Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Akatik
User
JoeBroski09
billy_bayonet
deadagain
bmurn
Darkson
x-m-a-s
12 posters

Strange enemy at hydra lake (Darkroot Basin)

x-m-a-s

Strange enemy at hydra lake (Darkroot Basin) Empty Strange enemy at hydra lake (Darkroot Basin)

Post by x-m-a-s Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:47 am

This is my 3rd run through the game with a new character but the first time I've seen this particular enemy:

Already killed the hydra and returned to the lake to buy some magic. At the base of the waterfall I found a single translucent spiky eyeball with crab pincers. It died in one hit from a Lightning Flamberge +5. What is/was this?
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Strange enemy at hydra lake (Darkroot Basin) Empty Re: Strange enemy at hydra lake (Darkroot Basin)

Post by Darkson Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:49 am

A vagrant.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Vagrants

I know they are creepy. And pretty rare to see.
    bmurn
    bmurn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : the Dead Burg (formerly "undead" but now renamed after a significant effort at regentrification.)

Strange enemy at hydra lake (Darkroot Basin) Empty Re: Strange enemy at hydra lake (Darkroot Basin)

Post by bmurn Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:49 am

I have never seen one, but sounds like a vagrant. Formed from dropped items. Others can provide a lot more detailss.
    deadagain
    deadagain
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by deadagain Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:12 pm

I have seen 1 in over 500 hours of play. Interesting location though, first I heard of one spawning there. Congrats you are one of the few who have seen one.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:14 pm

there are two type of vagrant enemis good and evil the evil looks like crabs and i cant remember what the good ones look like but yeah if someone loses a huge amount of humanity or a valuable item itll travel and become a drift item that will turn into a vagrant enemy just kill it, or make it your pet and call it gerald
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:12 pm

I had one near the church by the Hollow between the church and the blacksmith. I had NO idea what it was. I just saw it from behind, and it was running away. So I killed it and it dropped a Divine Blessing. I was like "Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame." I have no idea if it was good or bad. Probably good since I saw now claws, but I only saw it from behind. It looked like a bomb from Nintendo or something haha!

Edit. Just clicked the wiki link. I saw the good version.
    x-m-a-s

Post by x-m-a-s Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Huh....mine didn't drop a damn thing though maybe I should go back and check it out just to be sure....though I can't remember if I've died since the sighting. Given how rare it is, I wish my first impulse had been to take a picture rather than kill it...

Altogether, the vagrant is such a small scale thing with the potential to have been something with a bit more impact/presence in the world of whoever encounters it....maybe something between a vagrant and a primeval demon from Demon's Souls.

Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:41 pm

The bad ones can deal pretty high damage...
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Darkson wrote:The bad ones can deal pretty high damage...

Ya, the good one I saw just tried to run away. No idea if it'd disappear like the crystal lizards do, so I killed it ASAP haha! I wonder if it'd been there before, and just always ran from me until I finally saw it.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:51 pm

When whiskey and I finally do this when we are done with our Black Phantoms for pictures, we will try to show the different variety of vagrants we saw again. Their are more than just those two things, although I never saw one without claws, just ones with them. However, such vagrants come in different colours and attack types.

I will try to do it again, but it will be awhile.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:57 pm

JoeBroski09 wrote:
    Darkson wrote:The bad ones can deal pretty high damage...

Ya, the good one I saw just tried to run away. No idea if it'd disappear like the crystal lizards do, so I killed it ASAP haha! I wonder if it'd been there before, and just always ran from me until I finally saw it.

The first one I saw was when I was invading in Demon Ruins, I had no idea what it was, the host was hiding somewhere, so I took out my camera silly

Acid, I have a picture of one what is maybe another type at least another "state", I posted it in some thread, wait a minute... (I don't have access to it another way now)
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:59 pm

Here. Did it work? The PC at which I'm currently am can't view it, so I have no clue... :|

Strange enemy at hydra lake (Darkroot Basin) Crabom10
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:03 pm

I see it. Not one I have seen before.

I have seen blue and orange ones, blue and white ones, red and white ones, and black and white ones with a red claw. The one that was blue and orange shot missiles that had lightning, while the ones in Lost Izalith (which was met by Whiskey) and the blue met in Tombs was of magic (at least, i think so. Could be physical, but...) They were of different sizes of different times, and the vagrant I saw in the Tombs stayed even thou I died the first time by a DW backstabber

Whiskey did not see the vagrant the first play in the Tombs, however she saw it the second time. This was before we remade our characters and did the gravelord thing. I have seen a total of 7 vagrants, and she has seen a total that is less, about 3 or 4. In total, I have seen about 8 or 9. Hard to remember. It has been a good amount. It seems that they show up more in higher levels than lower ones.
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Strange, I've seen it twice now.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Well, we went to up to level 201 (for me, anyways), until we remade characters. That was the character that went up to NG++++++ (i never deleted it, I keep it just in case I want to go back). That was the one where I had the balder armour with cleric chains, along with my hood. That was good.

We have not seen any Vagrants yet in our new play, however it is relatively new and did not take much action. We will probably find them more in the future, as we did before.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:23 pm

ive seen both type good and evil one at the burg the other at lost izalith its just a random occurance when another player drops a large amount of humanity i.e. blood stain and it gets lost or a very valuable item over 1000 frampt souls i believe
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:00 pm

I believe the time I saw it was when I lost my 63 humanity and 1.1 mil souls o.O I may just be completely deluded, but I think that's what happened! I lost my souls right around that time....

The more I think about it, the more I remember (hopefully correctly.) I know I co-op'ed with randoms like CRAZY to get the huge humanity/souls. I then lost it, and the next day, my friend was able to play and we were able to continue our characters. On my way to firelink from upgrading my Lightning G.Halberd to +5, I saw the good version. I killed it and got a Divine Blessing. I'd think it'd be a better drop since I dropped SO MUCH CRAP. I described it to my friend, since we were voice chatting, and he tried looking it up, and couldn't find anything, but that's probably because I described it as "a bomb" or "a small black ball" haha!
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:18 pm

I saw one yesterday near the bonfire that's underneath where the bridge wyvern sits in the Burg. I killed the Wyvern then sat down by the bonfire and I started getting hit with what seemed like throwing knives, crab was off to the right sitting by the busted statue. Not sure how anyone died out where it was since nothing is hostile there.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:21 pm

Maybe they picked a fight with Solaire or aggro'd the crossbow soldiers and didn't realize it
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Opposite end of the bridge from Solaire and you have to kill that Wyvern to get to that spot so you'd think they didn't suck at the game lol. Maybe they figured out a way to jump off the ledge out there.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:51 pm

By the statue? Solaire shows up there later. They could suck.......
    There's at least one or two ultra cheap ways to kill the Wyvern and Solaire in close quarters can be terrifying. I just hope they didn't get smacked up by one of the sad hollows grieving by the statue.
    bmurn
    bmurn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : the Dead Burg (formerly "undead" but now renamed after a significant effort at regentrification.)

Post by bmurn Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:52 pm

I don't think someone has to die to create a vagrant. I think you can also drop certain items that will then potentially spawn into a vagrant in another players world.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Skarekrow_witha_k wrote:By the statue? Solaire shows up there later. They could suck.......
    There's at least one or two ultra cheap ways to kill the Wyvern and Solaire in close quarters can be terrifying. I just hope they didn't get smacked up by one of the sad hollows grieving by the statue.

^ Tss, that would be really weird.

I already tried everything, but they never got aggro. Just stand there staring at me, eventually taking a few steps in random directions.

But they fight each other when you do the Undead Rap!
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:21 pm

i cant believe in my 10+ playthroughs and 1000s of hrs of playing dark souls i have not yet seen a vagrant
    Karn
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Karn Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Wow, I didn't realize these things are rare. But I've seen tons of them.

First was when I just started playing the game, Just on the tower where the Two Archer hollows are, where the Taurus demon fight occurs. I've seen them in Undead Parish, Anor Londo, Ash Lake, Blight Town, I think there might have been one on the return trip to the Asylum too, but I can't be 100% on that one.

The first time I saw one it reminded me of Kingler from Pokemon <.< Big claw + Little Claw. For the most part they've all been Red/Black and all kinds of varieties between claw/no claw.

They do drop all kinds of neat things though, I've had Divine Blessings, Twin Humanities, Rubbish.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:38 am