Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
FexDS
Azran
6 posters

Ugh. And he calls himself a writer.

Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Ugh. And he calls himself a writer. Empty Ugh. And he calls himself a writer.

Post by Azran Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:08 am

So, old news. But maybe someone hasn't heard of this.

Ladies and gentlemen, David Gaider - a writer - saying that in an open, free-form RPG, YOUR CHOICE DOESN'T MATTER. How can you even get wrong the single genre your company lives on?

Spoiler:

I don't think I will ever buy a Dragon Age game as long as that guy is working on it.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Ugh. And he calls himself a writer. Empty Re: Ugh. And he calls himself a writer.

Post by FexDS Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:57 am

Gaider always striked me as pedantic, and his posting makes little sense haha.
    Phantasmio
    Phantasmio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Ugh. And he calls himself a writer. Empty Re: Ugh. And he calls himself a writer.

Post by Phantasmio Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:03 am

Azran wrote:So, old news. But maybe someone hasn't heard of this.

Ladies and gentlemen, David Gaider - a writer - saying that in an open, free-form RPG, YOUR CHOICE DOESN'T MATTER. How can you even get wrong the single genre your company lives on?

Spoiler:

I don't think I will ever buy a Dragon Age game as long as that guy is working on it.
    That's ridculous! It certainly appears to me that my choices matter. How does one write for a game like that when they believe such a thing. Personally, I enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins (never played the new one.) but I had no clue their writer thought such a strange thing even though the game he is writing for is focused on making your decisions to shape your destiny in a unique way.
    Strange, strange.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Personally, I think he got too emotionally involved with the lore. Dragon Age's lore was supposed to be adjustable to every player, but he started considering it his child, I guess, and wanted to be the only one who could touch it.

Also, he defended Twilight's love story as one of the best ever - and an inspiration he used when he was writing his love "stories" in game.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:38 pm

Well to be fair, Twilight's love story is usually way more "realistic" and interesting than those found in games. But, are we really looking for that great of romance in our games?
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Tell that to fans of Final Fantasy, tolvo.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Uh....I'd rather not say anything about the romance in those games, and my opinions on how bad it is haha.

I'd love a game with a great romance story, but often its just super generic or mary sue on mary sue love. Starkiller...Star Wars games actually had some decent romance in them, but that went right out the window with TFU. Damn you TFU!
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:51 pm

What about Ico?
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Tolvo wrote:Well to be fair, Twilight's love story is usually way more "realistic" and interesting than those found in games. But, are we really looking for that great of romance in our games?

If you define realistic as "obsessive" and interesting as "creepy", well, I think you hit the nail silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Pretty much, that's what love is if you ask me haha.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:21 pm

I liked Dragon Age Origins story, mainly because I can read it straight from Warhammer Fantasy books, just changing the names.

There, instant Thedas lore.

The main fact that always made me laugh was the irony of the storytelling device they chose to use to make the game "replayable."

Dark Souls won't let you in into the story - you aren't a chosen one, you are just another lonely warrior, and bad stuff happened and you can't do jack about that. And it's still more replayable than Dragon Age.

At least Mass Effect 2-3 has better dialogue.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:50 pm

Rather chilling to hear someone warn prospective buyers in this sense, when in particular it runs counter to the premise of the gameplay. It renders the entire scope of choice/consequence as illusory and admits that the entirety or the game experience is basically pre-canned.

I like how he uses conditionals like should and would to defend their handling of absolutes like life and death. He sounds like he should be writing for God of War.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Also Azran, please start every post with "The kid..."

It would make me smile.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Are you kidding?

*Smiles and dances while cartoony music plays*
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:41 pm

The Kid considers the request. Leans on his soft chair while twiddling his thumbs.

At last, he agrees. He's a good Kid.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:59 am