Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Glutebrah
Wisp
passivefamiliar
Rifter7
IV_Mark_VI
9 posters

Thrust/Slash/Impact

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Thrust/Slash/Impact Empty Thrust/Slash/Impact

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:49 am

Hey everyone,

Unsure if a thread like this has been done before.

Personally, I don't notice much difference between the three attacks. From what I've read, the proper tool in warfare was really important; the Lochaber axe, Warhammer with it's heavy weight and piercing attack...

Should these difference be made more apparent in Dark Souls? I think it would be interesting if, depending on the armour someone is wearing, and attack is just... not effective. For example, could you get enough weight with a dagger to pierce a fully plated knight? Should a whip do any damage whatsoever, or just do 0 (or close to it?). I would like a system that requires different tools depending on the situation even moreso than dark souls.

Some weapons used weight to do damage to their opponents, such as a heavy broad sword. A light slashing weapon I just don't see doing much damage.

What do you guys think? Slashing should do really well against lightly armoured opponents, and for heavily clad super armour, you should need somethign suitable to open them up, just like in old days.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Thrust/Slash/Impact Empty Re: Thrust/Slash/Impact

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:22 pm

Actually, this thread isn't really to do with PvP. If a mod could move it to the general forum it would be appreciated...
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:30 pm

any kind of armor, be it medieval plate or a modern tank, has a weakness where movement happens.

i don't see it being that farfetched that the right dagger in the right hands could do some damage to an armored opponent.
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:41 pm

I think it would be to difficult design wise is why we havent seen it. They tried to put something like that in with the armor system though if you look at stats. But to make it completely realistic, i can't imagine how hard that would be.

BButi really like the idea alot. If they can manage it i'd like to see it develope more and more with each souls game.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Well it's in there, but do you pick your weapon on that it does thrust damage..? Or do you notice much difference?

I just wish the effects were more noticeable is what I'm saying.

To manage it, they could use the system already in place, and just change the numbers for the physical. For heavy armours, up the slash defense, lower the thrust. Wouldn't be perfect, but I would just like to use a particular attack not just for the moveset, but because it's more effective on an opponent.
    Wisp
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Wisp Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:13 pm

They are noticeable... especially with the skeletons
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Do they affect your weapon of choice in a PvP duel?
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:45 pm

i always thought that weapon weight should determine poise break
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:49 pm

i actuaslly do notice slight differences in damage done to me by varying damage types... but only when weaing full giants v.s a katana user instead of a spear user and even then its only like 20 points in favor of the spear. how about if differnt damage types damaged armor at different speeds? thrust breaks heavy armor fastest, impact breakes medium fastest and slash destroys light fastest.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:09 pm

If it doesn't affect what weapon you use, then it's not noticeable IMO.
    Wisp
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Wisp Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:26 pm

It effects how many hits it takes to kill something when you're doing pve at low level with unupgraded equipment. Doesn't really change much beyond that tbh.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Demons souls had a better grasp on this in PVE atleast, it was scary to go through world 2 without a piercing weapon or magic, and I didn't even want to look at world 4 until I had a blunt weapon when I first started.

Actually when I first started dark souls and got creamed in the graveyard by the skeletons I went exploring for a bit found the mace and thought to myself, THIS will completely destroy those skeletons! ran back and got creamed 2 more times.

Its much less noticeable the effect weapon types have on enemies in pve. I wish they'd bring that back, but I understand they wanted to allow people to play through a whole game using a single weapon or something.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:39 pm

Yeah, I can understand it as well. Plus, it would mean you'd have to upgrade two or three weapons, which means more grinding. Good point Yukon; if it was very noticeable, you'd need a few weapons, and you'd need to upgrade all of them.

Still, I wouldn't mind that so much happy
    N_Raist
    N_Raist
    Casual
    Casual

Post by N_Raist Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:45 pm

For PvE, I find it OK. You should have to plan your gear depending of the part of the game.

For PvP, no. You could not have a build, since you would have to change your weapon every match. And I think that a DEX build does not have much options to defeat a tank with your idea. I would modify the defenses to make it more noticeable, but nothing more.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:10 pm

It's a small and hardly noticeable effect, but thrust does do more than slash against armor, while slash usually does more on clothes and the other two and normally affected. It really has to do with the slight differences in slash/thrust/normal resistance on the armor itself, some are affected more than others. The Catarina, for example, has a seriously noticeable defense boost against slash as far as pure resistance is concerned. Whether it translates to a significant advantage, I don't know.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 3:37 pm