Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
defacto
aceluby
befowler
Bioraptor
Tomhet
bla
GkMrBane
CaptanSpudsy
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Oran_G_Coon
RANT
Slarg232
Isirith
Soris Ice Goldwing
Everynevers
Djem
The Letter X
Automancer
deadagain
SillentShadow
MiketheMushroomMan
25 posters

Are there any other video games that are worthy of comparison?

MiketheMushroomMan
    Casual
    Casual

Are there any other video games that are worthy of comparison?  Empty Are there any other video games that are worthy of comparison?

Post by MiketheMushroomMan Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Apart from Demons Souls of Course?

For me there are none. But prior to experiencing Dark Souls i had very high regard for the following:

Shadow of the Colossus - A great work - perhaps PS2 finest game - and perhaps closer in spirit to Dark Souls than most.

Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2) - a gorgeous and very fun and playable RPG.

Dragon Quest 8 - ditto.

Bioshock - beautiful and haunting FPS set in a wonderfully realised dystopia

Half Life 2 - Another thoroughly absorbing Action Adventure.

GTA Vice City- Music, Style, freedom, a very entertaining sandbox game.

However - none of the above could i consider to be works of genius that transcend their medium. Dark Souls on the other hand can be compared with any great work of art and stand up well against it imo
    SillentShadow
    SillentShadow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Are there any other video games that are worthy of comparison?  Empty Re: Are there any other video games that are worthy of comparison?

Post by SillentShadow Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Hummmm.

Baldurs gate first 2 games;

The first DOOM;

Half Life (the first game beats the secind by far far away);

Halo Combat Evolved;

Jagged Alliance 2;

War of the Worlds;

Monkey Island;

Morrowind (WAY better tha skyrim)

(Yup all old but gold games, these were all marks for me, as dark souls was)
    deadagain
    deadagain
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Are there any other video games that are worthy of comparison?  Empty Re: Are there any other video games that are worthy of comparison?

Post by deadagain Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Tenchu is the only game besides demons and Dark that ruined all other games for me for a long time. Soon the flames will fade and you will be able to try other games. As of now I am trying to force myself to play other games, Ive decided to go the racing game route since I cant compare those to the souls games. Right now Im on GT5 and its pretty cool, I havnt played anything but rpg and action games in so long that this is a nice break, I actually relax when Im playing.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Shadow of the Colossus does not need anyone to defend it because it's simply amazing. It revolutionized boss battles. Sorry but F*CK quicktime events.

I would say the .hack series. The lore in the entire 'franchise' is mind blowing.
    Also, the lore of the entire Zone of the Enders series, from all the way back to the Gameboy series.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Armored Core: For Answer is the only game that I enjoy playing besides Dark Souls at the moment.
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:27 pm

Shadow of the Colossus, man... That game is closer in story telling to Dark Souls than any other game. It gives you nothing, along with everything... Just like Dark Souls, it had lots of players searching for the tiniest bit of knowledge years after it was released...

Unlike our Pendant, at the end it worked out for them though. If I remember correctly, someone found a dam from ICO (previous game by the producer) hidden away somewhere in the game, obviously not meant for players to find.

Keep believing people. One day we will find our dam too. One day.
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvpcwR7Omdg

The video is uploaded by the guy who originally found the dam too. Respect to that guy for not giving up. The Dark Souls community will probably completely stop searching when the second game is released.
    Everynevers
    Everynevers
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Everynevers Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

It's not similar in design, gameplay or story, lol... The similarity is that I've not respected any game designers as much as the SotN team before the Souls games came along. I played it around the time it came out at a friend's place and thought I had beat it... Years later I remembered I really liked it so I bought it for XBL... then I found out that I only had done the false ending (less than half of the game). When I flipped the map, my brain 'sploded!! Such a brilliant move, imHo.

Shadow of the Colossus came out while I was sequestered in college so I never played it but always wanted to; so I got the HD collection with Ico. If it wasn't for DkS, I'd have finished them by now but I have trouble bringing myself out of playing DkS =/ ... that said, lovely game. Difficult for me too.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:06 pm

Other games I love in no order:

Spoiler:

Are these better or close to Dark Souls and Demon Souls? No but if I ever lose my copy, I'm playing these till I get it again.
    Isirith
    Isirith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Isirith Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:26 pm

The Letter X wrote:Armored Core: For Answer is the only game that I enjoy playing besides Dark Souls at the moment.

Some.. Someone... Someone else.. A-actually plays this..?
    I-I.. I thought I was the only one..

I'm actually speechless.

Also...
    :bas:
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Isirith wrote:
    The Letter X wrote:Armored Core: For Answer is the only game that I enjoy playing besides Dark Souls at the moment.

I'm actually speechless.

Also...

Pfft, of course someone else plays it! We've still got thousands hundreds dozens ... I can probably count the people who still play the game on one hand, but I'm glad someone else plays it.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:28 am

I think Legend of Zelda is the only game that really compares to Dark Souls game-wise (It's kinda like "Babies first Souls", but not in a bad way).

The only two games that really revolutionized my way of thinking were Secret of Mana on the SNES, and Shadow of the Collosus.

Though with SotC, if most people thought that the last Collosus was to be pitied, is it bad that I was thinking grinning like a fool while I killed him?
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:42 am

Slarg232 wrote:Though with SotC, if most people thought that the last Collosus was to be pitied, is it bad that I was thinking grinning like a fool while I killed him?

In our defense the thing was somewhat the reason we lost our horse, and to me if we killed it faster those pricks may not have gotten to the temple before we did. Man I really did not think many here would know these games! It is welcoming.

On topic: How did I not think of Zelda? Some of those games are to me the stepping stones to hard gameing.
    Isirith
    Isirith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Isirith Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:55 pm

The Letter X wrote:
    Isirith wrote:

I'm actually speechless.

Also...

Pfft, of course someone else plays it! We've still got thousands hundreds dozens ... I can probably count the people who still play the game on one hand, but I'm glad someone else plays it.

I've been told to use Assault Armor less.. sad
    But I like the sound it makes!
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Monster Hunter games, i have about a thousand hours with greatswords only on unite, if you thought the souls series was hardcore you havent seen anything yet.
    Oran_G_Coon
    Oran_G_Coon
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Oran_G_Coon Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:38 pm

RantFromRant wrote:Monster Hunter games, i have about a thousand hours with greatswords only on unite, if you thought the souls series was hardcore you havent seen anything yet.

Comrade, while I agree that the Monster Hunter series is pretty awesome (endless boss fights and flying tails) I have to say that, even with the PSP's messed up camera set up, there is no way MH is harder than the Souls Series. When I got back to playing Unite and Tri, I was dodging EVERYTHING man! Going from a puny stamina bar to nearly limitless stamina (and that's before using the energy drinks!) - made me wonder why I wasn't slaughtering them like that before.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:33 am

both .hack ps2 trilogies, good music and interesting concepts, the monster hunter games (always chasing tail, much like dark souls lol), the soul reaver series, Phantom brave (srpg)
    CaptanSpudsy
    CaptanSpudsy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CaptanSpudsy Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:55 am

I've yet to find an equal to DkS...
    Asides from Half Life 1 & 2, but I've not played as many games as other people.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:36 pm

The battles with other mechs were so fast it was awesome.

Got S on every mission even the one where you have to fight like 5 mech at the same time was one of the hardest battles I've ever had in any game.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:39 pm

GkMrBane wrote:

The battles with other mechs were so fast it was awesome.

Got S on every mission even the one where you have to fight like 5 mech at the same time was one of the hardest battles I've ever had in any game.

I'm still at an A or B on that one. I can consistently beat it, but never got S.

The dialogue in the game is also unmatched. Old Dog said the original "It is what it is."
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Oran_G_Coon wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:Monster Hunter games, i have about a thousand hours with greatswords only on unite, if you thought the souls series was hardcore you havent seen anything yet.

Comrade, while I agree that the Monster Hunter series is pretty awesome (endless boss fights and flying tails) I have to say that, even with the PSP's messed up camera set up, there is no way MH is harder than the Souls Series. When I got back to playing Unite and Tri, I was dodging EVERYTHING man! Going from a puny stamina bar to nearly limitless stamina (and that's before using the energy drinks!) - made me wonder why I wasn't slaughtering them like that before.

yo found it a lot easier because you had played it, can you honoestly tell me that the first time you played it solo it was easier than demon's or dark souls? it took me forever to beat the Monster Hunter mission in unite(tri is easy mode btw) the best one is freedom 2 imo, so damn hard it made me rage pretty much every day on my first play through. i always solo everything then coop since its a lot eaiser to make all the armors and weapons.
    bla
    Regular
    Regular

Post by bla Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Despite the great minimalistic storytelling and rpg aspects, dark souls is, for me, about combat.

In that regard only two games match dark souls in my opinion (not counting demon's)
    Severance blade of darkness (blade the edge of darkness in the US) and Oni.
    Truly enjoyable combat.

Thumbs up for Symphony of the night as well. While trying to get a friend to play dark souls I described it as a mix of SOTN and severance, games we both loved.
    Also, massive balls on the creators of SOTN: actually risking to "hide" half of their great game for the sake of a massive secret ending.
    Respect indeed.
    Just don't forget your goggles when you finally get there happy
    Tomhet
    Tomhet
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tomhet Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:41 am

Soul Reaver series, the gameplay itself is not very evolved but in terms of story it's just as refined as the Souls games.
    Bioraptor
    Bioraptor
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bioraptor Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:05 am

Djem wrote:Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvpcwR7Omdg

The video is uploaded by the guy who originally found the dam too. Respect to that guy for not giving up. The Dark Souls community will probably completely stop searching when the second game is released.
    Haven knows how I missed this one.I played a lot of PS2 games back in the day but never came across this game.More the pitty for me as I have just seen the 13th an 14th and to be honest there is no way I would have figured out how to strip its rock armour to kill it.....but the whole world looked fantastic......
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:37 am

The original Moria and Angband games in the 90s. A thousand different items and effects to memorize, randomly generated dungeons every time, and one save file per character with perma-death. They were turn-based so you had to think about literally every move, because if your resistance potion happened to wear off the turn before a full strength chaos drake decided to blast you, your 50th level paladin was going to turn back into a level 1 pumpkin in a hurry. There was also no cap on mob summons, so if you step through a door just as a death lord summons an archlich, the archlich summons 10 liches, each lich can then summon 10 nether wraiths, each of which can then summon 10 barrow wights, etc, and suddenly your laptop is on the other side of the room. This goes way back, but I think you can still find them online if you really want to lose a year of your life.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:22 am