Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Rynn
befowler
Bamjam
plok
RANT
Yesuurd
Tolvo
GrEeNgObLiN
Ironliftr3
13 posters

Giving up on PVP

Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Giving up on PVP - Page 2 Empty Re: Giving up on PVP

Post by Yesuurd Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Tolvo wrote: Its the same with kids that need to learn swimming, if you let em stay in the kiddo pond they never learn but if you kick them in the deep they have to learn it or drown lol!

Hey speedy Gonzales you stole my line like a ninja thief!
    Bamjam
    Bamjam
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bamjam Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Yesuurd wrote:
    Tolvo wrote: Its the same with kids that need to learn swimming, if you let em stay in the kiddo pond they never learn but if you kick them in the deep they have to learn it or drown lol!

Hey speedy Gonzales you stole my line like a ninja thief!

But But But ... i am a ninja thief! big grin
    Ironliftr3

Post by Ironliftr3 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:04 pm

I think using the DM Ring in Anor Londo is just as bad as the forest. Always 2 on 1 on that bridge.
    Ironliftr3

Post by Ironliftr3 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Tolvo wrote:
    EDIT: You'll want to go with elementals then, you don't have any stat high enough to really make a difference with scaling. As well you can't use any of the heavy damage buffs.

So, at this level, if I see a 'challenger' buffing his weapon, is he wasting his time, or is he a BB'er? A ran into someone doing this a couple of times yesterday, which is what got me asking about the buff's.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:07 pm

It probably means they've set up their stats to buff, it just depends on how you build your character.
    Ironliftr3

Post by Ironliftr3 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:10 pm

I'll add, I've been purposely keeping my stats low, assuming that would mean PVP with other low level players. Is that a good assumption/strategy? I can level up if I should...I currently have about 700K souls saved up. (I've helped a lot of people with bosses...probably the same sob's who've backstabbed me later)
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Well see if you post all of your stats I could give you examples. But say, if you had lowereed your Dex, and had up to 30 faith. Well then you could cast SLB or DMB, which on a Str scaling weapon would give you some pretty good damage at your level. So it isn't really a level thing, its just how you level.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:19 pm

I'd actually suggest trying out the forest as a FH too. It helped me and I'm in a similar situation (wireless connection, big lagstab target seemingly painted on me). I'm not saying he'll start winning or even enjoying it, but what being chased by 3 max level farmers with huge swords does is teach you evasion very, very quickly. Don't even try to win at first, just see how long you can survive after first contact. You have to keep moving/rolling even if you think you're safe, because you just can't predict how quickly someone you can't see will come up behind you. Also, it may be easier to learn from fights because you should expect to lose in there particularly in 3v1s. What I found was that knowing I was probably going to die took the pressure off and counter-intuitively made me better at it because I didn't get all worked up about how "bad" I was. And then when you do start winning some 1v3s...you'll be a threat anywhere you go.

But if all that is a terrible idea, I also have a sl54 I'm happy to offer for practice. silly
    Ironliftr3

Post by Ironliftr3 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:21 pm

Tolvo wrote:Well see if you post all of your stats I could give you examples. But say, if you had lowereed your Dex, and had up to 30 faith. Well then you could cast SLB or DMB, which on a Str scaling weapon would give you some pretty good damage at your level. So it isn't really a level thing, its just how you level.

Yeah, that makes sense. It's not the over all 'level', but how they're distributed that determines what you can and can not utilize.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:24 pm

That's exactly it.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:44 pm

I'm with Befowler, go to forest and try to endure it...I mean how long have you been suffering from bad pvp?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 pm

i just started going to the forest after practicing in the kiln and FC, and i gotta say if i wouldve started in the forest first i wouldve quit playing a long time ago, i play games to have fun and getting frustrated over little kids ganging up on me is not my definition of fun but it is up to the OP to decide.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 pm

When i first started playing, i joined the forest covenant, and used the RoF... Over time in the forest, i got to sharpen my skills on 1 vs 1 and 1 vs 2 fights, but back then, level 705 hosts were far more common, so the Ring of Fog was a necessity for my level 45 char to stand much of a chance. After the ring of fog was nerfed, I played a thief and started practicing my evasive maneuvers.

The reason I'd recommend the forest covenant, is it permits you to PvP while making progress in the game. IF you don't like the 2 vs 1 farmers, you can keep a black crystal in your inventory to leave in a rush.
    Blade of The Sun
    Blade of The Sun
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Blade of The Sun Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:50 pm

I think you should give it a second chance. i felt the same way until 2 days ago. I honestly think it has to do with level ranges to a point. I recall that all my "wtf, no way moments" came from getting to my desired level (SL. 65) and once I hit that zone the grief and bSers died down a little. Maybe you could tell us your build? In my experience I know that there is a damage range you don't want to fall below or else you will have a harder time competing. Like I said though, give it another try because I am confident that you will find a lot less bsers at your SL.
    plok

Post by plok Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:14 pm

by the way, in the forest you'll have a feel of how to work with the area. I got my behind handed to me by skilled players there who use the terrain to their advantage even when the entire area is cleaned of the mobs. I promise you, when you have the courage (chug some can of beers - always works) try the forest and be an FH. There are cheapos there but there are a lot more playing with real skill.

Tolvo gives good advice, the kiln is not as crazy as the forest. I dont know what SL players frequent the kiln, my lowbie player I think 67SL hardly finds invasions here.

Crazy anything goes PVP - Forest
    Better 1 vs 1s - Kiln

or for the best 1 vs 1 bash the smith in the burg area hehehe i love that drop kick.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:15 pm

If you do wish to try the forest as well, in my signature is the link to the For the Glory of Alvina thread, you should check it out definitely.
    Ironliftr3

Post by Ironliftr3 Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm sure I'll be back at it tonight. I guess I'll work on my evasion tactics any time I start to get over whelmed. I have to admit, I'd be one to vote for reducing the size of the backstab box, as well as eliminating the bottomless box glitch. I think it would really level the playing field, especially with the lag.
    HughManatee
    HughManatee

Post by HughManatee Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Tolvo wrote:No no no, don't start in the forest. Trust me, that's a very bad idea. That is an area where as an invader you'll often fight groups of 2-3 people who use every cheap trick in the book. Kiln, Painted World, and if you can get to the level Btown winking are easier areas to ease into PvP.

^ this.
    I've learned it the hard way over the last two weeks. Going to end up DW or DM for a while. It'll be a refreshing break from the 2v1 gank fest in the Forest.
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:11 pm

You are not thinking of giving up on PvP because you are "bad at it", but because you are not having fun.

One of the things to remember about this, and any game for that matter, is that it doesn't REALLY matter if you are "good" or "skilled".....

....it is not a career, lol. It is a game. What matters is having fun.

....so....with that said; try new things. Don't look at winning and/or losing as the be all and end all. Have some fun.

First become a darkwraith, (fun PvE in that). Then in each area after you beat the boss, go human and invade. Create some chaos. Or be goofy. Just have fun with it.

I was terrible at PvP at first too. And before I ever really got any better I was already winning some fights just by trying out different tactics. Use the environment, or npcs. Invasions aren't duels, anything goes. You will get better at legit 1on1 PvP without even trying.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Iron, get a build to 120 and come join us in Btown (FC). You'll have great duels against great players. And, many of us are down for sparring (fight, but don't kill) or even practicing and working on techniques.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2024 5:34 pm