Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Liff Daddy
Carphil
Whknight
callipygias
Tolvo
skarekrow13
Forum Pirate
hoeshack
12 posters

Best Armour/Weapon/Sheild for Ornstein & Smough battle.

hoeshack
    hoeshack

Best Armour/Weapon/Sheild for Ornstein & Smough battle. Empty Best Armour/Weapon/Sheild for Ornstein & Smough battle.

Post by hoeshack Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:47 pm

About to go up against Ornstein & Smough. Just looking for opinions on the best gear to take into the battle.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Best Armour/Weapon/Sheild for Ornstein & Smough battle. Empty Re: Best Armour/Weapon/Sheild for Ornstein & Smough battle.

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:50 pm

any weapon your familiar with +eagle shield is a good way to go
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Best Armour/Weapon/Sheild for Ornstein & Smough battle. Empty Re: Best Armour/Weapon/Sheild for Ornstein & Smough battle.

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Definitely Eagle for any melee build. That helps a ton. The best gear is Solaire's however, as in, when he is in it and fighting by your side. I soloed them in NG but more than appreciated some help the next two times.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm pretty sure lightning weapons do less damage to Smough, and they definitely do less to Ornstein. I've had a lot of success with Charcoal Resin on weapons, to deal more damage. What is important for this fight is mobility, you'll definitely need to constantly be moving around these two. As well a Greatshield is advised, since you cannot parry them. Trust me, you cannot parry Super Smough. Prostration
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Yeah, eagle shield's probably the best for that fight. Most important thing for me was the dark wood grain ring, though. Makes the fight much easier, I think.

As far as weapons go I'd just recommend something with at least a little sweep to its attack. I've watched several vids of people locking on to giant Ornstein and poking repeatedly at the air between his legs.

*edit: Good point, tolvo, fire damage is HUGE in this fight. Lots of people use Quelaag's Furysword and mash away.

Last edited by callipygias on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Fire weapons are both their weakness.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Naked, eagle shield, crystal halberd
    Liff Daddy
    Liff Daddy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Liff Daddy Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 pm

For armor it's better to be mobile and dodge their attacks, but a high stability shield will also protect you from nearly every hit.

And to parrot others, fire weapons are very effective and lightning weapons aren't very effective. Pyromancy and Sorcery are also good.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Is Quelaags Fury Sword better than a Fire Uchi+10 or the Gravelord Sword+5?
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:16 pm

If you need armor, the silver knight set is pretty light with good lightning defense.
    I was surprised at how easy I took them down solo at level 40, even super ornstein, with just the default occult club (found in anor londo) and 18 faith.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Best idea is a shield with over 70 stability, then any weapon you like will do.

However if you can get a fire weapon you'll find it a lot easier, they're both weak to it.

also if you got any ranged attacks they help loads in the fight
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Carphil wrote:Naked, eagle shield, crystal halberd
    This, but have enough armor to be able to roll.
    hoeshack
    hoeshack

Post by hoeshack Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Ornstein & Smough are now officially goners cheers . Thanks for the advice. The Crystal Halberd at +3 is particularly effective.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:48 am