Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Hatsune Miku
reim0027
GrinTwist
Serious_Much
Soul of Stray Demon
9 posters

Words being censored.

Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Words being censored.  Empty Words being censored.

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm really just going to make this thread just for this.

Why is the word "***" censored? I mean seriously? 
    G a y 

It shouldn't be.. that is all.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Words being censored.  Empty Re: Words being censored.

Post by Serious_Much Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:46 pm

I actually agree, in Britain it's actually just what everyone refers to homosexuals as and is the preferred term, but it could still be stigmatised in some countries which could cause issue
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Serious_Much wrote:I actually agree, in Britain it's actually just what everyone refers to homosexuals as and is the preferred term, but it could still be stigmatised in some countries which could cause issue
    Same way in America. In fact just earlier today I got upset because someone used the word "tranny" which is much worse if you actually know what it's usually referred to, makes me wonder if shemale works too?

Both those words deserved to be censored. They really deserve it. Like calling someone's mother a MILF.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:02 pm

The issue with that word, is rather obvious if you go on most other areas of the internet such as YouTube or 4Chan. Now that's not to compare this forum with those places but the issue with that word is that it still is used in derogatory fashion towards others and for some it can be seen as offensive if they are not a homosexual.

It's a little disappointing that it's still used in such a way but the truth of it is is that people use it as a word to offend others rather than to describe another individual.

Now, why the word "tranny" isn't censored I have no idea. It's a word that's almost always used in a negative light on the internet as well and I wouldn't mind if it's censored either.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:08 pm

It can swing both ways (pun not intended). It can be used to describe homosexuals without insulting them. But, it can also be used as a derogatory term. Then, it can be subtle insults and promote misunderstandings as well. Like: "don't be so ***", could be sarcastic, but may also offend some people.

Sometimes it is better to prevent the fire than it is to extinguish it.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 pm

reim0027 wrote:It can swing both ways (pun not intended).  It can be used to describe homosexuals without insulting them.  But, it can also be used as a derogatory term.  Then, it can be subtle insults and promote misunderstandings as well.  Like: "don't be so ***", could be sarcastic, but may also offend some people.

Sometimes it is better to prevent the fire than it is to extinguish it.
    Still doesn't fix the issues with the other words. Like I said, I was just upset earlier today by someone (won't name names) who was using quite rude language.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Pretty much what Grin and reim said. The word " *** " should be censored for reason of avoiding conflict with others, and to avoid offending other people.

As for other words like tranny, beats the hell out of me why it hasn't been censored yet. But it should be.
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:05 pm

I tend to agree with Grin and Vinyl about the reasoning behind censoring the word 'g4y'. Its a common enough orientation that being able to use the word as a derogitory term (which is still very common, especially on the internet) is bound to offend someone eventually.
    That being said I would actually not mind it being uncensored, as its also a common way to refer to homosexuals here too.

With regards to the word 'tranny' being censored, I think it would be more a case of people who would be personally offended by that word are fewer than those offended by the word 'g4y'. Not because the term is any less offensive but because most people don't interact with those it is slandering on as regular basis as the other term.

If it really bothers you, which it quite rightly seems to, I might suggest you PMing one of the admins explaining 'what' it is you find offensive, and briefly explaining your situation so they know 'why' it offends you.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:07 pm

In regards to trannie, they probably just didn't think about adding it because it isn't as commonly used.  If people started using the term a lot on the forum they'd probably add it to the censor.  I just don't really ever see people using the term on the forum aside from in this thread.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:12 pm

There are a few words not censored that were censored before. You can't type *** but you can type *******. In chat anyways. The words I used were @ss and A-hole. In chat they aren't censored.
    As far as your word MILF goes, it's considered a compliment and not derogatory to women. At least, not the ones I know.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Hart wrote:
    That being said I would actually not mind it being uncensored, as its also a common way to refer to homosexuals here too.
    I find it better to be safe than sorry.

That's my take on the word ***.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:36 am

We all know it wouldn't be used correctly. I know we'd like to think of ourselves with the utmost regards to proper speech and etiquette; however, one mustn't be easily swayed by the minority. The majority of users would use it in an inappropriate context. I highly doubt anyone would use it in a derogatory way intentionally, save for trolls, but why let it get to that level. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You can say homosexual, which is the "politically correct" term. That being said, it should make it unnecessary for "ga"y to be uncensored.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:25 am

1. No flaming, no cursing (at least not too much), no insulting, absolutely no homophobia, sexism, or racism and their associated slurs.

I will post no more

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:43 pm