Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
lextune
billy_bayonet
Reaperfan
7 posters

These seem pretty popular lately...my take on a pure pyro

Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

These seem pretty popular lately...my take on a pure pyro Empty These seem pretty popular lately...my take on a pure pyro

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:12 am

First Draft: http://tinyurl.com/6we3o2t
    First Revisions: http://tinyurl.com/7zp7azp

I'm about to be done with my Demon's Souls nostalgia binge, and I've been contemplating a new build to work on upon returning to Dark Souls. Everyone keeps talking about them and these pure pyromancy builds sound really fun. My take on this build was heavily influenced by a build used by the ever-famous sansviedotcom over on Youtube. It doesn't have any Dex casting boosts, but it makes up for it by using the Mist spells as a literal smokescreen, both hiding your actions visibly and making the opponent(s) not want to approach you as you cast your spells from within it.

It uses Fire Surge as a form of "melee attack substitue," with Fire Whip, Great Combustion, and Fire Tempest as heavy damage dealers based on the environment. The Chaos Rapier is there purely as a way that, should I somehow run out of spells to cast before the fight is over, then I am not left defenseless. Otherwise it would be purely casting Pyromancies.

About the only thing I can think to tweak around on my own might be to replace either the Great Combustions or Fire Whips with Great Fireball to provide some spells with a longer range, but I've never really been good at manually aiming those so I'm not too sure lol!

Any feedback would be appreciated, and thanks in advance happy

Last edited by Reaperfan on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

These seem pretty popular lately...my take on a pure pyro Empty Re: These seem pretty popular lately...my take on a pure pyro

Post by billy_bayonet Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:58 am

http://tinyurl.com/cxmo569 had a little tweak dual pyros are very usefull and swapping the shield for the dark hands means if your quick you can have your rapier out and the pyro glove feign an attack they will parry then you hit them GC because they think you have the dark hand out....but you dont
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

These seem pretty popular lately...my take on a pure pyro Empty Re: These seem pretty popular lately...my take on a pure pyro

Post by lextune Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:01 am

The dex would still be more useful than all that vit imo....

....and you will get better at manually aiming pyro. In fact, it becomes second nature. happy
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:19 am

lextune wrote:The dex would still be more useful than all that vit imo....

In all honestly...it probably would winking
    But this is kind of my way of forcing myself to stick purely to casting. Speccing into all that Dex will likely have me running into what I call the "Weapon problems" other peoples' builds seem to have. "Do I use a Flamberge? Or maybe a Rapier or Katana? Do I make it +15 or go Chaos or Fire?" Etc, etc. It just makes you want to do something more with all that Dex and puts too much focus on the melee weapon for my tastes, when I feel a "Pure Pyromancy" character should have a Pyromancy Flame as it's main weapon.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:08 pm

How much difference does the 45 Dexterity really do? I've seen the footage and it's very slight, sure in PvP every second counts, but would taking Dexterity up to say 20 from 12 really make such a huge difference?
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:30 pm

lol the dark hand is invisible when used with the ring of fog, no shield visual at all and if you tap L1 it looks the same as gc without the flames! also the ring of fog would help with your smoke screen tactic...
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:51 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:How much difference does the 45 Dexterity really do? I've seen the footage and it's very slight, sure in PvP every second counts, but would taking Dexterity up to say 20 from 12 really make such a huge difference?

It's fairly significant. The difference between no bonus and full bonus is something like 30% faster casting rate. True from level to level the incremental increases are negligable, but they add up and the difference from minimum to maximum is noticable.

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:lol the dark hand is invisible when used with the ring of fog, no shield visual at all and if you tap L1 it looks the same as gc without the flames! also the ring of fog would help with your smoke screen tactic...

Hmm...this seems interesting, especially tying into the stealth aspect of the build. If I were to try out this change, do you think it would be better to take off the Wolf Ring or the Bellowing Ring? I really don't like the idea of having low poise and being stunlocked, but I also don't want my spells to be hitting for less :|
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:26 am

Reaperfan wrote:
    lextune wrote:The dex would still be more useful than all that vit imo....

In all honestly...it probably would winking
    But this is kind of my way of forcing myself to stick purely to casting. Speccing into all that Dex will likely have me running into what I call the "Weapon problems" other peoples' builds seem to have. "Do I use a Flamberge? Or maybe a Rapier or Katana? Do I make it +15 or go Chaos or Fire?" Etc, etc. It just makes you want to do something more with all that Dex and puts too much focus on the melee weapon for my tastes, when I feel a "Pure Pyromancy" character should have a Pyromancy Flame as it's main weapon.

Just a matter of will I guess. My pure pyro build had 45 dex for maximum casting speed and I literally never used a weapon after Blighttown.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:42 am

Reaper the difference in casting speed of pyros is crazy. I have faced fast casting pure pyromancers and they are scary. The fireballs and combustions are really fast.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:52 am

I guess as long as I'm strong in my convictions to the theme then speccing into the Dex would be more of a bonus to my casting than a distraction. With all the feedback here I have added a modified build to the opening post. It seems pretty solid but as always, feedback is appreciated happy
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:55 am

you should have toxic mist instead of poison mist happy

I'd also say having more than one Great combustion is needed and having great fireball would be a good idea. (I personally hate whips you see)
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:59 am

Serious_Much wrote:you should have toxic mist instead of poison mist happy

I'd also say having more than one Great combustion is needed and having great fireball would be a good idea. (I personally hate whips you see)

I've always really like the Fire Whips actually, since if you keep a good mind of the environment and choke points or predict a backstab attempt and then manually aim it in their path it's actually very powerful. I admire GC's simplicity, but it's not quite as good when used for hard damage unless you spam it, which is generally frowned upon winking
    As to the Great Fireball, my main issue with that is that I'm just really, really awful at manually aiming those, so I tend to shy away from it in PvP :oops:
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:52 pm

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=4590618374507601

heres how i would incorporate the fog ring, you don't look the same but the attack and poise is still there in addition the leggings of thorns have a visual glitch with the fog ring causing them to remove your legs so it looks like your floating.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Are you *** serious???? I would love to do a Ghost cosplay!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 6:09 am