Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Dibsville
robsthedon
Sentiel
7 posters

About the digital version of DeS

Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

About the digital version of DeS Empty About the digital version of DeS

Post by Sentiel Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:23 am

I know it's kinda late, but it just occured to me, that Demon's Souls is worldwide available on PSN and for free on PS+ in all regions.

When I think about it, what stops Namco, who now holds all rights to Soul series to enable cross region play? Yes, disc version will still be restricted, but digital versions could have this restriction lifted. I mean, I see no reason why they can't do it. It would be a waste to have digital versions with region locks on online.

I don't know if they did it, or no. I can't find the answer anywhere and use disc version myself, so I decided to ask you guys, in here, while I download the digital version. It's gonna take a while...

Also, will the digital version support my disc version save file? Just asking, so it doesn't get deleted when I start the game, or something.

Thanks. happy
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

About the digital version of DeS Empty Re: About the digital version of DeS

Post by robsthedon Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:39 am

Digital.… you mean there is an analogue version.

The region is to do with the servers. If they change that, then people playing the disc version wouldn't be able to play with peope playing the hdd version.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:49 am

How do you want me to call the version you download fron PSN Store then?

I didn't say change, just make new ones perhaps. Since the game has been released on Store worldwide, it doesn't make sense to have it region locked by servers. There isn't many people playing it, when compared to DkS, so getting a few servers to run it region free seems worthwhile.
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:33 am

Sentiel wrote:How do you want me to call the version you download fron PSN Store then?

I didn't say change, just make new ones perhaps. Since the game has been released on Store worldwide, it doesn't make sense to have it region locked by servers. There isn't many people playing it, when compared to DkS, so getting a few servers to run it region free seems worthwhile.

I guess they could do it too, but you have to subscribe to psn to get it rite ?
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:36 am

You have to subscribe to PSN to play online.
    If you mean PS+ then yes, you get it for free on PS+, but you can also buy it the usual way on PSN Store. So anyone can play it, not only + members.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:39 am

PS+ members just get it for free, that's the only difference.
    If you're not PS+ you have to buy it.
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:22 am

Sentiel wrote: If you mean PS+ then yes, you get it for free on PS+,.

My bad, I did mean PS+, would be cool if they did then, but I can't see it happening, would be some cost involved. Would be nice if you could download different versions i.e. an EU player could download the NA version. I thought about buying a NA disc, but the cost of shipping puts me off.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:32 am

I wouldn't mind switching between versions, given I could use one save file for all.
    A bit annoying, yes, but at least I would be able to play with most of guys in here, because majority seems to be from 'murica.
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:57 am

Sentiel wrote:I wouldn't mind switching between versions, given I could use one save file for all.
    A bit annoying, yes, but at least I would be able to play with most of guys in here, because majority seems to be from 'murica.

Pretty sure you couldn't use the same save file for EU & NA versions. You can make a build pretty quick, not really a problem. Would be interested to know if the download version uses the same save file. If it doesn't I might download, 4 slots just isn't enough.

Last edited by robsthedon on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:00 am

Yeah making builds is easy, but I'm bored of clearing the game to get to the locations I want to PvP in.
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:16 am

..I can't say for sure because I have not downloaded the digital version yet, even though I'm plus. I put it in my que' though for another day.

but, logic seems to reason that it would use the same save file. But...anyone having issues with only having 4 Spots. 4 per account...and your obviously on PlayStation...so accounts are free. Just make more? Dur?

imI'm really considering buying a *** and a EU digital demon souls game. Anyone know any trusted amazon rretailers that sell pan cards for different regions? I'd love to expand my player base, and get a trifecta of platinum trophies to boot.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:37 am

Hi,

i don't see any reason why they can't patch the disc versions for global play. If they can patch the digital version, why not the disc version?
    the big problem will be:
    1. sony
    2. costs for development and patch release in psn
    3. Atlus, Namco and Sony have to make it together happen and i don't see that

They are region free, i play EU, US and Asian (disc) Version on my EU ps3. I also got the EU digital version from ps+ and it's using the same savegames and trophies as the disc version.
    The different version all have seperate savegames and trophy sets, so i do have 3 savegames and trophy sets.

Getting the red stone is most annoying imo - to get your SL and to the place you want to PvP is easy and fast.
    Most here in forum are US, thats right, but the NA Version is the one with the least PvP action IME. After ps+ release in EU the EU version is the best IME, after that still the Asian (which was before na and eu psn release the one with the most pvp) and then the NA version. But that experience could also come from the time i play usually (GMT+1) from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. - the asian play around the clock (really, doesn't matter when u go online, always pvp action going on).

If u go to 4-1 sl around 120 on friday night in EU Version you have action in the middle between a normal Dark Souls FC and one of the Forum Events - no joke, 20-30 people in psn chat and non-stop action with very good player. It's oragnized PvP honorable duels red vs blue.
    And again, like i said in different threads here: I am allowed to invite people to that chat, just pm me or add me in psn (please short message in the friend request with forum name and u want to join EU FC chat).
    Yes it's a wiki dot FC - get over it, that are all very nice people and they tell the truth: Dark Souls is too easy and already dead due to chain BS fishing dark magic spamming hack0r megamule casuls...and Demons Souls was always better laughing

edit: really?? we have a word filter, that makes wiki dot (without the blank in the middle) to wikispaces? that's pathetic. makes me think about the "we"...perhaps that will be a "you" in the future. that are nice people who don't care about the forum/wiki i am active in, they invited me with open arms and at once wanted to dupe me the friends/foes ring if i don't have them....don't know where the wiki dot hate here comes from...perhaps because they have the better wiki - lol
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:01 pm

I was under the impression that Namco bandai holds all rights for the whole Soul series now, so patching the game with inernational servers, enabling all regions to play together should be technically possible, albeit maybe costy, thanks to server costs and Sony. I think it might be worth the investment, to get people pumped up for DkS II.

I had the pleasure of getting into Friday fight club by a pure accident and even got invited. However I refused the invite as I wasn't interested in DeS PvP anymore. Just like I can't stomach getting backstabbed from 5 meters in DkS, I can't stomach getting pushed around in full armor in DeS. I don't have a game mechanic problem with those, it just looks silly. Not to mention that most PvP fights in DeS look exactly as you have described them in your signature. Yes, DkS also has fallen into stereotype when it comes to PvP, but it still has at least slightly more variety imo.

Well we have a filter that changes a name of certain YouTube uploader to Someguy. There was some sort of bad history between him and this wiki/forum and maybe the same happened with wikispaces. I ran into few jerks in there myself and had a few heated arguments, only because they felt it was their obligation to do so. So yes, one of them is/was a mod. I could understand if something happened between these two sites. However myself, I don't care about either. I see no reason why be rivals and why not co-operate instead. I actually linked a wiki page from another wiki in here, cos this one was lacking and was told by some users in here to change it, or I may get into trouble. Shrug
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:27 pm

From my limited understand of networking and the intent behind the choice of a server system, the servers were make regional to cut down on lag in online play. When things are server based (as opposed to the peer-to-peer system they used for Dark Souls), lag can be much more random over large distances. Removing the region lock on the servers would put massive strain on the individual's console in terms of data it has to process, and make lag even more sporadic than it is in Dark Souls.

Hypothetical examples time:

Let's say you're in America. You get invaded by someone else on the American server. Both of your data is being processed at the same speed and you both have the shortest distance between each other for that data to travel. Your next invasion is by a person from the Japanese server. Instead of just stopping by the NA server, that data (on both of your ends) must stop by the NA server, get transferred to the JPN server, and then to other player's console (or JPN to NA for the opponent). That's alot of extra distance for the data to travel, and now suddenly your lag is much worse than it was last game because the data is taking much more time to process due to the continental distance it has to travel. Then your next invasion is by another NA player and things suddenly seem fine again.

Basically, it's very likely meant to prevent lag, and enabling cross region play would make it so much worse.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Reaperfan wrote:From my limited understand of networking and the intent behind the choice of a server system, the servers were make regional to cut down on lag in online play.  When things are server based (as opposed to the peer-to-peer system they used for Dark Souls), lag can be much more random over large distances.  Removing the region lock on the servers would put massive strain on the individual's console in terms of data it has to process, and make lag even more sporadic than it is in Dark Souls.

Hypothetical examples time:

Let's say you're in America.  You get invaded by someone else on the American server.  Both of your data is being processed at the same speed and you both have the shortest distance between each other for that data to travel.  Your next invasion is by a person from the Japanese server.  Instead of just stopping by the NA server, that data (on both of your ends) must stop by the NA server, get transferred to the JPN server, and then to other player's console (or JPN to NA for the opponent).  That's alot of extra distance for the data to travel, and now suddenly your lag is much worse than it was last game because the data is taking much more time to process due to the continental distance it has to travel.  Then your next invasion is by another NA player and things suddenly seem fine again.

Basically, it's very likely meant to prevent lag, and enabling cross region play would make it so much worse.
    If all of that is true, will it also apply to Dark Souls II?
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Sentiel wrote:If all of that is true, will it also apply to Dark Souls II?

Depends on how they set up the servers. If they simply have one massive central server system then the lag wouldn't be as sporadic since every regions' data would be processed over the same distance and there wouldn't be occasional "server jumps" based on region. Or maybe they set it up so that it detects cross-region servers and jumps one player to a server outside their region (linking an EU player to the NA server when they invade an NA player or vice versa). Or maybe they go with the "packet of players system" again, but this time let the packets roam between the regional servers. Like I said, my knowledge on the details of the subject of networking is limited (and that's describing it generously), so anything about the future that's not already established is guesswork at best for me straight face
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:24 pm

When you buy Dark Souls II it will come with a Fiber Optic internet connection and a custom modem optimized for Dark Souls play, effectively removing latency from the online component.

But you will still fail to summon nine times out of ten.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:29 am

Saturday-Saint wrote:When you buy Dark Souls II it will come with a Fiber Optic internet connection and a custom modem optimized for Dark Souls play, effectively removing latency from the online component.

But you will still fail to summon nine times out of ten.
    lol!
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:09 am

I'm pretty ure they are not stupid at FROM and will make a peer-server-peer connetion and not a peer-server-server-peer connection, just move one of the player to another server if they still have region server with the possibility to summon world wide. I would prefer that, so u have little lag while playing in your region. Also i would prefer if they first look for the region, before they chek the SL difference to choose which one u invade.

A server will always make a better connection with lesser lag. Pretty sure playing with japanese player will still be laggy, but the server can even out some lags (multiplayer ego-shooter have a long experience in that).
    I prefer to connect to a very good responding server. In Dark Souls the host is the server and do you know if they use WLAN (bad connection in terms of ping, better use your cable), or if the wife is streaming her soap while the guy is playing, taking bandwith and making the ping bad. If the same guy is not the host, but only a peer connected to the server there are much less packages to handle over that crappy connection.
    The biggest problems come from hosts with bad connections, and thats done with server.

So imo lag will be a little bit worse than in Demons Souls, because some player are on the other side of the world, but it will be better than in Dark Souls, because we have good server with fast responding and ping/lag balance between the clients.

p.s.: when i play the asian version of demons souls it's ok, eu version is better, but i never had lags while playing the asian version, that where as worse as the lags in Dark Souls when playing with asian people.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:37 pm