Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+39
Maneater_Mildred
N_Raist
Joichiro
Serious_Much
Glutebrah
ARSP
Tolvo
Ghadis_God
Federally
Jansports
DoughGuy
VeranoChico
Forum Pirate
Baiulus
Rifter7
swordiris
lextune
lordgodofhell
Rin
JohnnyHarpoon
ParasiticEve
DarkW17
reim0027
Gaxe
FruitPunchNinja
robsthedon
RANT
cloudyeki
isthefridge
Gazman0169
Anchises
Tristan
Swiftie
omega Elf
Idoloni_Belli
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Heroez Blade
Domassus
martyrsbrigade99
43 posters

Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!!

martyrsbrigade99
    martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!! Empty Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!!

Post by martyrsbrigade99 Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:34 am

Hello all,

Many people are under the impression that the DWGR is the only way to have fast mobility and thus be successful in PvP. This is hardly true. In fact, I believe that far too many people ignore the fast roll for reasons unknown. For all of you that are under the belief that the DWGR is the ONLY way for heavy builds to have fast mobility, then think again. The following links shows a 2 part series of 1v1 matches featuring fast rolling PvP, enjoy!

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4f1o-5BwE0

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6GckjGdW_E
    Domassus
    Domassus
    Casual
    Casual

Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!! Empty Re: Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!!

Post by Domassus Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:15 am

Already watched em before you posted Marty. Good stuff as always and love the commentary.
    Heroez Blade
    Heroez Blade
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!! Empty Re: Sick of the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR)!!!

Post by Heroez Blade Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:21 am

The dwgr is clearly not the only way to roll quickly, but i think people like the ring because it allows them to dodge attacks really quickly and still get an attack in. I dont use the ring myself but i could see why people would like to use it.

Good vids and commentary.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:27 am

I'm a fast roller all the way.

DWGR is for the birds. :mask-averice:
    Idoloni_Belli
    Idoloni_Belli

Post by Idoloni_Belli Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:29 am

Yeah, great videos, you always got quality uploads. You inspired me to use the Havel's ring with my heavier builds now, and I'm loving the fast roll. I feel like fast rolling is much better for positioning to get an opening too.
    omega Elf
    omega Elf
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by omega Elf Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:20 pm

to remove dwgr to get fast roll i'd have to increase endurance by over 30 levels, not worth it
    Swiftie
    Swiftie
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Swiftie Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Thats why you optimize your armor
    omega Elf
    omega Elf
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by omega Elf Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Swiftie wrote:Thats why you optimize your armor

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=2372323767631894
    http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=2323642624911846

assuming i don't care how the armors look, optimizing the armor for weight whilst still remaining over 76 poise would still require an extra 15 endurance levels, just have to face facts their is simply no advantage to going fast roll
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:23 pm

omega Elf wrote:

assuming i don't care how the armors look, optimizing the armor for weight whilst still remaining over 76 poise would still require an extra 15 endurance levels, just have to face facts their is simply no advantage to going fast roll

Well, if you're intent on using that nasty Black Knight Greataxe... :|
    Tristan
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Tristan Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:51 pm

I am just going to be completely honest here. I don't like your videos all that much. You have proven yourself to be a successful poker. I'm glad you like poking. I do however enjoy your ideas on builds being more varied by not always choosing what is expected.
    martyrsbrigade99
    martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by martyrsbrigade99 Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:47 am

Umbassa Zealot wrote:I am just going to be completely honest here. I don't like your videos all that much. You have proven yourself to be a successful poker. I'm glad you like poking. I do however enjoy your ideas on builds being more varied by not always choosing what is expected.

I don't care if you don't like my materials, but, what is a "poker?"
    Anchises
    Anchises
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Anchises Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:15 pm

There's no reason to dislike any game mechanics like rings and such, the game itself already sets rules for playing and it's silly to make up even more rules like 'no twoping' or 'no dwgr.' Players should be able to play however they like, video games are for enjoyment.

Personally, I prefer the RoFaP and fast rolling to flipping because I like the health and stamina increase, but DWGR is probably the most efficient ring in the game, which is why it's overused. If you want high poise and defense, it is simply easier to flip. Many people prefer the more difficult and less used approach, but they should do so to challenge and reward themselves, not put down other players and tactics for making an easier choice.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:24 pm

I use the DWGR simply because if I were to drop it on my current toon then I wouldn't be able to wear the equipment or wield the weapons I like without upping my stats passed the SL120 threshold, and so it is not a viable option for me to drop it at this time. Added to which, whilst fast roll is good and all, having the DWGR on my pinky with my current set-up allows me to counter attack a heck of a lot quicker than I ever would be able to without it on, and as I'm pretty deadly with my counter swings/stabs I'd be pretty stupid not to use it.
    isthefridge
    isthefridge
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by isthefridge Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:36 pm

http://tinyurl.com/csq22qh

im going to make this build today. I might even work em up slowly.
    Heroez Blade
    Heroez Blade
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Heroez Blade Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:48 pm

@ anchises

I am fully on your side here. There is no reason to make up silly rules just because you want a game to fit to your liking. The game was made to include these items which gives you a right, as a player, to use them. No matter how much someone complains i will not stop using my favorite armor, rings, weapons, spells, etc.... I honestly dont see whats so bad about the dwgr. I like the fact that it lets you roll with ease while still being able to use your favorite builds.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:48 pm

omega Elf wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/dxglsr8 I wonder if 76 poise is even worth it? After all, if you wanna use the DWGR you might as well exploit the I-frames instead.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:54 pm

imo 61 is more thane enough, even 53. if you get hit by an ultra weapon you deserved it, i usually aim for 53 and if i cant do it i go with 31.
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:17 pm

If you gonna drop the dgwr and fast roll go for a low poise build and use the ring slot for another ring like hornet,bellowing dragon, rtsr...... etc.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:21 pm

It's the easy mode ring. That's the only way i could see Fromsoft over looking such an overpowered ring, they had multiple patches with not even a slight nerf to the equip weight bonus. Way i look at it is, it's there as a crutch for players who don't want the full experience or challenge. I don't care if people don't want to challenge themselves, they have the right to enjoy the game how they want. I do hope that the "matchmaking" and other pvp oriented additions in the DLC will allow players who want to fight other players looking for the same challenge easier. It would be pretty simple, and all the flipping mom tanks could just fight other flipping mom tanks.
    robsthedon
    robsthedon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by robsthedon Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:36 pm

I use the dwgr but dislike/disliked it, I have started a low poise fast roller and using the slot for other rings, now I don't think the dwgr is as op as I thought before. I still use the favour crutch, which I think is the most useful ring
    Gaxe
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Gaxe Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:02 pm

The only thing is medium roll just isn't optimal so if you can't pull off a fast roll then you better have a DWGR.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Nice vids martyr. I have tried no DWGR and wasn't happy with the decreased defense and decreased i-frames. I just don't see any significant advantage other than the coolness factor. But, to each their own, I guess. Keep up with the vids.
    Tristan
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Tristan Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:29 pm

martyrsbrigade99 wrote:
    Umbassa Zealot wrote:I am just going to be completely honest here. I don't like your videos all that much. You have proven yourself to be a successful poker. I'm glad you like poking. I do however enjoy your ideas on builds being more varied by not always choosing what is expected.

I don't care if you don't like my materials, but, what is a "poker?"

I just feel that some people might acquire a false sense of worth unless they have varied opinions. I may end up being the only person who critiques your videos, but at least I told you the truth and cared enough about the quality of your videos to criticize them. A poker is any weapon that has a thrust animation.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Hey Marty get vids as always man...its Glatts btw!

I am not going to argue that going fast roll is better than DWGR...with the I frames and ability to run 70 some odd poise with stupid defense its the clear winner!

However that doesn't mean that you cannot be effective running fast roll...I think that's what Marty is trying to say....or if you want more of a challenge!

I was running a 40/40 build for most of the weekend dueling people without the DWGR and had a blast....with the wolf ring I can get 53 poise with decent enough armor defense and still wear 2 pieces of kirks for distrupts...I was also able to stat dark hand/pyro and great scythe and BSS...then would switch wolf for RTSR when HP is low!

I did well enough against the guys using no DWGR then went down to the burg to duel and did just fine against people with the DWGR....so as painful as it maybe at times I am going to run fast roll more myself cheers
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Umbassa no offense your welcome to your voice your opinion of course man but why would you dislike his video because he is using a spear....I don't get that?

It not like he was turtling with a havel shield...he was using a SKS and buckler shield and striking and baiting parrys like I would if I was using a spear!

Why do people hate it when others use a spear....can't we all use one?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:48 pm