Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Acarnatia
Devokai
Cronotis
ScottyDoesKnow
8 posters

How viable is a non-spellcasting MLGS/MBH build?

Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

How viable is a non-spellcasting MLGS/MBH build? Empty How viable is a non-spellcasting MLGS/MBH build?

Post by Cabjoy Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:11 pm

I've never been much of a fan of int builds, since I much prefer the use of melee when playing this game so I've been messing around with the idea of a non-spellcasting build which uses the MLGS and MBH. The build I've come up with is below:

http://mmdks.com/3ch3

Alternative to this, I could menu swap the MLGS and MBH, take 4 points of END and put them on VIT and possibly have an enchanted rapier or something as my second weapon. In this build, like most of my others, the Wolf ring will stay on until low vit range where I menu swap to RTSR.

Also, some may dislike the use of the buckler, but it's lightweight and once used to it not so bad as it seens. Target shield could be used alternatively, and if menu swapping the MLGS and MBH I could change the shield altogether.

Let me know your thoughts!
    ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

How viable is a non-spellcasting MLGS/MBH build? Empty Re: How viable is a non-spellcasting MLGS/MBH build?

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:15 pm

It's definitely viable. I built a mage but found that I never really used the spells, but I loved the MLGS. Ended up just making a new build: http://mmdks.com/3cha

Edit: I always keep a chaos claymore in my inventory for GMB, same weight and requirements.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

How viable is a non-spellcasting MLGS/MBH build? Empty Re: How viable is a non-spellcasting MLGS/MBH build?

Post by Cabjoy Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Yeah, nice man. I'm definitely keen to try this out. First time I've been back here in months so keen to get playing again. Funny thing is though I've realised that all of my builds seem to follow a template now, varying ever so slightly from one another. This just happens to be an INT variant... Hahaha.
    ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:20 pm

I know what you mean, going down my character list you see about 8 thief masks. You also may want to consider swapping the bow and spear so you can dual wield, seems like it would be a mean combo.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:22 pm

That's a very good point. I'll mess around with it and see how I go. For a long time with my builds I used the sack as my only helm, purely so I could push the limits with my other armour and save some weight with the sack. I grew attached to that damned head piece haha.
    Cronotis
    Cronotis
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cronotis Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Go magic instead of enchanted when upgrading your bow.  Higher physical and magic AR.  And use moonlight arrows to get the highest dps.
    Devokai
    Devokai
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Devokai Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:43 pm

I'm going to use this time to promote my favorite dragon bro build type. Dragon form, obviously, 40 int 40 end, 40-50 vit. grass crest, MLGS/MBH, possibly a magic/enchanted composite or any xbow in second left slot. The roar actually buffs the mlgs R2s making them land reliably for 750 ish w/ max cov rank. I tend to run it with DWGR + lingering ring and use power within making those delicious r2s land for 1k+
    not to mention your annoyingly OP poke game if they close in. The only problem lies with being able to aim and read your opponent well for the r2s to count :PFun as heck build though!
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:34 pm

Yes! Another reason to rejoin the Dragonbro's! I loved my last dragon build.

Also thanks Cronotis for the tip about the comp. bow.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:55 pm

I've done this build already, except I have a single cast of pursuers. I mainly rely on the MLGS. It's viable.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:22 pm

You save a soul level starting as warrior not bandit. I guess you could use that point for something, if you wanted you could lower End by 2 and up dex and use Velka's as your secondary weapon and menu swap the MLBH, Of all the Int weapon Velka's will crit much harder than the other two, and functions fairly similarly to the spear only a bit shorter.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:02 am

Yes! That's a great idea! Warrior actually didn't save me a point earlier when I was making it, but I must've made some adjustments resulting in warrior being a better idea. I've been meaning to check out Velka's for a while, so this is a great time to try it out.

Here's my current build after some advice:

http://mmdks.com/3cny
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:43 am

Looks Rock Solid. Besides shuffling around armor out of personal preference and sense of style I wouldn't really change anything, stats is good, weapons is good. I'm pretty comfy myself with lower defenses/health so I would actually get 3 spell slots, but that's not the point of the no cast MLGS build.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:54 am

Yeah I'm feeling happy with this one. Armour for me isn't really about practicality. I've just had a few pieces I've gotten used to using that I repeat a lot (dingy robe, tattered cloth manchette mainly), and if I need a last minute poise break piece I just use the catarina legs or gauntlets, and DONE. Haha.
    xenon_nobelium
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:29 am

http://mmdks.com/2g3v correct way to equip mlbh/mlgs
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:56 pm

I don't see how it isn't viable.  MLGS, MLBH, and Velka's all have solid AR that is competitive with other stat scaling weapons, and MLGS has both combos and a solid special attack while the other two fill the spear and rapier roles as well as any other respectively, giving you pretty sound weapon balance.  As long as you have a backup for magic barriers you're in good shape.

A couple points in attunement is probably worth it over 100-200 extra hp though IMO.  The utility is pretty solid depending on what you pick.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:25 pm

For me at the moment, this build is less about being absolutely effective and more about trying something out that I've never tried before. I didn't want to add any spells mainly because I really want that bow in there, so don't want to sacrifice that slot. Also, in terms of magic barrier uses, I was thinking I could just swap to an Obsidian Greatsword and go HAM. Hopefully it all works out ok! big grin
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:45 am

Cabjoy wrote:For me at the moment, this build is less about being absolutely effective and more about trying something out that I've never tried before. I didn't want to add any spells mainly because I really want that bow in there, so don't want to sacrifice that slot. Also, in terms of magic barrier uses, I was thinking I could just swap to an Obsidian Greatsword and go HAM. Hopefully it all works out ok! big grin

That won't work.  The obsidian greatsword's requirements are 20/16; your build doesn't have enough dexterity to use it.  Here are some viable backup options for you:

1.  Elemental Claymore: An obvious choice for its solid moveset, comparable weight, and reasonable damage with present stats.

2.  Gravelord Sword: You need to 2h and menu swap the MLBH off, but you can use it at current stats.

3.  Put 3 points in dex and 2h obsidian: Good damage at low stats, though you'll still need to swap MLBH off.

4.  Elemental Rapier: A nearly ubiquitous backup on non-dex builds for its criticals and pokes, though a tough one to use with only a buckler unless you can land the parries.  If you can, this is one of the nastiest weapons available.

Elemental Mura and Zwei are both strong too, but too heavy for your build (mura is too heavy even if you menu swap MLBH off and needs 3 points in str to 2hand).  If you are willing to mid roll it's different, but this build isn't made to mid roll.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:29 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:
    Cabjoy wrote:For me at the moment, this build is less about being absolutely effective and more about trying something out that I've never tried before. I didn't want to add any spells mainly because I really want that bow in there, so don't want to sacrifice that slot. Also, in terms of magic barrier uses, I was thinking I could just swap to an Obsidian Greatsword and go HAM. Hopefully it all works out ok! big grin

That won't work.  The obsidian greatsword's requirements are 20/16; your build doesn't have enough dexterity to use it.  Here are some viable backup options for you:

1.  Elemental Claymore: An obvious choice for its solid moveset, comparable weight, and reasonable damage with present stats.

2.  Gravelord Sword: You need to 2h and menu swap the MLBH off, but you can use it at current stats.

3.  Put 3 points in dex and 2h obsidian: Good damage at low stats, though you'll still need to swap MLBH off.

4.  Elemental Rapier: A nearly ubiquitous backup on non-dex builds for its criticals and pokes, though a tough one to use with only a buckler unless you can land the parries.  If you can, this is one of the nastiest weapons available.

Elemental Mura and Zwei are both strong too, but too heavy for your build (mura is too heavy even if you menu swap MLBH off and needs 3 points in str to 2hand).  If you are willing to mid roll it's different, but this build isn't made to mid roll.

Ahh, it seems you missed my second post. I made some adjustments to the build and reposted it, and with that I can 2H the obsidian greatsword no problems. Here's a link to my build that's been fixed up:

http://mmdks.com/3cny

All good options though! At 16 str I've got a huge amount of flexibility.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 12:12 pm