Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
The_Red_Drifter
AnimeRamen
Lacedaemon
CrackSouls
Aigaios
AnCapaillMor
Juutas
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
reim0027
Hingle McCringleberry
Icegodzilla
Qyntius
Sneezer
Leet
The Letter X
19 posters

I Have a Question for the PvP Community

AnimeRamen
    Casual
    Casual

I Have a Question for the PvP Community - Page 2 Empty Re: I Have a Question for the PvP Community

Post by AnimeRamen Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Katanas are not over powered. They are no meant to be spammed (people who say katanas are cheap because of this are fools). Also Bleed is easily rolled through.

Katanas are meant for hit and run strategies. If you are to fear anything in this game it is a person who knows this and can perform an instantaneous running rb with the katana.

I've had no problems with katana users because most of them just spam, or have really telegraphed/predictable patterns when they go for a rolling or running attack. Like I said before the person to fear is the one who makes his attacks instantaneous and un-dodge-able; this can be said with any weapon. However, these people are few and far between.
    The_Red_Drifter
    The_Red_Drifter
    Addicted
    Addicted

I Have a Question for the PvP Community - Page 2 Empty Re: I Have a Question for the PvP Community

Post by The_Red_Drifter Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:08 pm

Don't fret so hard. I took up spears for a month or so before learning that people tend to dislike them because they're kinda easy modo. Was kinda depressed but I was winning much more than I typically do anyways. I hold no salt for both kats and spears, although the ninja ring kinda makes things much more annoying than it should.
    I don't really see why you even need to gimp yourself so much. Katanas aren't scary, and although easy to become ok with, still tend to have a deeper strategy to it like most weapons.
    nakato

Post by nakato Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:38 pm

its mostly people not having a clue on how to fight katanas, or they just dont like them so they trashtalk instead. in my opinion with your restrictions its more than fair.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:46 pm

The only thing I dislike about Katana's is ninja flippers. Regardless of the amount of poise they have, but especially if they have 53 poise.

The katana is simply the most efficient overall weapon, and when used with the DWGR it removes a lot of the skill neccesary to play dark souls effectively in PvP. There is genuinely no weapon, including spears, that is as effective as the katana, and it's only saving grace is the skill ceiling neccesary to reach that point. I don't really care about Katana users. If you're using it, I'm on to the next match as soon as one of us falls, and i won't think about it anymore, because i'm here to relax, and letting it trouble me will accomplish nothing.
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Im not gonna lie. the only build i'm scared to face in dark souls is a ninja flipping washing pole build wearing a catarina helmet with the wolf ring

I still see him in my dreams.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Zeta Prime wrote:Im not gonna lie. the only build i'm scared to face in dark souls is a ninja flipping washing pole build wearing a catarina helmet with the wolf ring

I still see him in my dreams.
    Was his name WTG?
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:07 pm

I couldn't tell you... I just remember getting a pure oldfashion beatdown in the burg as if I had no idea what I was doing. it was on ps3 he was wearing a catarina helmet with the sage robe.. I can't really remember the pants or gloves but I definitely felt helpless xD I guess everyone will remember their first time getting purely shown up in darksouls (skillwise).. I was using my longsword build.. a weapon I feel that I am very competent with and I couldn't get on the offensive.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 pm

I don't feel the katana is a demonstration of being put down, purely because when appropriately weilded if ninjaflipping, you only have 2 frames during which you're vulnrable, and so unless your opponent has a longer weapon or lag is involved, they can ONLY ever trade hits.

In otherwords the build has a 0% loss rate when properly used: that's just a mechanical fact.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Thank you everyone for your answers. I really appreciate that so many of you believe that I should not care what others think of me (And honestly, I do not - I'm just wondering if other people would react differently to seeing a katana under these conditions), but after seeing that so many of you also felt the need to comment on how good and easy to use katanas are even after I specifically requested the opposite of that, I believe I have the answer I was looking for.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest if someone has a problem with me, but I'd much prefer it if we both had a duel we enjoyed. I will request for a moderator to lock this thread since I believe it has served its purpose.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Anything goes! Bring out the chaos rapier hornet stabs if you want! I guess this is from excessive fighting in the forest, but I feel that this is the best way to disadvantage myself: letting other people make themselves stronger, especially while I use my bonewheel shield in my right hand and a jagged ghost blade in the left.

Now, on making katana builds "fair," do what you want. No matter what you do people will complain that you are being "a f---ing tryhard noob" or "a hacker bcuz u cant have those stats." Katanas get hate, but nowhere near as much as casters. God help you if you're a pure caster with intelligence, faith, and pyro. "Stop spamming spells." Wtf do you want me to do hit you with my talisman?!

ahhhhh I'm digressing. If you want to get "GG" messages you have to make the fight stand out. Try doing something "new" with the katan. Maybe dual wield with a dagger or something. A katana user who implemented the full movest, including jump attacks, would provide a fun fight.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:59 pm

hey its andres wrote:Anything goes! Bring out the chaos rapier hornet stabs if you want! I guess this is from excessive fighting in the forest, but I feel that this is the best way to disadvantage myself: letting other people make themselves stronger, especially while I use my bonewheel shield in my right hand and a jagged ghost blade in the left.

Now, on making katana builds "fair," do what you want. No matter what you do people will complain that you are being "a f---ing tryhard noob" or "a hacker bcuz u cant have those stats." Katanas get hate, but nowhere near as much as casters. God help you if you're a pure caster with intelligence, faith, and pyro. "Stop spamming spells." Wtf do you want me to do hit you with my talisman?!

ahhhhh I'm digressing. If you want to get "GG" messages you have to make the fight stand out. Try doing something "new" with the katan. Maybe dual wield with a dagger or something. A katana user who implemented the full movest, including jump attacks, would provide a fun fight.
    I'm actually doing a build that does exactly that btw. I've got a few recorded fights of people rage quitting because they got angry at my spells so I poked them to death with the catalyst.

The only issue I have with katana's is the user that 75% of their actions are flips, running attacks, and rolling attacks. They are boring for the same reason the backstab fisher, the hacker, and the stun locker are. The fight is boring and pertains to doing the same risk-free action over and over.
    The_Red_Drifter
    The_Red_Drifter
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by The_Red_Drifter Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm guessing you can harass a katana flipper with turtle poking, prediction, and the Leo Ring, although that is yet another boring tactic.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:20 pm

The_Red_Drifter wrote:I'm guessing you can harass a katana flipper with turtle poking, prediction, and the Leo Ring, although that is yet another boring tactic.
    "Unless you have a spear or rapier you have no response"
    That's why I dislike it. The only reliable response to it is to be boring yourself. It's a metagame that takes away from dark souls fun to me.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Rynn!big grin 

How the hell have you been?
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Locked on request.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:03 am