Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Soul of Stray Demon
Tolvo
Marino.
RANT
steveswede
Forum Pirate
mugenis4real
Serious_Much
Icegodzilla
Yarxov
Hue
FexDS
Scurrilous Straggler
GrinTwist
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Hatsune Miku
Hart
Emergence
22 posters

Posts migration

Poll

How important is preserving your post count for new forums?

[ 9 ]
    Posts migration I_vote_lcap30%Posts migration I_vote_rcap [30%] 
    [ 21 ]
    Posts migration I_vote_lcap70%Posts migration I_vote_rcap [70%] 

Total Votes: 30
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Posts migration Empty Posts migration

Post by Emergence Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:07 am

So as everyone is aware we are going to begin the process of moving to our own hosted forums and as Fex has said we are looking into hiring someone to do the migration. His services will set us back 600$ so before we fork over the cash I want to know how important it is for people that their post count (not rep or points) carry over into the new forum. We want to know what everyone's honest opinion is. We do things like this to increase everyone's engagement so it's important to us to ensure that as many people as possible are enjoying the site and its offerings! I'm also horrendously sick and typing this poll out of delirium while Fex cattle prods me so if this makes no sense blame her.
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Posts migration Empty Re: Posts migration

Post by Hart Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:22 am

Dont really mind, but then I dont have a great deal of posts or rep compared to everyone here.
    Small thing you might want to consider is this: you've suggested having a clean slate as far as rep goes for the reason of making new comers feel welcome etc. I kind of think there may be an argument to be made about doing the same with post count; while its not nearly as 'official' its another way for members to measure their standing within the community, so IMO it would be a good idea to have a fresh start across the board.
    But as I said I have next to none of each so maybe Im just jelly silly

Thats just my $00.02.
    And it sounds like its going to cost a not-inconsiderable amount of money to do it, so as it goes I would say its not nessacary and Fex can go buy some new games instead lol.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:24 am

Vary important!
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:24 am

I voted "very important" but that was before I read $600.

I won't ask you guys to do that.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:50 am

^Basically what he said, post count sort of matters to me but at the same time it's not a big deal if it were to reset.
    Scurrilous Straggler
    Scurrilous Straggler
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Scurrilous Straggler Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:55 am

I don't mind either way.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:02 am

Why do you even need to pay a guy to do it? Couldn't you just manually jot down people's posts and then edit them into the user's Fextralife profile?

I'd even do that for free. It'd be time consuming, I'm sure but it's probably not impossible either.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:11 am

It's not just the postcount but the entire posting history. All boards and threads and the posts therein will be copied over.

We have to pay someone because Forumotion will not allow us to export (part of their evil plan for domination lol) and I rather not mess it up - the guy who we would be hiring has been very forthcoming and flexible with us but the process is really long (scripts running for a whole day) so it is understandable it is expensive - 500,000 posts will do that!

I appreciate we don't want to spend money we don't have - I rather spend on getting us features, but at the same time I don't want you all to feel you just lost your entire history on the forums. So the option is here vote away.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:27 am

The posts themselves matter more than the post count.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:59 am

Hue wrote:The posts themselves matter more than the post count.
    Poetic.

It doesn't really reflect much (beyond how many times youve posted.) Its not a competition or anything.
    Icegodzilla
    Icegodzilla
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Icegodzilla Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:45 am

so your asking if its ok for everything to reset for the new forums? or are u asking if its ok to get rid of the post counter? I don't really care if everything gets reset, but i like having a post counter its kinda fun to see how many posts i have done
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:53 am

If the threads could be moved over and not the post count so that it's a bit cheaper I'm more than happy with that.

Provided of course all 502 sections of random off topic are brought along for the ride winking

.......I'm really quite tempted to move this thread to off topic, it's in the wrong section silly
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:22 am

I say that we go with a total wipe, because fresh starts are ever so exciting! bounce 
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:20 am

The cost is steep but as we have always done, if we feel like something is meaningful to the community we don't have an issue making the investment. This is all about us as a community and making something that we are all connected to. Since this is a major move we are trying to do it the right way. The good news is that we won't ever have to move again.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:47 am

Just as with the rep system wipe, I'm not really for it. These people have given reasons, at best, based on being welcoming.

What about being right? If You ask a question as a newcomer, and you get 6 plausible answers in 30 posts, how are you to determine who is right without testing and wasting resources or points?

Answer: Rep/postcount (in that order.) If 3 people with 200+ rep and 3000 posts give the same answer, that's probably the right one. With a clean slate, there is no way to even make a reasonable guess between plausible answers unless someone knows the math and/or posts video proof. I see this alot in other forums.

That said, it's not a huge deal for me, I know my stuff, and will again for 2. $600 is a lot of money too.

It could be a problem for viewers and casual members though, and that's my concern, so this is where I'll voice it.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:52 am

This is what I think.

Post count - Not important
    Migrate threads - Only important ones for archiving, no point archiving spams posts

I also think that a new website requires a fresh start and anything we want to start up again like a brony thread can be done in a matter of seconds. It would also stop year old posts rising from their grave with the power of necromancy as their won't be any.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:56 am

Forum Pirate wrote:Just as with the rep system wipe, I'm not really for it. These people have given reasons, at best, based on being welcoming.

What about being right? If You ask a question as a newcomer, and you get 6 plausible answers in 30 posts, how are you to determine who is right without testing and wasting resources or points?

Answer: Rep/postcount (in that order.) If 3 people with 200+ rep and 3000 posts give the same answer, that's probably the right one. With a clean slate, there is no way to even make a reasonable guess between plausible answers unless someone knows the math and/or posts video proof. I see this alot in other forums.

That said, it's not a huge deal for me, I know my stuff, and will again for 2. $600 is a lot of money too.

It could be a problem for viewers and casual members though, and that's my concern, so this is where I'll voice it.
    Bottom of page. Quoting self.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:
    Forum Pirate wrote:Just as with the rep system wipe, I'm not really for it. These people have given reasons, at best, based on being welcoming.

Bottom of page. Quoting self.
    For post count purposes, of course silly
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Don't care at all,I actually think it's kinda cool if we start from scratch.,
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:32 pm

steveswede wrote:This is what I think.

Post count - Not important
    Migrate threads - Only important ones for archiving, no point archiving spams posts

I also think that a new website requires a fresh start and anything we want to start up again like a brony thread can be done in a matter of seconds.  It would also stop year old posts rising from their grave with the power of necromancy as their won't be any.
    While I agree, more threads = more hits = more members. Extra posts from the on topic treads could help
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:30 pm

I would volunteer to copy and paste important Threads like Tolvos resource Threads and some of Rynns old topics to get some of the good stuff this Community produced on there .

I'd say we completely ignore the Off-Topic section as everything in there can be created again just like that .

Either way i think it's not needed to pay 600 bucks for something silly as this .

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:39 pm

I already have the coding and such saved for my threads.

EDIT: Though I'll have to remake the entire resources thread anyway since all the links will break.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Tolvo wrote:I already have the coding and such saved for my threads.

EDIT:  Though I'll have to remake the entire resources thread anyway since all the links will break.
    We could copy paste every Thread that is linked to in your Thread to boot .
    It might be a little work but i think i can give a little bit of time to save Fex and co some Moneys
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:46 pm

If possible, it would be nice to be able to keep everything. Although because of a cost, I think keeping most of the threads is a good idea anyway and only the obvious spam should go.

With rep and whatever, I think it would be good to reset it anyway, just as a restart so newer members have an equal chance as the older ones.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:23 pm

I am leaning to Soul's side with this. While I like to at least keep the post count, keeping most threads would be a wise cost-effective measure for you two. My only issue with it is that how....how do I say this in an easy to understand way? An issue of how the newer players to the series wont have reason to trust the older/experienced players due to the experience players losing creditability.

Also a bonus for me is that I hope I can use the avatars I want again with no issue from the engine (right term?).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:47 am