Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Zechk
reim0027
Blackie
Sunbro4evar
Imarreteet23
skarekrow13
berkut
callipygias
Reaperfan
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
SlakeMoth
15 posters

Which area creeps you out the most?

SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Which area creeps you out the most? Empty Which area creeps you out the most?

Post by SlakeMoth Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Yeah, I know they all have their moments, but the New Londo Ruins give me the heebie jeebies. I'm not joking when I say my eyes are out on stalks whenever I go there trying to see round corners and it's so daaaark! Those freakin ghosts that mob you on the steps down to the room and rise up out of the water and when you get to The Room they're everywhere. They even follow you up the chimney! Then when you've drained the ruins and go through the Valley of the Drakes' entrance, you just know that there's a Dark Wraith just waiting to suck your bones and there's more where he came from.

Sorry, can't write any more, just thinking about it gives me the dithers.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Which area creeps you out the most? Empty Re: Which area creeps you out the most?

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:55 pm

totg... glowing eyes in the darkness, death a few steps away. dismemberment in the pitch black by beasts twice ones size...
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Which area creeps you out the most? Empty Re: Which area creeps you out the most?

Post by Reaperfan Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:56 pm

I've played through the game too many times to even be somewhat surprised by enemies or dark areas since I've learned every tiny detail of where enemies are through sheer habit :|

That being said, I still hate the depths just because it feels, well, gross. I run through that place as fast as possible so I don't have time to consider things like "what exactly is causing character-sized stalagmites of muck to form," or "what are the tiny bones sticking out of the goop enemies," or even "where is all this waste coming from if Lordran is only inhabited by undead who don't need to eat, and therefore produce no waste?" It's just...nasty. Blighttown is nasty by nature of being a poisonous swamp, but the Depths is nasty for who-knows-what :|

Last edited by Reaperfan on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:56 pm

First couple playthroughs The Depths and Upper Blighttown were horrible. The Depths because every corner had a nasty surprise around it, and upper Blighttown mostly because of those disgusting guys that chew on you. Ugh! That roar they do when you can't see them made it worse, like, "Oh ****, they see me. They see me!"
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Probably New Londo for me, that place, when you through it for the first time and a ghost can kill you easily, makes me feel unnerved.

Now if were including demon souls, then I would say that the Tower of Latria horrified me. Dark, bottomless pits, masses of writhing bodies floating through the air, possessed people, tortured prisoners, mindflayers that suck your brains out. Convoluted building designs, tentacles rising out of toxic waters. That place was a nightmare.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:08 pm

New Londo drained. Ghosts were annoying as all get out but the wetness of everything. Like everything you touch would be cold and rotting. The piles of...matter...almost makes you smell the decay. The door to the valley has the wee little streams of water coming out. All I can think of is that the piles of...matter...are slowly settling and compressing, no longer buoyant. As the compress they trickle out their ichor into the valley. Eww
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:14 pm

That was impressive, you actually managed to trigger my memory enough that I actually smelt the partial decay of preserved specimens, that was not pleasant silly
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:34 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:totg... glowing eyes in the darkness, death a few steps away. dismemberment in the pitch black by beasts twice ones size...
    I'm watching a blind walkthrough on Youtube, and when the player enters the dark after killing Pinwheel, he inches his way forward, and just when those first two glowing eyes appear he takes out his binoculars and scans around. When he settled on those two glowing eyes it was one of the funniest things I've seen from a playthrough vid.
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:47 pm

For some reason, right when you enter the Kiln and those phantom black knights are walking around, that always scares the crap outa me.
    Sunbro4evar
    Sunbro4evar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sunbro4evar Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:27 pm

Definitely Totg... i freakin hate that place. I've been in there about 10 times and every time i just run past everything not killing anything 'cept ol Leroy. The combination of the complete darkness, glowing red eyes, and seemingly random noises. Scares the living day out of me! :affraid: 🇳🇴
    Blackie
    Blackie

Post by Blackie Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:48 pm

Creeps?
    None really.
    I was too busy raging on my lack of Curses to pass New Londo, so I couldn't focus on the atmosphere.
    But I find Painted World quite disturbing, I just... don't feel safe there: The bonfire's too close from the enemies, the pathway leading to it is narrow and seems something's going to come from there, everything looks dead (Like it had an Ash-Storm like Silent Hill) and the Fire Breathing, bulbous creatures are just live representations of human pain and sickness...
    Jesus, I found out that Painted World (and Ariamis) really creep the *** out of me.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Upper Btown and ToG.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:58 pm

berkut, if you meant my description glad to be of service
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:16 am

I realise I'm going to sound daft, but for me it was Anor Londo. I mean it didn't 'scare' me but sadly I don't find games scary very often. I jump like a cricket at the slightest 'boo!' moment, but I don't ever get fightened. I do however find my imagination running away from me a lot, and Anor Londo did that perfectly. This giant, deserted, achingly beautiful ghost city filled with unmoving giant sentinels and demonic gargoyles stretching out to the horizon and bathed in sunshine did a number on me in that regard. I tiptoed my way through it thinking 'god, what else is sleeping in this city?' I rather like that feeling of being somewhere formerly glorious but now sinister.

It reminded me a little of Ulduar in WoW for anyone who played it. Big dead city from a bygone age with something horrible at it's heart.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:15 am

I'm actually with Zechk on this one, I kind of get chills when I look out into this dead city sometimes. It's beautiful, but it just seems like such a ghost town. If I had to wander the actual empty city in the further parts of it, I'd probably turn the game off and wait till a friend is over to play it, then annoy them because we're supposed to be meeting Greg at Double Yoke, but I just need to get past this one level first. 8)

Zechk, I've known all along you played WoW haha. Actually funny you mention it, Ulduar is my favourite Raid. Though Ulduar never creeped me out in WoW, I can't really think of anything in that game that did.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:22 am

Hey Tolvo, you changed your hat AGAIN!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:24 am

Changed my Hat? What is this, TF2?

...I have over a hundred hats in that game, and I don't even play it anymore.
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:52 am

Tomb of giants and New Londo... damn skeleton dogs and phantoms...
    But as I said somewhere else, the worst part for me is Depths when you have to fight the Butchers. I hate them. I hate their sound, I don't know... They never killed me (except for my first try, where the first butcher actually saw me from below and came up on the stairs).
    Now you can imagine what I felt when I went down into the depths in NG+ and found them cursed, and there was this BP butcher waiting for me...
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:15 am

Tolvo wrote:Zechk, I've known all along you played WoW haha. Actually funny you mention it, Ulduar is my favourite Raid. Though Ulduar never creeped me out in WoW, I can't really think of anything in that game that did.

I never actually raided after Vanilla, so I've never been in Ulduar, I just liked the concept and the screenshots. It wasn't creepy no, but it did have that same vibe of a once great city now filled with horrors.

As for creepy in WoW? Darkshire. Best zone evar. The atmosphere could be cut with a knife. I was Horde and I used to go there and just wander around on my Rogue soaking it all up.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:16 am

Completely remodelled and all of the quests changed, I'm pretty sure now it's just full of Worgen and big battlegrounds against the Undead.
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:17 am

:<
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:18 am

I wouldn't look up screen shots, everything was changed. Some for the better, a lot for the worst. Haha, I got a Moderator to get off topic. I deserve a badge. silly
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:22 am

Where did I put my banhammer...
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:23 am

*Wipes away the sweat on his brow*

So yeah, creepiest thing I can think of in Dark Souls is the ghouls. Getting macked on by one of those things just never seems right.
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:26 am

Being killed by a mushroom doesn't seem right, neither big grin
    And I mean killed by fists, not by eating one big grin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 10:08 pm