Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
twigsterxd
TheMeInTeam
hey its andres
StiffNipples
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
nines rodriguez
Aigaios
11 posters

Lets do some FOREST HUNTING!!! [AFK]

Aigaios
    Aigaios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Lets do some FOREST HUNTING!!! [AFK] Empty Lets do some FOREST HUNTING!!! [AFK]

Post by Aigaios Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:08 am

This is one of the most annoying things that i find about forest huntering, and I am sure you all know what I am talking about forest hunters that invade and then stand there AFK doing nothing. Both as a host and a fellow hunter i find it really irretating.

As a host:
    As a host AFK forest hunters invade me all the time, i sometimes get invaded by 5 different AFK phantoms in a row and I really hate it, its boring and personally i would rather get invaded and killed by the cheapest player in dark souls I dont know someone rocking a havel tank with an DMB buffed Great Club, most likely a hornet ring, using TWoP and then finishing me off with a 15 min spam of Dark Bead then get an AFK phantom just standing there.

As a hunter/red invader:
    Gangers in the forest dont really bother me, im sure that just like me most people invade there just to fight gangers as beating someone in a 2v1 or a 3v1 is really rewarding. However i also enjoy when a fellow phantom invades and the game changes to a 2v2 saying that i do not really need to explain why it is irritating for them to be AFK.

Now what i do not understand is why people do this and why is it so common? I understand if someone went to the toilet for 5 minutes but getting invaded by multiple different hunters all of which are AFK is just stupid, what is it with people frequently being AFK with a Cat Covenant Ring on?
    nines rodriguez

Lets do some FOREST HUNTING!!! [AFK] Empty Re: Lets do some FOREST HUNTING!!! [AFK]

Post by nines rodriguez Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 am

It's a way of collecting souls. Slapping on the cat ring and going afk is pretty common I guess thanks to the cat ring working also while you're hollow.
    Aigaios
    Aigaios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Lets do some FOREST HUNTING!!! [AFK] Empty Re: Lets do some FOREST HUNTING!!! [AFK]

Post by Aigaios Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 am

People... Really do it just for that? Look Skyward
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:20 pm

as a host... i punch them with my bare fist, especially if they forgot to take off their gear, as each hit landed does durability damage and so by the time they die to my bare fist their equipment is in shambles as a pahntom, i lead gankers to the afk'ers while running away to act as distractions/pursuers bait.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:33 pm

I think people just go to sleep/school and leave their guy afk, if they managed to luck out and be in the world of a high level player and the host gets killed the end up with potentially 800k souls for doing nothing.

It's bl**dy annoying I'll agree, and good tip sparks, I'll remember to do that next time. I usually Dark Hand them, although they're usually dry.
    Also seems rare that they're in armour, 99% of the time they're naked.
    Jerks.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Dark hand is a really good thing to do. Sometimes I'll leave em there (as a host) because that means they aren't getting any souls. I don't really care unless I'm a blue invader and really need help. Gankers are my specialty though, so I normally have a trick or two up my sleeve winking
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:07 pm

Armor isn't that expensive to repair.  One lucky host or even fellow catbro kill will pay their armor costs.

It would be a lot more amusing if you could egg-head them or something similarly annoying big grin.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:39 pm

well if the host is chaos servent +3... an afk-er would be the perfect way to see if you actually can infect people, just egg head em to death or near death then wait on the results, who knows, maybe you have to land a killing blow with the egg head to infect, so kill them with the egg head then wait till they get re summoned by alvina to see your results I guess.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:30 am

nines rodriguez wrote:It's a way of collecting souls. Slapping on the cat ring and going afk is pretty common I guess thanks to the cat ring working also while you're hollow.

I don't get this. Are you saying you put on cat ring, walk go AFK, get killed and still get souls? Then rinse repeat?
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:58 am

twigsterxd wrote:
    nines rodriguez wrote:It's a way of collecting souls. Slapping on the cat ring and going afk is pretty common I guess thanks to the cat ring working also while you're hollow.

I don't get this. Are you saying you put on cat ring, walk go AFK, get killed and still get souls? Then rinse repeat?

Usually, you die and get nothing, but sometimes you invade into a world where the host gets killed by a phantom before they can bother with you, or you invade into a world where there's already another invade and that guy dies.

It's lame but it will get souls I suppose.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm glad I play that area offline lol. Seems there's just too many things in one area that ruins online play for me
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:35 pm

For many people, this is their consistent way of getting souls on new characters. I've seen it be advocated on the forum plenty of times. It is annoying, but I do not very much care. Just steal their humanity, kill them, and wait for next invader. I just hate when I am using my tank, and have to waddle my mid rolling *** down the hill to kill someone, and for some reason, if I am not standing on top of the hill people think I'm going to gank them or do something cheap.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:36 pm

twigsterxd wrote:I'm glad I play that area offline lol. Seems there's just too many things in one area that ruins online play for me

If you just run from hidden bonfire to the boss (talk to alvina while running and all chasing will stop) you're only exposed to risk of invasion by FH for about 10-15 seconds, and only if they get the bridge spawn.  After that they won't reach you in time and only the rare darkwraith who bothers to invade near the fog might do anything to you.  I've never had to fight in the forest when I didn't seek PvP, because it's one of the single easiest areas to just run through in the game.

For many people, this is their consistent way of getting souls on new characters. I've seen it be advocated on the forum plenty of times

If someone's going to do it though, the most sensible time would be to just ASAP buy that crest and get the ring.  I hear a lot of them wear no armor and i'd be surprised if any had humanity, especially if they've been "at it" a while.  I wonder how many souls you'd get if you left it on for a few days...probably a ton.  Sigh...I hope From makes PvP levels more accessible to people who have beaten the game once in DS 2, and removes this kind of method where you can literally AFK your way to a built character.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:43 pm

This works especially well if you'll be gone a few hours and are at a higher level, like around 100. Then you get souls to buy all the titanite and weapons you need. I still think it's easier to just host and then kill invaders, but whatevs Shrug
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Some people don't even know they are doing it. I've once in a while managed to fail to turn my X-box off, and wound up invading people AFK all night.

Also I once ran an expirement on the average soul gain and in 8 hours, from 30 tests, and that number is approximately 6.2 million. The lowest value was 2.2 mil
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:02 pm

That's easily enough souls to give you a head start on a build and considerably cut the play time needed to create a build.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:07 pm

It gets pretty old when someone afk(a) invades your worlds, and shortly after another invader(b) invades.

You obviously see (b) coming for you. You fight em, you beat em, everything is fine. A couple fights later you get bored and wanna go somewhere else. You go to the door just to realize it is still fogged over because (a) is still in there. Then you spend an extra hour longer than you wanted to looking for (a) while other people keep invading.

That's the main reason i don't like the forest. I love fighting gank squads and imagining their faces when some puny dude with a chaos blade just wrecked through 3 people in 60 seconds like it was his job. Other than that, i'm a 1v1 guy.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:40 pm

I still think it's easier to just host and then kill invaders, but whatevs 

Surely you mean "faster".  It doesn't get much easier than "doing absolutely nothing" ^_^.

Also I once ran an expirement on the average soul gain and in 8 hours, from 30 tests, and that number is approximately 6.2 million. The lowest value was 2.2 mil

That's insane.  I wonder if you eventually wind up invading some high level gankers who leave you alive on purpose so that they consistently get 2v1?  That would explain a good amount of those souls by itself.

That's easily enough souls to give you a head start on a build and considerably cut the play time needed to create a build.

I suspect it's enough to hit your target level in a lot of cases, especially for SL100.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:42 pm

I watched the video's of these 30 tests, played in fast forward of course, and you're generally right. Most of the souls come from gankers keeping you alive, and whenever they kill darkwraiths, or their phantom dies, you receive a ton of souls.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:51 pm

I think you actually get the host bonus if a DW invader dies. That's a 10000% increase in the souls you would have gotten.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Nope. You get 10% souls for host and phantom deaths, and 50% souls from darkwraiths and spirits of vengeance (whom even though they are blue "allies" are worth souls when slain)
    omgoff
    omgoff

Post by omgoff Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:10 pm

I'll take afk SoV's over those that hide until someone else invades just so they can 2v1 you. Sometimes I wonder why people pvp if they can't handle a simple 1v1 fight...
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:45 pm

omgoff wrote:I'll take afk SoV's over those that hide until someone else invades just so they can 2v1 you. Sometimes I wonder why people pvp if they can't handle a simple 1v1 fight...

Alot of times it's not 1vs1. Hosts like to get summons so when forest invader shows, it's 2 or 3 vs 1 or 2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 pm