Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Uparkaam
reim0027
Shkar
Chumgeyser
billy_bayonet
Yesuurd
TehInfamousAmos
Tolvo
lextune
RANT
Maneater_Mildred
Bane Of Woe
16 posters

High strength in PvP without failure?

Bane Of Woe

High strength in PvP without failure? Empty High strength in PvP without failure?

Post by Bane Of Woe Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:53 am

Boring story blow if you care why I began stacking strength

Well i'm new to Dark Souls, and I've been focusing my characters on PvP. My first character my stats became tosses all over and I really didn't know what I was doing. So at blighttown, I abandoned that character. Second one, I decided I wanted to stack strength and have a huge shield and giant weapon, love the look of it. My plan was the DKGA(I have the reqiured strength already, but found out I have to get it end game apparantly, which I COULD have done). I got DKGS by chance, and oh god is it horribly slow. Fails in pve and pvp. From searching, alot of people bash on the DKGA, and say how easy it is to counter, and how it fails so bad in PvP. I'm pretty disappointed, because I've spent so many hours in this characters to find out my setup was horrible. If all big weapons are horribly slow and easily be parryable, and you can be easily BS'd how can they survive in PvP?

cutting to the chase

What weapon has high strength (30+) and excels in PvP? (as long as the player has skill) Does stacking strength just fail in PvP?
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

High strength in PvP without failure? Empty Re: High strength in PvP without failure?

Post by Maneater_Mildred Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:28 am

Great club, large club, serpentman great sword, demon machete.... The list of goid str weapons goes on.... Zweihander....

Str weapons are are 1 of the harder skills to pull off well... But when used well after lots of practive, they can destroy very fast.

Practice, practice.... And practice more.
    Bane Of Woe

High strength in PvP without failure? Empty Re: High strength in PvP without failure?

Post by Bane Of Woe Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:33 am

What would you say the best high strength weapons would be, based upon capabilities (if used correctly to it's strong point)
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:43 am

big weapons have a high learning cueve imo, they can be parried easy and leave you open like you said. large/great club, msgs, dgm are some of the best imo yes theyre slow but hit really hard(did you realy expect a sword that big to be fast?), its a trade off of how hard they hit with one hit, like mildred said youre gonna need a lot of practice to get good at it, thas all i use and im still not tha good. one of the things i do is never get to close to your opponent caus if you miss youre gonna leave fourself open for a bs, whenever someone sees me with my dgm all they do i s wait for me to attack and try to bs me, specially in the kiln.

it is because of this risk reward thing that most of the weapons you see are straight swrods kats and rapiers, most people dont like the learning curve but just keep trying but not in the forest, maybe the painted world or kiln. this is my leeroy build i use and it hits pretty hard, about 1k with my slb DGM. you dont need 50 str, diminishing returns start at 40 str, youre better off putting it in vit or end, i went up to 50 cause i wanted to one hand the grant.

http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=Q2xlcmljLDEyMCw0MCwxNCw0MSw1MCw4LDExLDgsMzA=
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:46 am

the strongeest weapon is the DGA but it's hard to use in pvp because of it's reach, i would reccomend the great club, i think it's the second strongest weapon in the game, try the rolling r1 move, it spins around and it has awesome reach. also the 2h r1 is really powerful and noone has ever parrried me with that.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:51 am

i recorded some of my fights in FC, see if you like the weapons i used. i would strongly reccomend starting with the msgs, it has the same move set as the bastard sword but i little less reach but a lot more powerful, it has an A on str.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0YZDsQ8zM&feature=g-upl&context=G2aa0219AUAAAAAAAAAA
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:52 am

Honestly; virtually any weapon can be successful in PvE or PvP.

It is the user, not the weapon.

As for strength weapons, MM has already listed some of the most popular ones, and I do agree that they are among the most difficult to wield successfully.

But if you get good at them you can run around naked, with zero poise, and still stomp people down. silly
    Bane Of Woe

Post by Bane Of Woe Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:13 am

Wow thanks for all the info Rant!

The Great Club looks like the easiest to use, and absolutely humongous. Sadly, I dislike the look of it though. I think I will go after the DGM. Could you direct me to a good build using the DGM? (By the way, i'm using a Pyromancer. What spell should I use?
    Bane Of Woe

Post by Bane Of Woe Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:31 am

What's the best wat in upgrading the DGM?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:44 am

By the way just thought I should mention most high STR weapons can either stunlock, or dead angle extremely well. You see a Zweihander and think, "Oh, easy parry!" Then suddenly the person turns while swinging meaning your parry was impossible, they then stunlock and kill you. Str weapons are incredibly deadly and efficient, if you know how to use them. But unless you are cautious with them and just swing away you will most likely want to use something else.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:37 am

Okay, High strength weapons eh, I enjoy the curved greatswords, they are pretty great for dead angling but they generally come in a dex str hybrid build... Murakumo ftw... But a good str weap eh? Hmm come to think of it I like the bastard sword Occult +5, it does more dmg than claymore and MSG occult+5 and then i have my DGM +15 for buffing :L but okay.. good pyro spells, if you are very aggressive, Power Within. GCFB, GF , GC - Great=G Chaos Fireball Great Fireball Great Combust, Firespray even comes in handy sometimes :L but I dont use pyro I am a Faithful Str all the way... so for me SB/DMB/WoG/Force
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:54 am

Bane Of Woe wrote:What's the best wat in upgrading the DGM?

The upgrade depends on how much strenght you have but a +15 when buffed especially by magic
    will surpass any elemental I think.

Also I like the DGH very much which has a very similar moveset as GC I would say it is the same moveset but has a longer reach.I learned of the GC by fighting the guys at FC and right now I am using it at the forest to kill gankers, I used to utilize the BK knife but had to resort to backstabs always, the GC has so much power that the roll r1 attack can get a big chunk of health off the opponent and at the same time stagger him so you can BS him rght after, if you buff it with SLB, use a hornet ring and parry someone, you will not only enjoy it ALOT, but it will kill almost anyone OHK.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:39 am

chaos storm or fire tempest would be a good pyro spell mostly to get agro players to back off and gives you a chance to eitha rush them or reaplly abuff
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:16 am

Bane Of Woe wrote:Wow thanks for all the info Rant!

The Great Club looks like the easiest to use, and absolutely humongous. Sadly, I dislike the look of it though. I think I will go after the DGM. Could you direct me to a good build using the DGM? (By the way, i'm using a Pyromancer. What spell should I use?

if you have 40 str go with the reg path, get it up to +15 and even with no buff it will hit hard, maybe try this build? you can alway optimise it later on if you want, never go more than 16 att unless its a pure caster, i only got att up to 16 cause you ssaid you like using pyromancy, great combust and power within are really good but pw is better used when used with an unupgraded glove since it will drain less vit. you can put the rest points into end for better armor or vit.

http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=Q2xlcmljLDExNCw0MCwxNiw0MSw0MCwxMCwxMSw4LDMw

edit; always go with bandit or cleric whenever youre making a str or str/fai build, i always go cleric becasue i never put any points in dex which gives me one more point than the bandit and i always put it on end(it makes a big difference with big weapons) and the cleric starts witht the canvas talisman which is the best talisman till you get to 40 faith, at 40 the dm talisman is the best but since you only have 30 faith the canvas talisman is the strongest at 30 faith.
    Chumgeyser
    Chumgeyser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Chumgeyser Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:31 am

I never see anyone else using it, but I've been able to get more hits in with my Great Club and Zweihander when I use the Hidden Weapon buff. Plus it looks cool imo big grin
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:15 pm

If you are mainly going to go for backstabs and don't want to buff, pick up a greataxe and make it fire or lighting. The greataxe has the highest elemental damage of any weapon.

If you are willing to put in the strength to use it, the Demon's Greataxe at +15 could give you a huge benefit. It is one of the few weapons to actually get an S scaling, and it already hits hard. At my 50 Str, it hits almost as hard as a +14 fire greataxe, and I could buff it if I wanted.

This being said, these are weapons that you have to be very good to use, as a vast majority of the attacks are simple downward swings, which would be insanely easy to dodge.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:20 pm

do not just go for bs, people that do that ruin pvp imo and i know a lot of people agree with me on that one, just keep practicing and you'll keep getting better dude. hopefully we'll see you in FC soon.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:49 pm

This being said, these are weapons that you have to be very good to use, as a vast majority of the attacks are simple downward swings, which would be insanely easy to dodge.[/quote]

you've obvs never dueled rant hes deadly with great club!
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Yeah, the GC's rolling 2H R1 is lethal. The parry window is really really narrow. If you miss, you can kiss 800+ of your health goodbye.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Not all good strength weapons are big and heavy. Club, reinforced club, battle axe, mace, morning star and pickaxe can be really devastating weapons in the right hands. And butcher knife too.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Uparkaam wrote:Not all good strength weapons are big and heavy. Club, reinforced club, battle axe, mace, morning star and pickaxe can be really devastating weapons in the right hands. And butcher knife too.

all those weapons you mentioned are slower than the msgs which is the one i would reccomend to start with since there is no stagger if you miss, i actually use all of those weapons for pve mostly casuse they have crappy reach except for the battle axe and butcher knife, the rest are really hard to use in pvp and have yet to face someone that was good with them(except when i got my *** kicked once by an invader but all he did was bs me). the butcker knife is actually really fun to use and hard to parry becasue of the random attack animations.

edit; mace with slb destroys bosses.
    Chumgeyser
    Chumgeyser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Chumgeyser Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:18 pm

RantFromRant wrote:the butcker knife is actually really fun to use and hard to parry becasue of the random attack animations.

What do you mean? I haven't used it a lot but I haven't seen any random animations.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Chumgeyser wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:the butcker knife is actually really fun to use and hard to parry becasue of the random attack animations.

What do you mean? I haven't used it a lot but I haven't seen any random animations.

the r2 has this animation where you take like three steps(looks like youre floating) then do the swing, ive used it and people had a hard time parrying it even with the target shield.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:37 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    Chumgeyser wrote:

the r2 has this animation where you take like three steps(looks like youre floating) then do the swing, ive used it and people had a hard time parrying it even with the target shield.
    That sounds like a challenge to me. twisted
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:45 pm

reim0027 wrote:
    That sounds like a challenge to me. twisted

i actually used it against you once and you couldnt parry it with the target shield happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:45 am