Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
Tomhet
Juutas
BLA1NE
Nybbles
Shakie666
GkMrBane
Wisp
roanispe
Ghadis_God
Joichiro
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Zakkia
The Letter X
RANT
PlasticandRage
Rynn
20 posters

Holy ****, they KILLED Greatswords

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Holy ****, they KILLED Greatswords Empty Holy ****, they KILLED Greatswords

Post by Rynn Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:13 pm

THat's not a nerf, that's a murder. Greatswords now swing slower then Ultra Greatswords when you two hand them.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Holy ****, they KILLED Greatswords Empty Re: Holy ****, they KILLED Greatswords

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:17 pm

haha lightning claymore users.

On a serious note though, I kinda wish they'd stop changing things like this. It's cool that they're fixing things, but it seems like each time they put out a new patch a couple of my toons that I considered complete become useless.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:25 pm

the only thing that pisses me off about it is that i cant counter roll bs as easy as before since the animation is too slow to unlock and aim behind me that it gets me killed a lot and it never happened to me before the patch. my poor msgs...its still really good though.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:27 pm

I've never used a Greatsword in PVP, and I still feel sorry for you GS users. I even miss getting stunlocked every time I made a mistake against one because it felt right to have the fear instilled into me when seeing a sword as big as me swinging at my face.
    Zakkia
    Zakkia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zakkia Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 pm

I dont see it? I seem to swing fine and still get the usual amount of kills before the patch/dlc.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Are you using GS's or Ultimate GS's Zakkia? I haven't noticed it with the Zwiehander, but I notice it with the MSGS

Ultra rather. Where is my head today?

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:44 pm

where as before a greatsword class weapon could infinitely stunlock (especially certain ones like the mlgs) now you can easily roll out without toggle escaping before the second strike lands.
    Zakkia
    Zakkia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zakkia Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:50 pm

I used my +5 occult claymore, i guess i see the stunlock change, which kinda sucks, but in swing speed i cant really notice it. Hm.. now that i look at it, this first swing is quite slow on the gs, however the following swings are still the same speed.
    Joichiro
    Joichiro
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Joichiro Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:06 pm

i was hoping that the nerf wouldn't be so harsh on the GLGS, but no, From really make useless my only favorite weapon...
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:36 pm

Only the second swing is much slower. They're still not as slow as UGS, UGS just have longer stagger frames so the next r1 will connect.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:59 pm

the thing that really pisses me off is that they nerfed the speed of the gs but they didnt take the time to nerf the speed of the bkga, i mean come on a greataxe with the speed of a damn falchion(first hit) and you need 76 poise to tank one hit lol, the ar nerf did nothing.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:05 am

Rant, the BKGA suffered an invisible 20-25% damage nerf. Still a good wepon, but it's not stronger than a GS now, it just has stunlock.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:06 am

^ I've actually been noticing it being a little bit weaker. I've killed a couple of BKGA users over the last few days and it's been evident to me. Although I'm also using heavy armor for the first time so I guess that could account for something too.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:23 am

i did say the ar nerf didnt do anything, its still really strong and most important of all really fast for what it is. people say how easy it is to parrry but that's only if your opponent sucks and just spams r1, if you go up against someone good that's using it, its scary good.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:32 am

"Deadly in the hands of a skilled player" applies to nearly every weapon and spell in the game. I think the nerf was highly appropriate, now it acts like a slower greatsword with higher poisebreak and more range (not to mention weight).
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:40 am

Joichiro wrote:i was hoping that the nerf wouldn't be so harsh on the GLGS, but no, From really make useless my only favorite weapon...

It's still a very good weapon. I got my 83 streak with essentially it alone. The nerf means that you can't combo r1 into r1 with anything except a Moonlight Greatsword one-handed attack. However, the time between a running attack into a r1, and rolling into an r1 still hasn't been effected. These alone provide a good enough tool set to work with.
    Wisp
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Wisp Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:13 pm

Run + R1 -> R1 -> R2
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:59 pm

you can also do the r1 take a half step then r1 again to do the first move in the gs combo over and over, still slower than before but not as slow as doing the second move in the combo.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Rynn wrote:THat's not a nerf, that's a murder. Greatswords now swing slower then Ultra Greatswords when you two hand them.

Yea thats what I said.

Also you can tell how badly they were nerfed not only in PVP but in PVE because enemies and NPC will now dodge or block the second swing even when their guard is supposed to be broken.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:20 pm

I haven't tested in pvp or anything (hell, I never do pvp), but i'm almost certain that the MLGS swings much faster than the other GS's. Just compare the swing speed of it with another GS, its not as quick as it was before the patch, but its still quick.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:42 pm

it's my opinion that a better fix for the stunlock issue would have been to add a few frames of invincibility after your poise was broken to allow for a quick escape or block.

if the speed of the greatswords was left alone, you'd still be able to get in an extra hit or two after breaking someone's poise, at the same time, they wouldn't get stunlocked into oblivion. this would also render the weapon swap glitch moot.

i think this would maintain a better balance between the dex and str weapons. the str weapons would maintain their ability to break poise and stun, which i think would match the dex weapons superior speed.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:09 pm

Honestly, I find that the slower speed makes the greatswords better.

The first time I used one after the patch, I was really surprised just how much slower they are now. It's a huge difference. I rarely ever used them to begin with (I use mainly daggers and curved swords), but I was playing on my friend's game and the only weapon he had decently upgraded was a Claymore. I was fighting Artorias (on NG+2), and when the opportunity presented itself I spammed R1... and promptly got myself killed. The sword was so slow!

But seriously, I think it's a huge improvement, because now I have a ton more fun using them. After that initial surprise, I played thoughtfully and made use of the Claymore's full moveset, and I had a blast! One of the most fun fights I've had in all my time playing Dark Souls was using the Claymore--I'd have never said that before the patch. It used to be the noob-tube of Dark Souls! Now it's actually a fun, well-rounded weapon.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Everyone b-itching about greatswords second swing speed being nerfed apparently just based their tactics around spamming 2H R1 so it's good for them to move on from stunlocking.
    Onehanded GS R1 spam can still stunlock by the way if you are into it.
    Damage is still good and stun is still good (after the patch even more viable) and the movesets are fairly good so what's the problem?
    Tomhet
    Tomhet
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tomhet Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:29 am

For me the problem is speed. The other day I got summoned to fight the Four Kings on NG+ (maybe higher) and I had to switch weapons because I wasn't doing enough damage with my GS. They are not that great for PvE anymore and that's a big issue for me at least.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:03 am

Greatswords can still stunlock as they did before, you just can't use simple R1 spamming and have to think about your combos a bit, that's all.

BKGA, while strong, is pathetic to parry, but it hurts if you fail.

Based by people I meet online, nobody cares much about the nerf. There's still a ton of BKGA and Claymore/MLGS users.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:00 pm