Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
ROOSTER330
DoughGuy
6 posters

Dawnguard: Yay or nay?

Poll

Should I buy Dawnguard

[ 2 ]
    Dawnguard: Yay or nay? I_vote_lcap33%Dawnguard: Yay or nay? I_vote_rcap [33%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Dawnguard: Yay or nay? I_vote_lcap67%Dawnguard: Yay or nay? I_vote_rcap [67%] 

Total Votes: 6
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Dawnguard: Yay or nay? Empty Dawnguard: Yay or nay?

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:17 am

So I've just recently got back into skyrim and figured to go my usual DB/Thief hunter who I generally make vampire for a while. So Im wondering what people thought of dawnguard. Was it good ro bad? How much is it and is it worth getting for that price?
    ROOSTER330
    ROOSTER330
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Dawnguard: Yay or nay? Empty Re: Dawnguard: Yay or nay?

Post by ROOSTER330 Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:29 am

havnt bought it yet, but Ive sooo been wondering the same thing. I'm a werewolf, and obviously vampire hunting would be my thing. Anyways, glad you posted this, hopefully someone has it and can elaborate.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:32 am

Im hoping sun gets on soon as Im pretty sure he bought it.
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:50 pm

You called? I would say it's definitely worth getting. I'll answer specific questions if you have them but I'll try to give you a basic breakdown of the dlc.

The vampire side gives you the vampire lord transformation and through side quests some rings that augment that form and an item that provides temporary bonuses much like a shrine. They also offer some gear and quests but all I know of this side comes from my friends and a bit of wiki browsing.

The Dawnguard side offers a variety of weapons and armor including crossbows and various bolts. The crossbow is upgrade by doing some fetch quests in which you recover schematics from various places. The armor offers increased protection versus vampires (25% from melee and drain life when wearing full set) and the weapons/shield do additional damage in melee. In addition to this there is a unique variant of Dawnguard hammer, waraxe, and shield. After completing the dlc 4 of the Dawnguard become available as followers. They also offer some new restoration magic that actually harms undead with raw sun damage.

However regardless of which side you choose there is some really amazing unique gear, two interesting side quests, and some interesting miscellaneous objectives and unmarked objectives. Completing these will often get you unique items. The new shouts are fun as well and there are some new conjuration spells that are actually decent including one that summons an awesome flaming skeleton horse for you to ride. Off the top of my head I can tell you that from either side you will get a holy bow, a vampire's sword, a shield that is tied to the bow, a locket that serves as light armor, a cool light armor set, and a choice of 3 items at some point. The world is also altered a bit with new locations, enemies, etc. I'm trying to avoid spoiling too much of the content here so I'm being deliberately vague. Visit the UESP wiki if you want some more specific info regarding the gear. I will say that the bow and shield I mentioned are artifacts that have appeared in the past Elder Scrolls games. Oh and the locket belongs to the very first person you meet in Morrowind.

As for the werewolf perk tree it offers at max perks +100% damage, +100 stamina and health, you are able to feed on almost anything and gain more health from it, howl of fear is more effective, the totem of the hunt is more effective, and the totem of brotherhood summons werewolf spirits instead of wolf spirits in addition to the normal werewolf stuff.

Okay I have kind of rambled a bit here but if you have more questions regarding it I will try to answer them. I hope I kept spoilers out of this as much as possible.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:37 pm

considering it'll be the usual same-old of elder scrolls it's probably not worth the money.

Only time I felt like I got a decent deal for elder scrolls was when I got game of the year oblivion for £10. In my country, just this DLC is £15, wtf?!
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Well from what Suun said ti looks pretty cool. I've got a bit of spare cash i want to spend that I havent got anything to spoend it on so Ill probably end up getting it.
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Serious I understand your point; it's $20 here when it should be no more than $15 in all honesty but I enjoyed it enough that I can honestly say I got my money's worth out of it. It does add quite a bit of content and even the repeatable radiant quests for each faction are somewhat enjoyable. I don't regret buying it.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:55 pm

This is my problem with DLC in general. Usually it costs FAR more than it is worth in terms of proportion to the original game.

For that much money, based on the quoted idea that doing everything pretty much in the game takes around 200 hours (that's being rather kind in fairness to the DLC) it should technically add on... 67 hours of gameplay in terms of quests and content to mess around with.. I somehow doubt it will take that long..

When Dark Souls DLC comes out, I'm hoping it takes at least 10 hours for me to get through the PvE element. Based on what it takes for me to blind run a playthrough on a souls game now that I understand how to play it well as I do.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Well $90 for game + $20 for DLC = &110 which is about what the CoD games are so Im happy to pay it. Not that i play the CoDs. I prefer killzone.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:59 pm

DoughGuy wrote:Well $90 for game + $20 for DLC = &110 which is about what the CoD games are so Im happy to pay it. Not that i play the CoDs. I prefer killzone.

I prefer to not play FPS happy (borderlands is the exception, but then again it's an RPG really)
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:12 am

Played Oblivion to death on Xbox. Thought I'd got a bargain when I picked up Game of the Year cheap on PS3 and started playing it again, only to find it didn't have trophies. Felt cheated.

I'm holding out on getting Dawnguard until I've finished Skyrim proper (if you ever do finish it). By which time, hopefully, it will be cheaper because I think at the moment it's too expensive for an add on. There's bound to be more dlc anyway or a Game of the Year edition at some point but I wont be getting the PS3 edition for sure.

Oh and by the way, I've just heard that they've added trophies to MGS4 on PS3. Is this true? I remember thinking at the time it was odd it didn't have them. I don't want to give the impression that I only play games for trophies/achievements because I don't but it's nice to have them because they give you a bit of encouragement.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:15 am

Thing is Ive done the DB, thieves guild, college, companions, main quest, both sides of the war, visited every city and village, explored most of the world, done every daedric quest, got all but 1 of those masks. I have pretty much finished skyrim. But at the same time its something Ive started playing again and I want something new.

Cant hel pyou on the trophies thing.
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:47 am

SunlightCrusader wrote:You called? I would say it's definitely worth getting. I'll answer specific questions if you have them but I'll try to give you a basic breakdown of the dlc.

The vampire side gives you the vampire lord transformation and through side quests some rings that augment that form and an item that provides temporary bonuses much like a shrine. They also offer some gear and quests but all I know of this side comes from my friends and a bit of wiki browsing.

The Dawnguard side offers a variety of weapons and armor including crossbows and various bolts. The crossbow is upgrade by doing some fetch quests in which you recover schematics from various places. The armor offers increased protection versus vampires (25% from melee and drain life when wearing full set) and the weapons/shield do additional damage in melee. In addition to this there is a unique variant of Dawnguard hammer, waraxe, and shield. After completing the dlc 4 of the Dawnguard become available as followers. They also offer some new restoration magic that actually harms undead with raw sun damage.

However regardless of which side you choose there is some really amazing unique gear, two interesting side quests, and some interesting miscellaneous objectives and unmarked objectives. Completing these will often get you unique items. The new shouts are fun as well and there are some new conjuration spells that are actually decent including one that summons an awesome flaming skeleton horse for you to ride. Off the top of my head I can tell you that from either side you will get a holy bow, a vampire's sword, a shield that is tied to the bow, a locket that serves as light armor, a cool light armor set, and a choice of 3 items at some point. The world is also altered a bit with new locations, enemies, etc. I'm trying to avoid spoiling too much of the content here so I'm being deliberately vague. Visit the UESP wiki if you want some more specific info regarding the gear. I will say that the bow and shield I mentioned are artifacts that have appeared in the past Elder Scrolls games. Oh and the locket belongs to the very first person you meet in Morrowind.

As for the werewolf perk tree it offers at max perks +100% damage, +100 stamina and health, you are able to feed on almost anything and gain more health from it, howl of fear is more effective, the totem of the hunt is more effective, and the totem of brotherhood summons werewolf spirits instead of wolf spirits in addition to the normal werewolf stuff.

Okay I have kind of rambled a bit here but if you have more questions regarding it I will try to answer them. I hope I kept spoilers out of this as much as possible.

Thank you for that excellent review I was considering buying it but I plan on buying Hitman:Absolution in a few months and if I get Dawnguard ill be 20$ sort but when I get the money ill probably buy it but the only problem I saw was that the Vampire form gets stuck in doors

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content