Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Serious_Much
bloodpixel
Yukon
Azran
KomradDakka
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Rockstar2112
Knight Alundil
Wade_Wilson
13 posters

I'm concerned.

Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

I'm concerned. Empty I'm concerned.

Post by Wade_Wilson Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Simply put, I'm concerned. I'm concerned for the future of PC souls games, I'm concerned for From Software's credibility. This PC port is shaping up to bomb, given some of the features that have come to light. I'm not trying to be a neigh-sayer, but let's be realistic. PC gamers are used to and expect 60 FPS, stable online and HD textures. The game simply wont sell with the current state of locked 30FPS/720P upscaled and GFWL drm.

Anyone else at least partially worried about this?
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

I'm concerned. Empty Re: I'm concerned.

Post by Knight Alundil Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Mmmm I don't know. I think the repercussions of it being a massive flop (god forbid) would originally cripple from, but would perhaps make them stand their ground more in the long run.

I really don't think (and the following is just my opinion) that the Pc players deserve a perfect port. The way they have acted, at least the vocal part of their community, has been incredibly entitled. They demanded the game because apparently it was too good to just be on consoles and then they demand exactly how it's done.

Sorry if this wasn't a response you were looking for, I know I got quite off topic!
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:49 pm

Knight Alundil wrote:Mmmm I don't know. I think the repercussions of it being a massive flop (god forbid) would originally cripple from, but would perhaps make them stand their ground more in the long run.

I really don't think (and the following is just my opinion) that the Pc players deserve a perfect port. The way they have acted, at least the vocal part of their community, has been incredibly entitled. They demanded the game because apparently it was too good to just be on consoles and then they demand exactly how it's done.

Sorry if this wasn't a response you were l

Well, it's only a few vocal people who actually demanded the game. Most simply signed the petition, and PC gamers definitely deserve Dark Souls. The question is, do they deserve a version of Dark Souls identical to the console versions, or do they deserve a version of dark souls that matches pretty much the basic requirements for a modern day PC game?
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Reacting negatively to getting the same as the consoles is pretty out of order, I'd say.
    Rockstar2112
    Rockstar2112
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Rockstar2112 Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Wade_Wilson wrote:Simply put, I'm concerned. I'm concerned for the future of PC souls games, I'm concerned for From Software's credibility. This PC port is shaping up to bomb, given some of the features that have come to light. I'm not trying to be a neigh-sayer, but let's be realistic. PC gamers are used to and expect 60 FPS, stable online and HD textures. The game simply wont sell with the current state of locked 30FPS/720P upscaled and GFWL drm.

I've seen a lot of this on Facebook and Twitter also. It's shaping up to be yet another case of gamer entitlement. Dark Souls was never intended to be on PC. It was the gamers who asked for a PC port, and Namco-Bandai went along with it. From Software will be barely involved, they'd have been given a small budget and been told to tweak it so it's just playable on computers. PC gamers are getting the game, regardless of whether it's locked at 30 fps and everything else. Shouldn't you be celebrating that the PC is getting the game rather than moaning and decrying about ultimately petty concerns? The game is the important part of the deal for you, it's console gamers that are getting short changed. £10 for the extra content when most of us paid £40 originally? I'll be buying it certainly but that's £20 more investment than a PC gamer has to pay, (it's £30 for the Prepare to Die edition on Steam).

TL;DR: you're getting the game for a good price, quit moaning.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Rockstar2112 wrote:
    Wade_Wilson wrote:Simply put, I'm concerned. I'm concerned for the future of PC souls games, I'm concerned for From Software's credibility. This PC port is shaping up to bomb, given some of the features that have come to light. I'm not trying to be a neigh-sayer, but let's be realistic. PC gamers are used to and expect 60 FPS, stable online and HD textures. The game simply wont sell with the current state of locked 30FPS/720P upscaled and GFWL drm.

I've seen a lot of this on Facebook and Twitter also. It's shaping up to be yet another case of gamer entitlement. Dark Souls was never intended to be on PC. It was the gamers who asked for a PC port, and Namco-Bandai went along with it. From Software will be barely involved, they'd have been given a small budget and been told to tweak it so it's just playable on computers. PC gamers are getting the game, regardless of whether it's locked at 30 fps and everything else. Shouldn't you be celebrating that the PC is getting the game rather than moaning and decrying about ultimately petty concerns? The game is the important part of the deal for you, it's console gamers that are getting short changed. £10 for the extra content when most of us paid £40 originally? I'll be buying it certainly but that's £20 more investment than a PC gamer has to pay, (it's £30 for the Prepare to Die edition on Steam).

Case closed. +1
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 pm

can you quit acting like were (pc players) all entitled cry babies? i feel like a 3rd class citizen on this part of the forum sometimes...geez

There will be some backlash about the frames per second and resolution for sure, but thats from the crowd thats gaga for graphics, most normal people will just like the game for what it is.

to answer your question wade, In my opinion we should get the Console quality of game with PC standard accessibility (keymapping, steam overlay, etc.)
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:17 pm

"Hey, From Software, give us a port of your awesome PS3/XBOX360 game which runs in 30FPS and 720p! And as fast as you can! This game is awesome!"

"Hey, From Software! You gave us this port extremely fast, but runs in 30FPS and 720p! This game sucks now!"

I am a PC gamer. You don't see me complaining about superficial details. It's Dark Souls. On PC. WE made it happen.

And you are somehow angry against a company that actually gives a crap about their customers?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:36 pm

I have a feeling that Yukon is right on the money. The PC gamers will get their game and will either like it, or won't. Shouldn't affect the console crowd to much.

Having said that, I hope that the PC port is successful because I want everyone to have a good experience with this wonderful game. Now if PC gamers can't get past some innocuous gameplay issues then I don't know what to say (should also add that I too play some games on the PC, but I am also not a graphics ****) to them. Now if the problems are so great that it makes the port unplayable then that would be a different story...

EDIT: I could have sworn Yukon had posted on this thread... *scratches head*
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:44 pm

:pirat: I thought I was being redundant and confirming the OP's fears needlessly.

Next time quote me so my shame is visible to the world.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Hey, we got a dlc out of it.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:09 pm

fact is, they said it was gonna be a direct port. if they were gonna whine about a game having only 30fps and only 720hd res, they shouldn't have asked for one. i hope if it does bomb from will be okay.

i'd gladly never have full HD resolution or highest framerate if it meant games were all as incredibly good as dark souls.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Oh, and I know I'm a little late with this, but I'm not one of the PC players who are ripping on the game. I'm a PS3 player who plans on getting the DLC, I'm just a little worried for PC bros.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Rockstar2112 wrote:

The original poster was clearly concerned about the financial risks of this venture for From software, not "moaning". You're post was unnecessarily insulting, and missed the point.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 pm

Hey, Demon's Souls had no marketing campaign. And it was a sleeper hit. Pretty much everyone will end up buying Dark Souls, whether to play it with their pals or because they haven't got a console but have seen some excellent Let's Play and want to try it out.

Stop stressing yourself over things that have not happened yet. We'll see how it goes once it hits the streets.
    Bcc17
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bcc17 Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:00 am

In my eyes, if it runs identical to the console version, it's a success. If it runs better, then great! I'm rather impartial to the whole situation, I'm in it mostly for the early DLC and to "welcome" the PC gamers to Dark Souls. twisted
    dannyhugz
    dannyhugz
    Regular
    Regular

Post by dannyhugz Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:31 am

I don't know if it was said, because its way early here, but it was never actually stated by From that the game caps at 30FPS and has a locked resolution. They actually stated the opposite recently, that the aforementioned info was purely speculation by a blogger/etc. The game supports up to 1080 and has a wide range of resolutions available. Also if you haven't seen the newly released gameplay trailer of the Artorias area/fight, when/if you see it you'll notice the game looks at least as good as it does on the PS3. I just wish someone would confirm if the game will be running with VAC, cause laying the smackdown on hackers/exploiters would seriously make my purchase doubly concrete lol.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 pm

As long as it runs like the console version I really don't mind. Also I wouldn't read into what Pc gamers say on the net, they don't represent the majority. It will do well on this platform.
    dannyhugz
    dannyhugz
    Regular
    Regular

Post by dannyhugz Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Moonlight Knight wrote:As long as it runs like the console version I really don't mind. Also I wouldn't read into what Pc gamers say on the net, they don't represent the majority. It will do well on this platform.

There's actually an update on gamespot forums someone copy/pasted from a dev interview that said they recently fixed several FPS issues that occur on the consoles. Pray they mean blighttown kthx!
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:10 pm

That 30fps/720p info comes from the hands-on a few "gaming journalists" (ugh) did on the PC version.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 pm

This thread is a little depressing, to be honest... :|
    Phantasmio
    Phantasmio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Phantasmio Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:17 am

I do hope it sells well. I am a big pc gamer, but I certainly won't be a pc elitist feeling entitlement that I should have the most glorious and beautiful rendition of Dark Souls to hit the gaming world. It does suck that the game will not have all these graphical enhancements, as that would also be another big selling point for the game. PC gamers that have never played Dark Souls are probably expecting something on graphical par with many of the PC games out today, so I hope this doesn't give From and the game itself a bad rap for "poor graphics" and such, as the game is quite beautiful on the console version.
    I just don't want this investment end up biting From in the *** and preventing them from releasing more games (From is one of my favorite developers, as I am a hardcore Armored Core fan, dating back to the old school PS1 AC days xD.) I am hoping that their sales simply result in a nice amount of profit so they can continue to give us all quality games and content. This petition managed to make From go against their word of never releasing DLC, so if we aren't expecting a brand new Souls game soon, maybe we can get some more awesome DLC from our brothers and sisters at From Software! Maybe if I'm lucky, they'll pop out a new Armored Core game (hahah, in my dreams, I still love me some Dark Souls!)
    Phantasmio
    Phantasmio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Phantasmio Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:22 am

Bcc17 wrote:In my eyes, if it runs identical to the console version, it's a success. If it runs better, then great! I'm rather impartial to the whole situation, I'm in it mostly for the early DLC and to "welcome" the PC gamers to Dark Souls. twisted
    I missed this earlier, I like your attitude here, my friend!
    We get to welcome a brand new family to our wonderfully fun world of Dark Souls! Let us all just hope for the best, for From's sake and for our sake!
    All this joy and happiness is making me feel a bit Praise the Sun

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:30 pm