Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
BLA1NE
strangejoy
theAnimus
k0rruptid
Serious_Much
Pharaun
Carphil
Nitos-Apprentice
12 posters

Annoying Forum Habit

Nitos-Apprentice
    Nitos-Apprentice
    Casual
    Casual

Annoying Forum Habit Empty Annoying Forum Habit

Post by Nitos-Apprentice Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:17 pm

I'm posting this here because I would like more people to see it.
    If you don't know the answer to something please don't post a "Guess" or a "I think" Believe it or not but the person making the opening post can take a guess and can also 'think'. What they are trying to set out to do is to find the right answer, not what you think or guess. I see it in almost every post, some posts people even take complete guesses and state its a fact. That is all, thank you.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Annoying Forum Habit Empty Re: Annoying Forum Habit

Post by Carphil Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm sorry, but when you say:
    f you don't know the answer to something please don't post a "Guess" or a "I think"
    , you mean that someone has an Idea but he or she can't confirm because they are at work/school or away from the console. Do you want fact, search in the google or in the wiki. We are here to help the most we can, but we are not a computer with perfect answers.
    Nitos-Apprentice
    Nitos-Apprentice
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nitos-Apprentice Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:22 pm

So when someone asks if poison mist is affected by the pyro glove and one person posts I think it doesn't and another post Im guessing it doesn't then that person goes on to believe it doesn't when it in fact does, but its ok because they are at work and have their opinions. Yeah that makes sense.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Glad you could understand, I would test it for you as I have a full upgraded glove and a new one, but I'm on a trip, so I would post a "guess", but I would ask someone to confirm, you see, we are here to help the way we can
    Pharaun
    Pharaun
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Pharaun Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:28 pm

I think other people may be looking for their own confirmation. Someone in the thread will come along and confirm or deny it (usually in some smart ass manner). This is the way of the forum world turns... Just accept it and move on. The only thing you can do is not be one of "those people"

Last edited by Pharaun on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Nito, stop going hollow on us silly

Look, if you're that bothered about guesses which is what you're gonna get with questions like that then just test it yourself i say.

but to answer your question about the glove, since it's and effect of either poison or toxic, it shouldn't matter about level of the glove, the effect of poison/toxic is always uniform no matter how you're poisoned.
    k0rruptid
    k0rruptid
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by k0rruptid Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:30 pm

actually someone in that topic noted, that magic adjust did nothing to the cloud spells in demons souls, so it will likely be the same in dark souls. poison also is simply a fixed amount of % drain of hp per second, toxic being a higher %.

as the guy above said, people simply try to answer the best they can, and if you want facts, dont post a message on a forum, look it up for yourself.
    Nitos-Apprentice
    Nitos-Apprentice
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nitos-Apprentice Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Anyway ignoring the person that likes to feed people wrong information just so he can get points and posts and has a complete lack of understanding for sarcasm please stop posting guesses and 'I thinks'

and the glove wasn't my question.... I already knew the answer. Look through all the posts, in each one you will see at least one "I think" or complete guess, half of them being incorrect information.
    theAnimus
    theAnimus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by theAnimus Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:33 pm

The forums is not a mine of 100% valid information. It is a discussion board. Like any form of discussion, not everyone involved in said discussion are 100% aware of all things at all times, and cannot be relied upon to deliver completely accurate statements. If someone is looking for an answer to something, minus any discussion and interaction, perhaps they are in the wrong place.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:34 pm

I know you were sarcastic:

So when someone asks if poison mist is affected by the pyro glove and one person posts I think it doesn't and another post Im guessing it doesn't then that person goes on to believe it doesn't when it in fact does, but its ok because they are at work and have their opinions. Yeah that makes sense.

But I tried to give you an educated answer because I'm not like you :
    Glad you could understand
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:36 pm

@nito

I'm sure OP (sen) in the pyro hand/mist thread knew that people posting "guesses" or "I thinks" were merely trying to help rather than posting a definitive answer. In my case, I recalled extensive testing in Demons Souls indicating that MagAdjust had nothing to do with the strength of a cloud (the Demons Souls version of mists). Perhaps that bit of knowledge doesn't apply perfectly to Dark Souls. C'est la vie -- I don't pretend to have omniscience about Dark Souls, but I'm trying to help. If sen (the OP) or the moderators have a problem with my post, they are free to take it up with me. Until then, I have not idea why you feel obliged and entitled to be offended on sen's behalf or to make up new forum rules.

Perhaps we should all let this topic rest. That's my suggestion.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:44 pm

When I answer a question, most of the time I haven't actually researched the answer. Instead, I mine from my 500+ hours of gameplay and countless playthroughs, numerous websites read, and videos watched. Which is why I usually add "I think", because I don't know for a fact, and my memory isn't a hard-drive, but I'm pretty damn certain and well informed.

On the occasions that I have researched something, then I won't write I think. But my answers are almost as reliable either way.

Would you rather I stop answering all questions I haven't specifically researched?
    xXDaemonarchXx
    xXDaemonarchXx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xXDaemonarchXx Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:30 pm

If its an opinion, just say "in my opinion......" before w/e u think the answer is....problem solved.
    Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:53 am

Answers in the forums are like the news on tv mate... everyone speaks his bullshit, then you collect it all put it in the blender and make your own opinion. Dont expect any black or white answers all the time, use all the info you get wisely and make a decision. Sometimes even a guess might be better than nothing, or give you a hint to think of something else that you had not thought before.
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:04 am

I don't have the /played time Blaine does, but I basically take the same approach and if I do make a mistake I always post a correction later.

I would argue that some people are a lot more reliable than others. When someone with a rep like Blaine's posts an answer, I tend to take a lot more notice than if it's some random I've never heard of before posting grammatically suspect rubbish. I think to dismiss 'everyone' as speaking 'bullshit' is to miss the point somewhat. There are people on here who will just flat out give you the right answer to your question, no interpretation or 'blending' required. The real skill is filtering out the nonsense.
    sen545331
    sen545331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sen545331 Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:21 am

Serious_Much wrote:but to answer your question about the glove, since it's and effect of either poison or toxic, it shouldn't matter about level of the glove, the effect of poison/toxic is always uniform no matter how you're poisoned.

not entirely true, the poison arrows and various poison effects on the player i believe do 3hp/sec (toxic i'm not sure) at least via the arrows they only do 3, while the poison knives do 4

now i haven't tested any of the mists really, so i'm just throwing out those 2 items

dunno if there are even more levels of it
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:28 am

psst, sen, I had no idea was just a guess stated as fact to annoy Nito silly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:55 am