Here, in depth, is how I would do it for just PvE:
1) Start as Cleric. Get Master Key as your gift.
2) Get Astora's Sword (Dragoncrest Shield too if you want). Get Havel's Ring in Undead Burg. Be human, be patient, summon someone with advanced Gear to kill Havel for you. (Cheap, but that ring is so good early on for a tank build).
3) Leave your Faith at 12 for a good portion of the game. Heal is good enough. Focus on STR, bit of dex, END, and a bit of VIT.
4) Early on, level up Str to 25 (if you plan on using a 2H weapon), dex to maybe 12 so you can use a bow. Bows are great in PvE to pull enemies, in Blighttown for mosquitoes, lots of uses.
5) No need for the New Londo firekeeper soul IMO.
6) Grab the Claymore or Bastard Sword.
7) Once you have something you can survive the forest, run in there to get the Wolf Ring and Elite Knight set. Now you can go to town as a Tank!
8) Keep levelling up VIT/END/STR/DEX. 12 Faith is just fine until you're a higher level (70? Wherever you feel comfortable, but with 34 STR, 28END, 32 VIT, and high level gear I was killing lvl 100+ in PvP with a Bastard Sword or Great Sword). I tried making a holy knight and pushing faith early and it just didn't work.
9) Help kill the Gargoyles a few times, level up your armour/weapon, push into the Depths. You could also make a run for the Stone Armour if you're feeling brave. I was afraid of killing Pharis so I didn't bother.
10) Once you get your weapon to +10 and your armour decent, you can try going for the Stone Armour. Getting this armour early will really help a tank build, but Elite Knight armour/wolf ring are definitely good enough. You could also make a Suicide run for the stone armour if you know where it is. Might need some stamina boosters/ring of sacrifice.
At this point you should have gear enough to beat the game. Eagle shield is awesome for tanking, grab it in Blighttown. Heavy tank armour is Havels, Stone, Black Iron, Smoughs, Giant... whatever suits your fancy. I love Black Iron + Greatsword, but that's just me.
If you keep your dex low, either at 12 or by not levelling it up at all, you could go for 50STR/30 Faith and use Havel's shield and Grant. But without doing any PvP might be hard to acquire that many souls.
Grant/Havel's shield is a more focused build, so if you're just messing around PvE then honestly I would stop at 27 STR, and get my END to around 30, my dex around 20-30, vit about 30, then push Faith. I'd use a Bastardsword or Greatsword, Composite bow, Eagle Shield, and some kind of Talisman as my equips. I tried the Demon Machete and it wasn't for me; it is very good, I just hate the way it looks.