Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
roanispe
Tolvo
Forum Pirate
7 posters

Rapier help.

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Rapier help. Empty Rapier help.

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:18 pm

I'm not free untill tonight 9pm or so pst, but i need a sparing partner whos really good with rapiers to show me the ropes. I'm having trouble utilising the move set properly. I've got a sl60 and a sl 120 that can use them.

I'm also asking for General tips here.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Rapier help. Empty Re: Rapier help.

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm way to tird to be us, bu REim great Rapers.
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:20 pm

A tactic I used to use in the Klin was making space and then running at sort of diagonal until you got close enough to hit with a lunge. Normally, the momentum will carry you past the opponents attempt to punish the attack. It is actually a safe pseudo-poke I used to do whenever the opponent backed off. It took some time before I could get the 'feel' of the move and, I was BSed many times before I got it down. I don't use it elsewhere as you need space for it to be effective.

The Rapier and other swords in its class are practically made for spellcasters in terms of stat distribution. If you want to play a caster, the light weight of the weapon allows you to get as much poise as possible which can be useful in low endurance builds. The Rapier is also one of the best buffed weapons (especially Ricard) with the multi-hit lunge attack, light stamina usage and, incredibly quick pokes. It is also worth learning how to parry to get the full use out of the Rapier, otherwise I recommend the Balder Side Sword which can poke just as effectively.

Generally speaking, the Rapier is tool that reacts to rather than act against your opponent. It is a tool best used to poke and parry your way to victory. It can utterly destroy new players while the skills used with it make a threat even to the most battle-tested PvP veteran.

Last edited by roanispe on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Yesu and I are going to be taking care of a few testings tonight. But, we can spar tomorrow. I'm really digging this weapon.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:04 am

@remi, cool. any practice i can get is needed.

@roan, i see. my mains the iaito most of the time so my entire style was off. Its a big lightbulb. I dont like the bss, its initial r1 is to slow. This sl60 is for parrying, thats why i went rapier.

I use velkas though. at sl 60 30 int is ar 356, with richards or estoc its 280 ish i think, i need the ar for parrying, and my 1 spell is power within. its really nasty when i land a riposte.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:43 am

As said before the running lunge attack is quite useful.

I've been duel wielding velka's rapiers for a bit now and using velka's for a few weeks. I've also used the estoc and standard rapier.

Apart from the running attack I find rapiers are all about the dodge and poke. Try and keep a light rolling build and just bounce around your enemy. I used to go around with an estoc or rapier and the grass crest on my back. I'd two hand the weapon until I saw opportunities to parry, I'd then use the grass crest to do so. Stamina regen can be priceless when doing this.

Now if you're very confident in your parries I'd recommend using another rapier or dagger in the offhand. If you can use the parrying dagger or target shield/buckler they work much better, but are much harder to use.

Medium shields have to parry about a half a second before the actual attack, rapiers and daggers can parry less than a quarter of a second before the actual attack. Parrying daggers must parry almost a hole second before the attack. Timing is everything and with lag parrying can be more about luck than skill.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:20 pm

I am also a huge fan of rapiers but I have kind of a buff build so it would only make sense to use them. I have great luck with Richards with it being very powerful with 1 or 2 handed attack pokes and lunges and the 2handed R2 that can OHKO or all but OHKO if its used at the right time or situation.

I would also recommend building crystal rapiers and then buffing them as they are the only upgraded weapon type you can buff or just using them they hit like tanks also...if you used power within with a buffed crystal rapier you would hit INSANE damage for sure.

But IMO the Estoc is my fav rapier its a bit slower but it hits like a tank with the R2 swpies instead of pokes....it makes it a very versatile weapon. Lately I start my duels with a buffed estoc and have a backup enchanted claymore I like to have 2 very diff weapons to be able to fight against any styles I come against.

I cant count the times I have beat BKGA tank flippers simply waiting for them to miss a huge uppercut swing by standing just outta reach then charging in just after it misses and hitting them with a R2 swipe for about 450dmg into full havels and rolling out....repeat and game over lol!!
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:45 pm

I personally think the spear works just as well, if not better. Especially the Demons and Silver knights spear. Both of them have such incredibly long range that I can even take on even another rapier or spear user without too many problems, and the Demons spear even has a lung, very similar to the rapier.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 7:01 pm