Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Rassa
Yarxov
Deadpool
Shakie666
PlasticandRage
Forum Pirate
T-King-667
Railage
Maneater_Mildred
RANT
FruitPunchNinja
CrackSouls
Yukon
Reaperfan
Wade_Wilson
skarekrow13
CaptainKairos
justwant2play
22 posters

Anyone here still use a heavy shield?

justwant2play
    justwant2play
    Addicted
    Addicted

Anyone here still use a heavy shield? Empty Anyone here still use a heavy shield?

Post by justwant2play Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Whenever I do coop I notice that most of the other players do not use any type of heavy shield. I was wondering if large sized shields are a dying breed or people just prefer light shields for certain special effects (for instance, I see a lot of people use the Grass Crest Shield). I guess a lot of people don't think high stability is much of an advantage. I still like my Eagle Shield for its high stability and light weight for its category.
    CaptainKairos
    CaptainKairos

Anyone here still use a heavy shield? Empty Re: Anyone here still use a heavy shield?

Post by CaptainKairos Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:47 pm

My cheesiest character is a chick that wears smogh's armor, greatshield of artorias, and +5 Lightning Zweihander.

Oh, and I fast flip at lvl 65 or something dumb like that.

I think it's great!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Anyone here still use a heavy shield? Empty Re: Anyone here still use a heavy shield?

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 pm

I sometimes swap in the Artorias shield.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:02 pm

I use the Greatshield of Artorious, Havel's shield and the Black Iron Greatshield very frequently. I also use the Eagle shield, but I doubt that qualifies as a true "heavy shield"
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:15 pm

I used to use alot of heavy shields, with my first character ever using the Eagle Shield and eventually the Black Iron Shield. The problem is, once I learned to parry in PvE, I can't bring myself to use them for PvE again since parrying is such an effective method of dealing with enemies (I'm looking at YOU Fred the Silver Knight Archer...) and ends up being a more useful method of defense than being able to block alot of attacks. Now if someone could provide me with an actual use for the Shield Bash technique then I may consider going back and trying Greatshields out, but I personally haven't found much use for that particular move sad
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:19 pm

I've never used heavy shields in dark souls... I ran through most of demons souls using the Purple flame shield and I hated the feeling, I always swapped it out for a mid shield so I could parry kill the knights in boletaria.. I prefer to have the option to parry. So, when I got Dark souls, I didn't even give heavy shields a second glance.

The first time I used one was in a roulette battle with someone where I was given a Giants Shield. But I used it in my weapon hand, man that was fun, two handed slam attacks!
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:23 pm

I suppose it depends on the circumstances. I find myself using small-medium shields for PVP because parrying can be insanely useful if your opponent is looking predictable (not to say I'm very good at parrying, though).

But I use Large shields for PVE often. Especially the Eagle shield.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:27 pm

^^^ last time i used a heavy shield it was the giants shield and i 2handed it. i was just trolling. turtling is a tatic. i could see the giants shield and silver knight spear being a good combo for a 40str40dex. i never quite knew what people meant when they said turtling(i thought it meant the greatsword users who 2h) but i dont have a problem with it at all.

this topic is actually making me want to try a greatshield/spear combo ive never tryed it. but also i never knew this a +15 eagles shield actually has better stability then a +15 giants gs

Last edited by FruitPunchNinja on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:28 pm

for later ng's med shields are better since youre gonna be doing a lot more dodging than blocking(and grass crst is helpful with doidging), specially for bosses and for pvp light or med shields are the best, mostly for parrying.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Heavest shield i use is the demon spear.... Ok i sometimes use the iron round shield if i feel like blocking....
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:35 pm

eagle shield is amazing for bed of chaos. i would honestly say having at least a +10 eagles shield might be one of the best things to have for that boss.
    Railage
    Railage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Railage Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:46 pm

I like the Eagle Shield but..... I always use my Knights Shield. I love it, it looks great on my character.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Useless tip: two-handing a greatshield and using the heavy attack will cause your character to slam the shield into the ground. Tested against a full havels, and it still caused a heavy knockdown. Deals mediocare damage.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:58 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:eagle shield is amazing for bed of chaos. i would honestly say having at least a +10 eagles shield might be one of the best things to have for that boss.

A bow and 30 arrows is the best thing to have for bed of chaos... And Well What is it is the second best thing to have for taunting it after you kill it....
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:16 pm

I love tower shields to death its all i use, im one of the few that keeps this "dying breed" from becoming fully dead.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Nope. shields are for parrying or go on my back.

Unless i've got heavy armor and a spear, in which case I'll hide behind eagles untill they try to dead angle, then bs them to death, but thats for griefers in btown.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Nope. shields are for parrying or go on my back.

Unless i've got heavy armor and a spear, in which case I'll hide behind eagles untill they try to dead angle, then bs them to death, but thats for griefers in btown.
    Well it depends on how you look at it, About a good 60-70% of serious pvp'ers use grain wood ring which pretty much eliminates the need for a shield at all considering the entire flip is an invincibility frame to any attack. And I on the other hand dont use the ring mainly because well i want to be different so i went pvping with a cosplay build and learned how to use it well.
    And by that i mean learned how to use all equipment effectively in whatever situation possible. So me being a Tarkus cosplayer all i have is his sword and shield, Not only does the shield completely stop physical damage and has great fire defense but it also serves as a guard post to watch and observe your enemy while still feeling secure. Once you find a pattern or mistake your opponent repeatedly makes, you capitalize on it and conquer your foe(or attempt to anyway). When opponents hit your shield with their weapon it barley takes away stamina (even with very large weapons) But just because it cant parry dosent mean that its in anyway worse than other shield types all have their positives and negatives.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm actually working on a toon right now that's designed to two-hand Havel's shield. I was invaded by a kid who did it really well once, completely wiped the floor with me, and I've been intrigued ever since. He caught me so off guard; I just didn't know how to counter him. He purposely lured me into a really narrow area so I couldn't get around behind him very easily. I'm anxious to try it. I was thinking of maybe pairing it with something like a lightning notched whip. Something quick that can't be parried.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:52 pm

I really like using greatshields because i'm no good i'm parrying or dodging, so i end up just tanking most things. Incidentally, this makes gwyn a pretty decent boss fight since i don't even bother trying to parry him anymore.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Shakie666 wrote:I really like using greatshields because i'm no good i'm parrying or dodging, so i end up just tanking most things. Incidentally, this makes gwyn a pretty decent boss fight since i don't even bother trying to parry him anymore.

I refuse to parry Gwyn. The fight is so much more epic if you don't.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:28 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:
    Shakie666 wrote:I really like using greatshields because i'm no good i'm parrying or dodging, so i end up just tanking most things. Incidentally, this makes gwyn a pretty decent boss fight since i don't even bother trying to parry him anymore.

I refuse to parry Gwyn. The fight is so much more epic if you don't.
    You can parry gwyn? I useually just beat him to death.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:38 pm

I am suprised more people don't just zweihand him to death, it stuns him in ONE SHOT. The first time I fought him was a tough time with my Iaito, but I can kill him without taking damage by just stunlocking him with my Zwei and taking my time on him.
    Deadpool
    Deadpool
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : In front of my mirror thanking god for my sexy looks

Post by Deadpool Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:45 pm

I actually have never made a toon that can even carry the heavy shields lol
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:50 pm

I only use Heavy shields if I'm cosplaying a Legionaire
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Yukon wrote:I am suprised more people don't just zweihand him to death, it stuns him in ONE SHOT. The first time I fought him was a tough time with my Iaito, but I can kill him without taking damage by just stunlocking him with my Zwei and taking my time on him.

I still have my first build. He was a total mess at the end of my first play through, which I refused to use any kind of advice for, internet or otherwise. I've since made him into my endless leveling build. Right now he's around SL255. Anyway when I fought Gwyn for the first time it was with him. SL90ish, no magic ability whatsoever, with the Eagle Shield and the Gravelord Sword. That was not an easy battle. Not at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:56 pm