Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Yesuurd
Serious_Much
GrEeNgObLiN
7 posters

Correct definition Tank.

GrEeNgObLiN
    GrEeNgObLiN
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Correct definition Tank. Empty Correct definition Tank.

Post by GrEeNgObLiN Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:43 am

Since FC now they speak of no tanks.
    Example me. I uses dwgr and rofp.
    Ive put end to 47 so i can wear my outfit giants exept helmed
    I dont uses wolfring.
    I can take a one hit begore i stagger
    So am i a tank? I uses light weapons like claws,great scythe, and claymore now also
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Correct definition Tank. Empty Re: Correct definition Tank.

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:46 am

It depends on the playstyle as well as equipment Gob.

tanking is pretty much using your poise to hit your opponent, and usually relies on having greater firepower than your opponent.

In the same way you can tank a hit to get a pivot BS, or even just to land a grounding hit like Chaos blade 2H R2.

In short, tanking is taking advantage of your poise and using the extra time to your advantage. I see it more as a fighting method than a build type because of the way DkS builds are

In my opinion tanking is fair game as long as it's not used to do things like pivot BS.
    GrEeNgObLiN
    GrEeNgObLiN
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by GrEeNgObLiN Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:51 am

So if i can make someone stagger to hit again makes me a tank correct me if im wrong. It happend last event that i could hit 2 hits i akso get killed by someone with moonsword that hit me to dead cause i stagger
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:54 am

no I mean you can take hits from your opponent to attack and stagger them. So what the guy with the moonsword who took your attacks to then stagger you with their weapon, that's a way to tank.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:58 am

I am like G, my usual armor is black iron chest and giant legs,gauntlets with DWGR...
    Tanking is so boring for me although it is easily over run by nimbleness.
    On the topic of FC it all amounts to not letting duels last for 1hour and
    basically be boring I think.

So the shield part with full havels and hidding behind it is the signature tank move, I personally don't have problems with someone in full havels two handing any big weapon,
    that is easily dodged and hacked away with patience and also you can BS or parry tanks fairly easily.

What do you think?

Sometimes people get too nitpicky about stuff in DKS, at the end of the day there is always a way to
    address anything thrown at you and any setup balances advantages with disadvantages.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:02 am

I think hiding behind a shield isn't tanking, that's turtling in my opinion. The definition of turtling in fact, you don't need a spear or rapier to do it.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:04 am

Serious_Much wrote:I think hiding behind a shield isn't tanking, that's turtling in my opinion. The definition of turtling in fact, you don't need a spear or rapier to do it.

ahh I got confused, they both start with a T you are right I am talking about turtling. So is tanking something
    frowned upon in the community?

It is the turtling that to me is kind of wack.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:09 am

To me it depends how tanking is used. I don't frown upon it, to me it's a legitimate tactic. The only thing i think is bad is if you using tanking to BS.

You gotta remember that you don't have to tank always, you can dodge around then tank a blow to get one in. In my opinion it's a technique and method of PvP that can be expanded to an entire playstyle, but doesn't have to be.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:12 am

Ahh yes when you just kind of pass through an opponent like a ghost and suddenly are behing him, this is very personal but I hate stunlocking, that's cuz I am kind of a "dex monkey" dunno if that term is too oldschool or still used, to me stunlocking is sometimes as bad as a BS.

Many people using the BKGA and MGS for this exact reason only.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:20 am

Thing is, like with all tactics there are ways to counter it. Just like Magic there is are ways to avoid being stunlocked, and frankly it's easier to avoid, and is easier to punish than a BS attempt. Thats why i think it's not cheap compared to a BS.

You gotta realise though if you play demons, you get stunlocked from Daggers even, on that game i find PvP is stunlock or die.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:21 am

Yes many times it is.
    PPG-3-
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PPG-3- Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:27 am

I have a tank build. it's actually very successful in PVP. It runs with a chaos blade, a bow, pyro glove, and dark hand. Never use the R2 attack for the chaos blade.

51 points into endurance though. And I ninja flip. But that was the goal of this build. I was hoping to bust in out in FC (whenever I can manage to make these Sat night meetings) but if its going to be frowned upon....

I also use Pyro too. I hear casting is being frowned upon too. sad
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:30 am

PPG, casting is okay with most i think, but reapers getting some polls out in relation to casting, but i think most are in favour of it, don't worry big grin (my chaos blade build gave me the same worries lol)

I don't think it's frowned upon having a tanking build. as long as you don't use tactics to BS then i think it should be fine happy
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:32 am

PPG-3- wrote:I have a tank build. it's actually very successful in PVP. It runs with a chaos blade, a bow, pyro glove, and dark hand. Never use the R2 attack for the chaos blade.

51 points into endurance though. And I ninja flip. But that was the goal of this build. I was hoping to bust in out in FC (whenever I can manage to make these Sat night meetings) but if its going to be frowned upon....

No that is not true, FC allows magic in every way only thing not allowed is TWOP and spamming wotg.
    Go read the threads well and also if you had not noticed we have some polls going for next FC.

LOL ECHO OVER HERE?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 am

PPG-3- wrote:I have a tank build. it's actually very successful in PVP. It runs with a chaos blade, a bow, pyro glove, and dark hand. Never use the R2 attack for the chaos blade.

i think you can use that, theres no spamming though, specially stuff ,like getting bs'd then people casting grea combust as youre getting up, i hate that and ive seen people in FC do it, its so cheap.
    GrEeNgObLiN
    GrEeNgObLiN
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by GrEeNgObLiN Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 am

I mostly dodge the whole tile as many of you now. Especially when i uses claws. But i do wear heavy armor cause my high end and light weapons. I dont use havens ring. Only reason giant armor is because many armors have light defence on lightning and there so many lightning weapons.
    But i have no probl using lighter armors. Its just because i felt was talking about me cause of the other tread where they said no tanking thats why this tread
    PPG-3-
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PPG-3- Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 am

Yea I've been trying to keep up with threads, which grow at a ridiculous rate I might add. But from what I am reading, the anti-casting motion does get alot of support. Nothing official yet, but it may lean start leaning that way. Not the end of the world I know. And my tank does not back-stab.

will there be a mid-week FC happening?

GC when getting up from a BS? dirty. i'd be very surprised to see that happen during FC.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:46 am

Yesuurd wrote:

No that is not true, FC allows magic in every way only thing not allowed is TWOP and spamming wotg.
    Go read the threads well and also if you had not noticed we have some polls going for next FC.

LOL ECHO OVER HERE?

I guess we're thinking the same on this subject eh? silly
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:48 am

PPG-3- wrote:Yea I've been trying to keep up with threads, which grow at a ridiculous rate I might add. But from what I am reading, the anti-casting motion does get alot of support. Nothing official yet, but it may lean start leaning that way. Not the end of the world I know. And my tank does not back-stab.

PPG, I think people aint that against it, I have seen some purists, but i think on the most part casting is game. Even on the WOG poll reaper's got going, the support is in favour of allowing it, so i think casting as a whole is gonna be allowed in the next set of rules.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:17 pm

i agree with yesuurd. but only thing is there basically arent tank builds in dark souls. the fact you can use dwgr to get fast roll even with the heaviest armor in the game kinda throws the whole idea of tank builds out the window. It also makes it smart to just wear at least medium or heavy armor with dwgr which pretty much everyone does. wearing light armor is a handicap and there is no ring combo that i know of that makes up for the amount of poise and deff you can get from just the dwgr and decent end.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:39 pm

I lost 10% of my fights because I preffer looks over poise, so I just use anything I want (light armors of course) with wolf's ring. Thats for my dex build of course.

Now imagine if I do like everybody else and put a super heavy armor and instead of wolf ring, dark wood grain ring.

Would that make me better at PVP? I don't think so.

I like the light roll, its perfect for a roll attack, and I can switch rings depending on my opponent. I'm not stuck with two rings for the entire game and this is great because my toon is a dragon and I need to wear the magic, lightning, fire, phisical, curse, poise, stamina, red tearstone...
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:07 pm

trust me i dont always go the dwgr + heavy armor route, i usally put stats somewhere else and keep maybe 30 end and wear light armor. but the only thing is wolf ring gives 40 poise which is useless for anything besides straight swords,curved swords,and knives. dwgr allows you to have 53+ poise with the same stats which is effective against claymore and other greatswords. i think the poise break for the larger weapons is something like 72 not positive. that just allows you to tank one hit without staggering, you can fight perfectly fine without heavy armor and dwgr but one hit from a 2h greatsword and you will most likely lose to stunlock.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:10 pm

also i would like to add, because someone mentioned it, i have stunlocked players wearing full havels with the moonlight greatsword so that sword has some special way of getting around poise(which is why i think it has become such a popular troll weapon)
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi fruitpunch, it's cool how I remember people from FC which I have never spoken to in the forum before...
    GrEeNgObLiN
    GrEeNgObLiN
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by GrEeNgObLiN Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:44 pm

Aah fruitpunch so it was u who staggerd me to dead in swords event! Nice to meet ya!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:06 am