Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
BLA1NE
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Akatik
callipygias
RANT
Serious_Much
Darkson
russiannightmare
bloodpixel
13 posters

Awesome, but impractical.

bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Awesome, but impractical. Empty Awesome, but impractical.

Post by bloodpixel Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:55 am

What are some really awesome looking weapons/armor but have little use? (i.e too heavy, stat requirements, damage, etc.)
    russiannightmare
    russiannightmare
    Addicted
    Addicted

Awesome, but impractical. Empty Re: Awesome, but impractical.

Post by russiannightmare Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:01 am

the dragon weapons like greatsword and dragon king great axe. I love them but the AR for the weight is just unimpressive but their 2H R2 attack is awesome. the armour for the bonfire watcher of anor londo is pretty sweet too but it doesn't reach any of the brake points for poise
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Clearly the Crystalline Armor Set... never figured out what the hell could be good about it, so bad compared to the others, and it's damn expensive to repair. Only advantage you get is looking awesome, and you can definetly call yourself unique-looking if you wear it at pvp.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:10 pm

BKGA for sure, maybe moonlight greatsword too.

on a serious note though, any fist weapon, whips and battle axe i feel are pretty awesome, but go a pretty raw deal in their abilities.

Also the change in combos for clubs from demons annoyed me, in Demons, axes and clubs had a pretty fast useful moveset, on Dark they fall to sheer neglect :|
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Speaking of fist weapons, is it now called Cestus or Ceastus or Caestus? Is the plural Cesti/Ceasti/Caesti?

Anyway, it is pretty neat at +14 for me, I have 50 str and 40 dex now (scales C with both), advantages are the slow recovery time and that the R1 attack does in no case bounce off shields or walls.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:28 pm

i think all the weapons have their usefulness, some of them are better of course. but the dragon weapons are kinda dissapointing except for the mlgs. i wish my mace wasnt so damn slow when you miss though.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Darkson wrote:Clearly the Crystalline Armor Set... Only advantage you get is looking awesome, .
    Plus it makes the wearer's moves kind of hard to see---at least it does for me. Especially when they're using a crystal sword as well, all those crystals poking out all over the place at odd angles. I was invaded by someone wearing that armor and I had the hardest time making out his attacks.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Because you were probably blinded by its gross incandescence! Did he use a crystal weapon too? It's such a rare thing to see also.
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Hands down Astora's Straight Sword. It's great in the beginning of the game, especially for a cleric. But, if you play normally, you can only upgrade it to a +1-2 before hitting Anor Londo where it becomes completely irrelevant.

Not to mention if you go to Darkroot and get the divine ember, then it becomes unnecessary that much sooner.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm

if they made the crystal weapons (not upgrade path ones) upgradeable via twinkling and costing 1000 souls to repair per point of damage theyd be pretty good, the greatsword has double c scaling and base damage of 190, but it can't go any higher...
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Darkson wrote:Speaking of fist weapons, is it now called Cestus or Ceastus or Caestus? Is the plural Cesti/Ceasti/Caesti?

Anyway, it is pretty neat at +14 for me, I have 50 str and 40 dex now (scales C with both), advantages are the slow recovery time and that the R1 attack does in no case bounce off shields or walls.
    As soon as I saw this thread I thought of the Caestus... Weak damage, no range, not very fast swings, not a versatile moveset. Unless I missed something, it's pretty useless. Which is too bad, because I really wanted to use it. Even the claws have that sweet rolling+R1 move (double roll attack!)

I guess its main use is for challenge runs.

Fun fact: no matter how much you upgrade a caestus, it does less damage than a SL1 Dragon's bare fists. Yeah...

Edit: disclaimer! Unless you go Regular +15, with high stats, and CMW/ DMB/ SLB buff... Then it'll do more damage than a SL1 dragon's fists!
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:29 pm

also one awesome but impractical weapon might be the server, ive never seen one used by anyone but me... the hp thing is negligible but is actually got good damage and lower requirements than the mura.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:07 pm

BLA1NE wrote:As soon as I saw this thread I thought of the Caestus... Weak damage, no range, not very fast swings, not a versatile moveset. Unless I missed something, it's pretty useless. Which is too bad, because I really wanted to use it. Even the claws have that sweet rolling+R1 move (double roll attack!)

I guess its main use is for challenge runs.

Fun fact: no matter how much you upgrade a caestus, it does less damage than a SL1 Dragon's bare fists. Yeah...

Edit: disclaimer! Unless you go Regular +15, with high stats, and CMW/ DMB/ SLB buff... Then it'll do more damage than a SL1 dragon's fists!

I think particularly for the Caestus you are supposed to make use of all it's advantages. These are the only one's I can think of right now:

-It weights only 0.5, practically nothing.

-You can keep hitting shields without worrying your arm might "bounce off".

-it seems to have a very similar swing speed and moveset as the short-/longsword, but the stamina regen starts sooner after a swing, meaning there is a slightly shorter recovery time after a swing.

If I compare it with a longsword because of the similar moveset, the disadvantages I can think of are:

-The damage it can do is of course much lower. For me (with currently 50 str and 40 dex at sl 151), my longsword +15 does 411 damage, BUT STILL my Caestus +14 does 325. Keep in mind that this is also pure physical damage, wich I experienced is always more effective than any elemental or magic damage. My regular +14 weapons always make (in few cases at least slightly) greater numbers appear above enemies. It would be interesting to know for me actually if pure physical damage also drains more stamina (of the enemy) when hitting their shield. I generally don't know how exactly it is determined much stamina a weapon drains... or poise...

-It's range is aweful of course.

(-You can't 2-hand it.)

BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:47 pm

Oh, another awesome but impractical: Priscilla's Dagger.

That is one sexy weapon! Its moveset is pretty cool too. But its range, again, is a problem, as with its damage.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Velka's Rapier. I'm using it in my current round on my high-level char. That R2 attack is AWESOME, but it does squat for damage. Still, it's fun dueling the Elite Knights of the Undead Parish with it; the damage is so low the duels last longer.

Oh, wait, I just remembered... it scales with intelligence, doesn't it? My guy only has 20 int.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:08 pm

yep, b scaling.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:10 pm

callipygias wrote:Oh, wait, I just remembered... it scales with intelligence, doesn't it?

Yes happy

On Topic: I'm gonna go with the Dragon Bone Fist's R2. I believe it's the only weapon besides the BKGA that can send characters flying into the air, and nothing feels more satisfying than seeing your victim soar (especially when you kill them with it and you see their death effect particles literally falling from the sky silly). But it's ridiculous startup and punishability on a miss along with *insert all previously made arguments about fist weapons here* make it a pretty underwhelming overall weapon sad
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XahQ5rLoOtg&safe=active
    my response to anyone who says the dragon bone fist has no use. imagine if you used it with a leeroy build at 50str and 30 faith for slb.

also heres a vid on velkas rapier:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1512jyvJVmU&feature=related&safe=active
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:25 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:my response to anyone who says the dragon bone fist has no use

I never said it has no use lol, I still say my favorite run I've ever made of this game was my dual-fisting build. Ran all the way through NG++ with it using nothing but Dragon Bone Fists on both hands (using Caestus to supplement between Iron Golem Cores). I'd even go so far as to say their my favorite weapons I've ever used happy. But I also accept the fact that fist weapons are indeed impractical in the overall scheme of things when compared to all the other options available to a player. Loving this video, the player definitely knows his way around a Shoryuken winking, but I'd probably be lying if I said he wouldn't be doing better using the same stats and buffs but two-handing a DGA instead :|

EDIT: Loving the SF clips he's using lol
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:51 pm

BLA1NE wrote:Oh, another awesome but impractical: Priscilla's Dagger.

That is one sexy weapon! Its moveset is pretty cool too. But its range, again, is a problem, as with its damage.
    Plus I have never once got it to bleed an enemy, that 500 damage bleed looks so great but I have yet to see it...
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Anybody ever use the Lucerne as a permanent weapon? and if so what'd you think? I'm thinking about trying it for my next build.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:57 pm

I noticed the damage seems identical to the Halberd, but the moveset is meh.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:07 pm

@Sparkly

I love the DBF video! (Haven't watched the other one yet.) But c'mon, try that nowadays and you'll get pivot bs'ed before you can say "Sho-". PvP was very different back then.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:11 pm

The moveset was actually what I was attracted to. I liked the pole arms in Demon's Souls, but I find the stumbling effect you get after swinging the majority of pole arms in Dark to be pretty off putting. The Halberd in particular
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:14 pm

^Have you used it against opponents though, or are you saying that because it's a reason why you haven't? Because I've faced people using them, and I can tell you that stumbling is very annoying to be on the receiving end. I'd dodge the hit and come back in for a counter, only to get hit by the damn little stumble at the end for full damage. That stumble is like the weapon gets a free extra attack, with bonus range, at the end of its strike.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:11 pm