Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Reaperfan
Maneater_Mildred
Dubscythe
cloudyeki
Serious_Much
DoughGuy
PlasticandRage
Artorias
Extertionist
KnightSmiley
Uparkaam
FruitPunchNinja
16 posters

What would you like to see improved in the next souls game?

Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What would you like to see improved in the next souls game? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you like to see improved in the next souls game?

Post by Dubscythe Sat May 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Another thing, I wish the Boss Weapons were more powerful, yet harder to make at the same time.

The fact that they fall behind when compared to normal weapons that are upgraded in most cases just doesn't seem right.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

What would you like to see improved in the next souls game? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you like to see improved in the next souls game?

Post by Reaperfan Sat May 05, 2012 10:40 pm

I don't really have anything I would want to straight-up change, but I do have some thoughts on things I'd like to see come back.

Return:

1. Dark Souls weapon variety. The best improvement Dark Souls made over Demon's Souls was that weapons acted differently, even amongst weapons of the same class. The Bastard Sword is different from the Claymore, Scythes are different from Halberds, and some weapons even come with spells instead of attacks.
    2. Demon's Souls boss creativity. I miss bosses like Maiden Astraea/Garl Vinland, the Old Monk, and the Armor Spider. In Dark Souls bosses kind of boil down to "big scary thing trying to beat you up."
    3. Dark Souls three-tiered equip burden and poise mechanics. Without the DWGR which allows players to basically ignore this system, the rolling system in Dark Souls is damn near perfect, providing much more dynamic reasons to choose between light or heavy armor without completely alienating one kind like they did in Demon's Souls.
    Extertionist
    Extertionist
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Extertionist Sat May 05, 2012 11:00 pm

I hate to say, but an option or glitch to get to the max level and/or duplicate items. It was fun in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls to dominate everything in your path that hassled you the first time, I felt like I earned it. You guys can't say you've never exploited any of the glitches available, in fact, some of you probably even did it gladly to kill the hellkite dragon.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sat May 05, 2012 11:11 pm

^^ thats one of the things i absolutely dont want to see in the next game. dupe glitches destroy early lvl/area pvp and throw off pvp in general. im not going to act like i have never used bb glitch because i have, but only after almost a 1000hrs of gameplay and it was just for trying out builds i otherwise would not have.

technically if you played through once the next playthrough you will plow through the enemies because of the knowledge and skill you have gained. unfortunately i think you will luck out because both souls games had a similar glitch and it seemed all to intentional on froms part.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat May 05, 2012 11:22 pm

People do realize that to pull off the unmentionable glitch you have to get all the stuff from scratch at least once, so unlike Thomas Duping it still makes you experience a pure, dry run at least once. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if FROM made these things intentional, since I quite honestly would probably have lost interest in Demon's/Dark Souls if these...uhhh...techniques hadn't made it more painfree and less grindy to experiment with different builds for PvP. It took me many, many builds to finally settle on my trusty ol' Pushed ToB build in Demon's Souls, and I still haven't settled on a favorite build for Dark Souls. You can only kill Reapers or forest NPC's so many times before it stops being worth it :|
    Artorias
    Artorias
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Artorias Sat May 05, 2012 11:25 pm

Very true
    Extertionist
    Extertionist
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Extertionist Sat May 05, 2012 11:25 pm

If they made this an option it would be great if it was unlockable like you had to defeat Gwyn 15 times for dupe option and 20 for level adjustment.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat May 05, 2012 11:27 pm

Problem is, if the dupe glitches are in both games, it's just gotta be something that's unavoidable, that they cannot rectify, obviously stemming form NG+, I don't think they leave it in intentionally, just that having to find another way to transfer items to NG+ and having a BB or stockpile thomas guy may be impossible for FROM..

Also Extertionist, I've never glitched in any way on Dark Souls. I haven't even beaten Ceaseless using the running to the door method, and frankly I don't think I'm the only one who has never touched methods like that on Dark Souls. (Though on demons i admit I duped colourless demon souls, I couldn't be bothered to get the 10, I got 5 and my patience ran out. silly)
    Extertionist
    Extertionist
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Extertionist Sat May 05, 2012 11:39 pm

How bout this, instead of glitches, unlockables for beating the game x amount of times.

1: You may now choose 2 gifts for any new character
    2: You get 5 extra levels at the beginning of each new game.
    3: You may choose an arrow of death as a gift.
    4: You get a 50% discount from all merchants
    5: You are always in human form.
    10: Checkpoints unlocked.
    15: You may duplicate any item you have (save weapons and armor).
    20: Upgrades and items are free, you start with the max amount of every item in the game, you start with 1 of each weapon and piece of armor, you start with 10 of each spell, you start with the max amount of each gift, you start with all keys, and instead of leveling up, you may adjust your stats up and down.

(an arrow of death kills anything except players and phantoms in 1 hit)
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat May 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Extertionist wrote:How bout this, instead of glitches, unlockables for beating the game x amount of times.

20: Upgrades and items are free, you start with the max amount of every item in the game, you start with 1 of each weapon and piece of armor, you start with 10 of each spell, you start with the max amount of each gift, you start with all keys, and instead of leveling up, you may adjust your stats up and down.

I think those unlocks defeat the point of the game.. It's not meant to be easy or hand you things to make the game childs play. It's unrelenting like a stubborn old man set in his ways, either deal with it or don't try to in the first place.

The whole point is that the way to make Souls easier is experience, learning how to play it, learning the enemies and areas, rather than cheap handouts that other modern games give you.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat May 05, 2012 11:47 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Problem is, if the dupe glitches are in both games, it's just gotta be something that's unavoidable, that they cannot rectify, obviously stemming form NG+, I don't think they leave it in intentionally, just that having to find another way to transfer items to NG+ and having a BB or stockpile thomas guy may be impossible for FROM..

Also Extertionist, I've never glitched in any way on Dark Souls. I haven't even beaten Ceaseless using the running to the door method, and frankly I don't think I'm the only one who has never touched methods like that on Dark Souls. (Though on demons i admit I duped colourless demon souls, I couldn't be bothered to get the 10, I got 5 and my patience ran out. silly)

I doubt FROM deliberately codes in a convoluted method like Thomas Duping or would ever put in something as blatant as an "all-purpose character editor" tool, though the impression I've gotten is that once something like those are found, they don't seem to put fixing it very high on their priority list. Once we get another Dark Souls patch and we see what happens to the unmentionable glitch then maybe that will change though, but my thoughts are that nothing will happen to it.

I really like your second point, it just shows that we all have different patience levels and that the value of these...techniques varies from person to person based on how we value our time spent in the game. Everyone just has different thresholds as which it becomes acceptable to use it happy
    Extertionist
    Extertionist
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Extertionist Sat May 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Extertionist wrote:How bout this, instead of glitches, unlockables for beating the game x amount of times.

I think those unlocks defeat the point of the game.. It's not meant to be easy or hand you things to make the game childs play. It's like a stubborn old man set in his ways, either deal with it or don't try to in the first place.
    You realize that to get to that point, an insane amount of game time would be needed to unlock everything, and until the forth unlock, it wouldn't be that good and even then the fifth unlock could be as much a blessing as a curse. The unlocks would be meant for the fanboys not the common player and that would make it so that the experienced players who want to try different builds wouldn't have to wade through the game twice to do it.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat May 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Serious_Much wrote:The whole point is that the way to make Souls easier is experience, learning how to play it, learning the enemies and areas, rather than cheap handouts that other modern games give you.

Ninja'd post deserves a response as well, and if you go back to the video I posted earlier they put it incredibly nicely:

"The testament of a good game is that it makes you get better."
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat May 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Extertionist wrote:You realize that to get to that point, an insane amount of game time would be needed to unlock everything, and until the forth unlock, it wouldn't be that good and even then the fifth unlock could be as much a blessing as a curse. The unlocks would be meant for the fanboys not the common player and that would make it so that the experienced players who want to try different builds wouldn't have to wade through the game twice to do it.

The problem with this system is that players would just treat it as another checklist to accomplish, and would create "playthrough builds" designed for no other reason than to burn through PvE as fast as possible to unlock the bonuses for other characters. It would have to be self-contained to only the character that had accomplished those playthroughs, and the bonuses would need to be very minor. Just enough to make you feel rewarded for having gone that far, but not enough to make it feel like you're just "grinding playthroughs" for the unlock.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat May 05, 2012 11:56 pm

I get what you're saying, but that's exactly why it's the way it is. The game doesn't care how committed you are to it, the principles of it stand regardless, and some of the things you put on the list are just plain ridiculous anyway (arrow of death? Checkpoints? free upgrades and all items start of game? really?)

I don't see why a game should encase exploits just because you play it a *** load, and really the whole point of the game is to be hard, the tagline is prepare to die, not prepare to glitch.

also reaper thank you for that, the inspiration for that latter comment was taken straight out of that video silly
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sat May 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Necromancy, or a some kind of conjuration. Necromancy, Necromancy, Necromancy...

NECROMANCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Sun May 06, 2012 12:43 am

Ok, a couple of things.

1. Please please please PLEASE PLEASE don't make the next game any less hard than it is in DkS. I heard a quote from FROM saying somthing along the lines of "We are happy that these games are loved, but they are not a commercial sucsess. We will try to cater to a wider audience." (That was a paraphrase by the way) I don't know what that means, but I hope it dosen't mean that they will make it easier/more user friendly.

2. Fix the BS hitbox, because it is ridiculous right now. Make it so that the only way to pull one off is if you are right behind them.

3. No DWGR.

4. Make it so that every weapon is viable in PvP. Seriously, some weapons simply are better than others. Fix that please.

5. Make the covenants way cooler and make at least one covenant for every playstyle. So like, a sorcery covenant, a faith one, etc. And by cooler, I mean develop each one's story more, make each one unique, make each covenant vastly worth ranking up in, you get the idea.

Pwease From. Pweeeeeaase.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun May 06, 2012 12:58 am

Everyone here has played Demon Souls. sad

I'd love to see a difficulty menu at the beginning. And make easy just as hard as it always has been, but make normal and hard even HARDER. For example, perhaps normal will make certain bosses roam, and maybe hard will make everything a living hell. *shrug* who knows? I'd love to see this because I think it'd make a lot of people happy. The "casual" gamers, the "medium" gamers, and the "hardcore" gamers.

I'd love to see an expansion on creativity in the spells. They're all pretty standard and boring. I want to see explosions, and more AOE's, and different elements! Plus, it'd be awesome if some of the best spells in the game HAD to be aimed. For example, a single spike like Neto's spell HAS to be 20 meters from where the character is facing. The player would HAVE to aim this perfectly. Thus adding a new aspect of the game that makes it more fun, plus, it puts that much more skill needed to play the game.

A little bit more variety of the GOOD weapons. If I like the move-set of a crappy weapon, I think I should be able to make it a AMAZING BAD[BLEEP] WEAPON! Plus, new skins on upgraded weapons? Or personalized skins? As in, being able to make a gargoyle halberd type weapon out of a normal halberd? Idk. Or perhaps making your +15 Demon's Greataxe glow? I'd love to see more bad[bleep]ery in the upcoming game.

Reaperfan wrote:=
    2. Demon's Souls boss creativity. I miss bosses like Maiden Astraea/Garl Vinland, the Old Monk, and the Armor Spider. In Dark Souls bosses kind of boil down to "big scary thing trying to beat you up."
    I haven't played Demon Souls, but gosh darn it would I let someone say that the bosses weren't creative. I've come from many MANY different video games, and Dark Souls has THE most creative bosses I've EVER seen. I mean, have you SEEN the gaping dragon?! I'm not trying to be rude or anything, (in fact, I have a smile on my face right now XD) but Dark Souls has SUCH amazing boss designs. Granted, I haven't seen Demon Souls, but I think it'd be hard to see more creative bosses without seeing repeats of those bosses you mentioned. I've seen design repeats, and it's not fun :|

Serious_Much wrote:and frankly I don't think I'm the only one who has never touched methods like that on Dark Souls.
    And you are right. I have never touched any glitches in Dark Souls, nor do I try any cheap tactics. Heck, I tank Gwyn instead of doing the reposte, though, granted, that's mostly because my play style.

Another point I'd like to make is this: Do you remember your first 100 hours in this game? I do. It was the hardest video game I've ever played. And I loved it. From needs to focus on those players who play those first 100 hours in a game, then move on. We're going to have to face the fact that the hardcore Souls players (the people on the forums regularly) are in the minority. I guess posting what we want in the forums isn't going to make any difference anyway, but asking for things that will take away from the majority probably won't happen. :|

But, in the end, in my mind

Winner: Dark Souls

EDIT: For those of you who haven't read the article on IGN "comparing" Dark Souls to Skyrim, the previous sentence is referring to that. Not comparing Dark Souls to Demon Souls.

Last edited by JoeBroski09 on Sun May 06, 2012 1:14 am; edited 2 times in total
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Sun May 06, 2012 1:03 am

@Joe I have never played Demon's. I was going to get it, and I will get it eventually, but I don't have the money right now. I guess that makes two of us.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun May 06, 2012 1:07 am

Imarreteet23 wrote:@Joe I have never played Demon's. I was going to get it, and I will get it eventually, but I don't have the money right now. I guess that makes two of us.

Haha! Yep. We should make a club.

Oh, and read the last sentence of my huge essay. XD Just edited it.
    Extertionist
    Extertionist
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Extertionist Sun May 06, 2012 1:24 am

@Joe, the bosses of Demon's Souls were really much better, screw Gaping, howza bout the Tower Knight, Flamelurker, Dragon God, Fool's Idol, the Dirty Colossus, or even the Old Monk.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun May 06, 2012 1:48 am

Extertionist wrote:@Joe, the bosses of Demon's Souls were really much better, screw Gaping, howza bout the Tower Knight, Flamelurker, Dragon God, Fool's Idol, the Dirty Colossus, or even the Old Monk.

I haven't seen any of the Demon Souls bosses :|

But, compare Dark Souls bosses to Skyrim's bosses... Dragon. Dragon. Dragon. Humanoid. Dragon. Humanoid. You get my point. Dark Souls boss designs are AMAZING compared to most games, especially the big ones out today. I think they just don't want repeat bosses from Demon Souls, and you guys keep saying "like [insert demon souls boss here]." Please don't ask for a repeat boss, because if that happened, we're ALL going to be disappointed... other than the 2 of us who's never played Demon Souls haha!

EDIT: I guess it wouldn't be HORRIBLE if they bring back a boss from the past. I guess it'd even be pretty cool to see an old boss but play with new mechanics, but would you guys want to have every boss in Demon Souls back, just with different skins and colors? I know you guys don't want to simply replay Demon Souls, because if that was the case, you'd just simply play Demon Souls again. I want this next game to be NEW. Not just another series that copies itself over and over again like CoD. Gosh, that series is a FAIL.
    Extertionist
    Extertionist
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Extertionist Sun May 06, 2012 2:12 am

We get it. Also I think souls is known to be one of the few games that does bosses right.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun May 06, 2012 2:19 am

Extertionist wrote:We get it.

Sorry. I rant. A lot. *nervous laugh* Look Skyward
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sun May 06, 2012 2:26 am

JoeBroski09 wrote:I think they just don't want repeat bosses from Demon Souls, and you guys keep saying "like [insert demon souls boss here]." Please don't ask for a repeat boss, because if that happened, we're ALL going to be disappointed...

I don't think anybody really want's exact copies of bosses to come back (they've kinda already done that with the Bell Gargoyles and look at how well that worked out with the fanbase silly). We just want to see bosses with the same level of creativity put into them. Like I said before, bosses in Dark Souls just kind of boil down to "big scary thing trying to beat you up," where in Demon's Souls that was only true for maybe 60% of the bosses.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 am