Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
BackwardsBaboon
roomsixteen
Azran
DamageCK
Reaperfan
Extertionist
robsthedon
Federally
Darkson
Oniramkenobi
Forum Pirate
dianaduh
billy_bayonet
RandelOolacile
Zetsabre
Alara78
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
mickyplankton
22 posters

Have you ever been this obsessed about a video game before?

mickyplankton

Have you ever been this obsessed about a video game before?  Empty Have you ever been this obsessed about a video game before?

Post by mickyplankton Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:05 am

Sorry that some of my posts are of a similar vein - but for me - this forum is really helpful in helping me make sense of my life. I am utterly obsessed with Dark Souls. I think about it all the time and whenever i get a chance i play it.

Whilst im not particularly worried about the addiction right now (about 500 hours in - 3rd playthrough) im wondering when it will peak and how long it will last for?

I have been hugely immersed in other games in the past - notably Half Life, Bioshock, Fallout, GTA and Advance Wars, but this is on a totally different level - should i be scared?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Have you ever been this obsessed about a video game before?  Empty Re: Have you ever been this obsessed about a video game before?

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:13 am

Do stay safe, and don't you dare go Hollow.
    Alara78
    Alara78
    Addicted
    Addicted

Have you ever been this obsessed about a video game before?  Empty Re: Have you ever been this obsessed about a video game before?

Post by Alara78 Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:15 am

No reason to be scared, just let it come over you like a warm blanket and embrace the game in all its glory happy

I've put in a over 1500 hours so far and still think about the game when I'm not playing. Always thinking of ways to enhance my build or do challenge runs.

The only other game that had me hooked like this is Demons' Souls.
    Zetsabre

Post by Zetsabre Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:23 am

I'm obsessed with the Mega Man games (huge hint on my username).

I have the same issue with Dark Souls that I did back in Demon's Souls. I never played NG+ because I would constantly make a new character with a new build. I would then keep refining builds until I finally have what I want. When I do, I start doing NG+, NG++, etc.

As this game forcuses more on gameplay mechanics, it's natural to constantly play it over and over again. I had the same effect on Metal Gear Solid. Loved the gameplay so much I played it over 100 times. Never got Big Boss ranking though sad.
    mickyplankton

Post by mickyplankton Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:55 am

Yep i think as far as gameplay mechanics go - Dark Souls is probably the most nuanced game i have ever played.
    But what really sets it apart is the Co-op/PVP culture. You can never be indifferent towards another player - you either totally love them or totally hate them. I think that is the essence of what makes the game so amazing.
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:20 pm

I second the notion that it should be embraced. The game is greatness and for good reason. Now, if you find yourself going the route of many World of Warcraft players and you stop eating or sleeping THEN is when you stop. Don't want you hurting yourself! =)
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:00 pm

dont let your personal life suffer because of it though, gaming is a release from the stress of the real world but you cant forget about your freinds or partners big grin
    dianaduh
    dianaduh
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by dianaduh Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:05 pm

i have my faves like killzone and mortal kombat, but nothing like dark souls and demons souls.
    I dream about it, dream about solving problems and lore stuff, sometimes i even wake up tired.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Its really not THAT good. Its a lot of fun, or I wouldn't be here, but I've had just as much or more fun playing other games both before and since it came out. Star Ocean 3, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2010, halo reach, pokemon., TES Morrowind, as 5 easy examples of games I have/do play and enjoy more or enjoy more often than the soul series.

Really, you guys describe it like the finger of god touched your soul and granted you eternal bliss. Nothing could ever live up to that hype.
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2010 is a game that is definitely not akin to nirvana or "being touched by the finger of god." The fact remains, the souls series is amazing or has been thus far.

Boundaries are pushed by many for many different reasons. Some would argue for the souls series, others...for need for speed. To each there own! =)
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:54 pm

I never said it was. All I said was that the soul series isn't.
    Oniramkenobi
    Oniramkenobi
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Oniramkenobi Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:00 pm

I was once addicted to "Demons Souls" but then this new Game "Dark Souls" came by and replaced "Demons " .
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:I never said it was. All I said was that the soul series isn't.

I understood, it just that your point of contention included mentioning some games that, at least for me, don't compare to the souls series.

I wasn't trying to be presumptuous I just mentioned need for speed because it was mentioned first. Admittedly there are games you probably don't favor as much as I do, case in point, Dark Souls.

Indeed the expression, "to each his own," couldn't be any more appropriate! =D
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:12 pm

I didn't ask for your opinion on any game I mentioned. I only mentioned mine in passing and as a reference to validate my point, that there are many games I have more fun playing alot of the time.

You bothered to argue with me, and in the same post negated your argue by saying "to each their own." Just a bit unnecessary, even by forum surfing standards.
    dianaduh
    dianaduh
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by dianaduh Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:21 pm

it isnt touched by gods finger. It just depends on you, how you get involved or if it gives you fun. I know lots of people who played the souls series but just dont give a damn.
    And even if anyone else thinks that souls series is amazing, doesnt mean that other game isnt. Its personal.
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Na, like you, I stated that I didn't agree, but never said you were wrong. I think your opinion is valid because it does pose room for a deeper analysis of what makes certain games and franchises more valuable to some and not others. I'm sorry you don't value my opinion, but giving it was part of a discussion pertinent to the topic.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Not really, but I'm done arguing about it regardless.

In short, addictions only rule you if you let them OP, keep yourself on a leash and you'll be fine. (isn't easy but definitely do-able)
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Aaaaah the Forum Pirate, I love how you always have to disagree with something. silly (sometimes it's good to cause some controversy)
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:44 am

Forum Pirate wrote:Its really not THAT good. Its a lot of fun, or I wouldn't be here, but I've had just as much or more fun playing other games both before and since it came out. Star Ocean 3, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2010, halo reach, pokemon., TES Morrowind, as 5 easy examples of games I have/do play and enjoy more or enjoy more often than the soul series.

Really, you guys describe it like the finger of god touched your soul and granted you eternal bliss. Nothing could ever live up to that hype.

Dude is this a gimmick? I'm not trying to be too rude here but you seem to be in the habit of just disagreeing with everything simply to do it.
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:47 am

mickyplankton wrote:
    But what really sets it apart is the Co-op/PVP culture. You can never be indifferent towards another player - you either totally love them or totally hate them. I think that is the essence of what makes the game so amazing.

That is so true, also the different build potential is mind boggling. I've been playing about 7months now and still can't get on it enough.
    Extertionist
    Extertionist
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Extertionist Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:57 am

Yes. I have been this obsessed with TF2, Ratchet @ Clank, Css, Fallout, Skyrim, Deus Ex 3, Naruto: Uzumaki Chronicles 2, Infamous, Borderlands, and Jak and Daxter.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:49 am

Dark Souls is only the 3rd most obsessed I've been with a game. The most I've ever been obsessed with a game was Pokemon Sapphire. Despite the fact I haven't played that version in years, I've still logged more hours on it than both Demon's and Dark Souls combined. I don't even want to think about how many I've logged in the series as a whole across different versions, even just the versions after Sapphire I've logged at least a few thousand hours. And my second most obsessed-over game, simply because it came out before Dark Souls and I'd had more time to be with it, was Demon's Souls.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:33 am

Dude is this a gimmick? I'm not trying to be too rude here but you seem to be in the habit of just disagreeing with everything simply to do it. [/quote]

Right? Haha.

The only other games I've put this much time into are CoD and DMC3. I'm done with CoD, but I could still play the hell out of DMC3.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:42 am

*** yeah Damage I loved DMC3. They blew it with 2 but what a recovery they made!
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:46 am

I'm psyched about DMC5 next year. The footage I've seen so far looks more like the DMC that I love. I wasn't all that impressed with 4.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:52 am