Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
CaligoIllioneus
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Emergence
ChizFreak
lordgodofhell
reim0027
Avenger649
Major_kenny
The Letter X
PlasticandRage
Ghadis_God
FinPeku
Spurgun
WyrmHero
Sentiel
Rynn
20 posters

I still say Dark Magic is physical.

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

I still say Dark Magic is physical. Empty I still say Dark Magic is physical.

Post by Rynn Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:23 am

Dark Orb and Dark Bead both are almost completely not effected by spells like Great Magic Barrier. I was doing 400 damage per dark orb to a giants + Mask of Mother user who cast GMB
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

I still say Dark Magic is physical. Empty Re: I still say Dark Magic is physical.

Post by Sentiel Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:37 am

Are you sure it was GMB and not just MB?
    Whenever I use GMB, all magic gets seriously weaker to the point I can just ignore it.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

I still say Dark Magic is physical. Empty Re: I still say Dark Magic is physical.

Post by WyrmHero Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:38 am

Try Dark Orb and GHSA on a crystal golem you'll see.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:42 am

WyrmHero wrote:Try Dark Orb and GHSA on a crystal golem you'll see.
    I just did. Mine did 390 damage.
    That was definitely Great Magic Barrier, he was sending me hatemail about it. It did so little i didn't even notice he'd buffed himself with it.
    EDIT: It might change the data a bit that I have 50 strength, do we get how Dark Magic works at all?
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:55 am

What catalyst are you using?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:58 am

I'm using Logans or the Tin Crystal, i tested both and both had similar results. Most of my damage goes through GMB
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Then having high str probably hange the spells somehow. Maybe they go through mag defence?
    Because they wouldn't deal any chip damage if they were physical.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:04 pm

Rosei did some science on Dark magic and they do scal with Str, so it's possible that the damage increase is only phzsical and thus it raises with caster's Str + Manus Catalyst.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:05 pm

I've no clue how it works... but that seems possible. However, in rosies thread, damage only went up by like 60 at most, it wouldn't make the giant gap I'm seeing, where 80% of the damage goes through GMB
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Some people say that GMB almost nullifies the ark magic, while others say that thye've been OHK through their GMB.

We really need to test the dark magic more.
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:45 pm

I have a video clip recorded where i let a guy spam 3 casts of dark bead and pursuers on my face and i took very little damage. Great magic barrier definitely nullifies dark magic.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:02 pm

I remember using even Magic barrier to great effect in duels with dark mages, and it cuts their damage down by a lot. Not that I've been hit by Dark Orb, but it saved me against pursuers and Dark Bead.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Rynn wrote:
    WyrmHero wrote:Try Dark Orb and GHSA on a crystal golem you'll see.
    I just did. Mine did 390 damage.
    That was definitely Great Magic Barrier, he was sending me hatemail about it. It did so little i didn't even notice he'd buffed himself with it.
    EDIT: It might change the data a bit that I have 50 strength, do we get how Dark Magic works at all?

That must be then. When I did the tests on crystal golems I only had 27 Str. GHSA and Dark Orb were very low (around 70 damage) but close one another. Same as the theory that xach suggested for Black Flame having a physical and a fire part, dark sorceries physical "part" could increase with higher Str.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:12 pm

The way shields seem to operate against it suggests that it's a mix though, favoring magic damage, at least in my experience. I've been tooling around with the Crystal Ring Shield to block magic with my tank recently, and it blocks the majority of regular sorcery damage, but Dark Magic seems to have a much larger effect. My response was to try to block dark magic with my SKSh instead, and it pretty much did the same thing. Seems to go right through both, but ultimately the CRS blocked a higher degree of the damage.

I could do some more precise testing on that if anyone's interested in seeing the results. I'm not going to bother otherwise.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:14 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:The way shields seem to operate against it suggests that it's a mix though, favoring magic damage, at least in my experience. I've been tooling around with the Crystal Ring Shield to block magic with my tank recently, and it blocks the majority of regular sorcery damage, but Dark Magic seems to have a much larger effect. My response was to try to block dark magic with my SKSh instead, and it pretty much did the same thing. Seems to go right through both, but ultimately the CRS blocked a higher degree of the damage.

I could do some more precise testing on that if anyone's interested in seeing the results. I'm not going to bother otherwise.

I am really interested in finding out if you don't mind.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Yeah, that's cool. I'm doing some whip testing with pwn later tonight. I'll test this too and post the results

Oh wait, I could just test it against the dark sorcerers in Oolicile. I'll get on that in a minute.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Major_kenny
    Major_kenny
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Major_kenny Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:18 pm

well, after I use GMB I simply ignore all kinds of magic except pyro's. And yes, it does reduce the damage of the dark magic so much as the regular magic. you probably got a MB Rynn.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:52 pm

But in the end if I use Crest Shield, which blocks 85% Magical and 100% Physical, it will still do a great job, since it will reduce the Physical side of the spells to 0 and the Magical side to 15%.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Well, i don't know, i sincerely believe that its unlikely that someone would send me hatemail about their great magic barrier doing nothing... if they weren't using it.

Okay, just faced another guy who cast magic barrier, took me from 600 per blow to 280
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:00 pm

It's more magic than physical. I just tested my shields against the dark orbs cast by the dark sorcerers in Oolicile. Against my SKSh, with 100% phys reduction, and 40% magic red, 92 damage got through, and against my CRS, with 70% phys red, and 90% magic red, 41 damage got through.

Do you have high STR Rynn? Maybe if you have higher STR than INT it does more physical based damage, and vice versa? We've already established that it becomes more powerful with higher STR
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:57 pm

I have 99 int and 50 strength.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:05 pm

Well so much for that logic then. I don't know. Where shields are concerned it definitely has a higher magic effect than physical. I'm not sure how would account for GMB though.

Or maybe it just scales better with INT, than STR. Both occurrences would still make sense, as I'm sure the dark sorcerers have base STR. I'll test more extensively when I get home from work and have someone else to test with. Maybe I'll try with both my STR toon and my INT toon against the same toon and see what happens.
    Avenger649
    Avenger649
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Avenger649 Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:30 pm

From my testing it seems that dark magic is part physical and part magic in PVP, however from my short testing with the sorcerers it is virtually the opposite. great magic barrier does very little against them while being very effective in PVP.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:57 pm

^ That's odd. My testing is coming up with results that are the exact opposite. It couldn't just be random right?
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:33 pm

I have a 380 with 50 int and 58 str and 50 faith that we could test, if needed (including GMB). I also have a 60 with 44 int and 16 str that could help test.

It makes much more sense to test PvP than PvE, since there aare obvious differences.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:13 am