Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
passivefamiliar
Oh_the_Humanity
User1
Nybbles
Saturday-Saint
raecor14
Shkar
Mr. Tart
Acarnatia
Serious_Much
dragonbeast6
hey its andres
Gyonimizotetsu
17 posters

Are bonfires returning?

Gyonimizotetsu
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Are bonfires returning? Empty Are bonfires returning?

Post by Gyonimizotetsu Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 pm

I don't know if they are, and if no one knows, do you think they are? Or no? I wouldn't think so. If Dark Souls II is the sequel to the Dark Lord ending, then it would be a little weird. I hope something like that returns, instead of some kind of Nexus.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Are bonfires returning? Empty Re: Are bonfires returning?

Post by hey its andres Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:15 pm

I would think so, however, I would think that (I know this makes Dark Souls seem pointless) regardless of what ending you choose the fire goes out. Just think about it eventually someone will not link it or you'll just run out of people. Anyways I would think there would be something similar to bonfire as the character is still an undead. Characters seem to be a focus in this one so maybe they'll replace bonfires somehow?
    dragonbeast6
    dragonbeast6
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dragonbeast6 Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Personally i think it would be weird if the bonfires werent there anymore....bonfires are like the staple of Dark souls...You move through a level, reciving punishing blows and struggle to survive, then suddenly on the distant you see it....sweet salvation..finally i`ll get a breather just have to finish of these few enemies and then I`ll be set. Please dont die.....whoa..that sword was a bit to close........praise the sun!!

I think it will come back
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:34 pm

I hope.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:52 pm

i think bonfires will return, lorewise the undead themselves are connected on quite an intimate level, it is where the spirits of lost undead return to, where estus flasks can be refilled..

I also think that the whole bonfire thing is probably gonna become a common feature in the series, they have an iconic kinda feel really. If I had to pick things that can sum up dark souls and represent it, bonfires would be one of the higher ups on my list.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:03 pm

Even if the bonfires themselves are not present, the same game mechanic will be in reincarnated in some other form.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 pm

Serious_Much wrote:i think bonfires will return, lorewise the undead themselves are connected on quite an intimate level, it is where the spirits of lost undead return to, where estus flasks can be refilled..

I also think that the whole bonfire thing is probably gonna become a common feature in the series, they have an iconic kinda feel really. If I had to pick things that can sum up dark souls and represent it, bonfires would be one of the higher ups on my list.

Bonfires, death, accomplishment, and more death is what I'd say. It's almost unthinkable that they would ditch the mechanic as it's one of the best approaches to a "spawn" system I've ever seen. I was just suggesting that if this takes place a long time after 1, or even if it follows the dark lord ending at all, than the fire may have gone out. I know this may mean little, but in the Dark Souls trailer it makes a point to show you bonfires, but in Dark Souls II it makes a point to show off characters and darkness.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:10 am

Haven't read much lately about Dark Souls 2, so i don't know if it has been confirmed or not, but if it's played on earlier than Dark Souls, then yes, of course they should return, however if not, i don't think so. I do hope they don't return though, for one reason and one reason only: While the series is made up of two games only at the moment, both games have different ways of playing through, and i'd like to see that pattern continue. What i mean by that is that i want something new, something fresh and unique.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:36 am

Mr. Tart wrote:Haven't read much lately about Dark Souls 2, so i don't know if it has been confirmed or not, but if it's played on earlier than Dark Souls, then yes, of course they should return, however if not, i don't think so. I do hope they don't return though, for one reason and one reason only: While the series is made up of two games only at the moment, both games have different ways of playing through, and i'd like to see that pattern continue. What i mean by that is that i want something new, something fresh and unique.

DeS was a different world though, so changing it makes sense. Not as much in this case.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:42 am

well to me firelink is the "nexus" of dark souls
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:26 am

raecor14 wrote:well to me firelink is the "nexus" of dark souls
    Of course. I thought I was the only one who felt this. Characters gather here, both main bosses are under them, and there's the Crestfallen Warrior.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:07 am

Don't forget that they both have handicapped maidens.
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:58 am

Oh yeah. And murderous bastards with Shotels.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:41 am

Here's a pipedream mechanic: create a radial world, you start at the center of it. You explore outward in any direction. "What's this have to do with bonfires," you ask? You're about to find out, so shut up, sit down, and don't interrupt me again.

In this radial world, you find bonfires as you explore outward. But! They have limited uses. When you die, they use up their power to revive you, eventually extinguishing. You can power up your bonfire (The specifics on how this is done isn't a big deal. Reward for doing covenant stuff, feeding it humanity, reward for doing co-op/invasions, whatever.) giving it more charges to revive you with. So as you explore more and gain more humanity, you have more bonfires lit, making it safer to travel around. If you die, and the last bonfire you were at is extinguished, you go to the bonfire you rested at before that. If you keep dying, entire areas of the world can get extinguished, and roaming around in them becomes really dangerous.

Also maybe make it so that it passively powers up based on enemies you kill in the area (in addition to whatever other power-up mechanic it has) so that it's actually a good strategy to kill enemies while going through the level on the way to the boss instead of sprinting past everything after dying, and also so you don't have to constantly spend resources to maintain low-level areas.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:36 pm

That's going to make it TOO hard on new players, besides taking away the only 'safe' spots in the game, which is a really bad idea. A player can become completely unable to continue a playthrough unless they already know what they're doing, it is a nuisance and it is way too gimmicky for Souls.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:27 pm

i like the idea that a bonfire would diminish each time it spits out your broken corpse and then having to use humanity (or equivalent) to re-kindle it. i don't know that it needs to be more complicated than that however.

if this was to come about, i would want to see a return of the Demon's Souls mechanic where you are returned to human form after defeating a boss. to make it less expensive to kindle bonfires and to encourage co-op after a death.

buried deep within each zone there should also be a firekeeper that you can revive to keep at least one bonfire active at all times so that it won't diminish after spitting you out.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:02 pm

The problem with diminishing... Accessibility. Adding this feature makes everything more difficult and for no reason really. It's a good idea, but it could put off new players who get all their bonfires wiped out and because its souls they dunno why or how to correct it
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:Here's a pipedream mechanic: create a radial world, you start at the center of it. You explore outward in any direction. "What's this have to do with bonfires," you ask? You're about to find out, so shut up, sit down, and don't interrupt me again.

In this radial world, you find bonfires as you explore outward. But! They have limited uses. When you die, they use up their power to revive you, eventually extinguishing. You can power up your bonfire (The specifics on how this is done isn't a big deal. Reward for doing covenant stuff, feeding it humanity, reward for doing co-op/invasions, whatever.) giving it more charges to revive you with. So as you explore more and gain more humanity, you have more bonfires lit, making it safer to travel around. If you die, and the last bonfire you were at is extinguished, you go to the bonfire you rested at before that. If you keep dying, entire areas of the world can get extinguished, and roaming around in them becomes really dangerous.

Also maybe make it so that it passively powers up based on enemies you kill in the area (in addition to whatever other power-up mechanic it has) so that it's actually a good strategy to kill enemies while going through the level on the way to the boss instead of sprinting past everything after dying, and also so you don't have to constantly spend resources to maintain low-level areas.
    Your idea of a hardcore, kind of open world Dark Souls... is genius.
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:28 pm

If they're going to extinguish bonfires, then they better give us an assload of humanity.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Nah, they'd probably give us even less humanity lol!
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:47 pm

I know they like difficulty, but they have to make it reasonable.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm only joking silly Actually I would think that they would hate this idea as it would cause players to cling to familiar environments and not go out and get stabbed by psychos in porcelain masks that surprise us when we've wandered to far away from the bonfire.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 pm

If they do have bonfires again, I really hope they let you steal other peoples. I was really disappointed when I found out you couldn't invade someones world kill one of there bonfire keepers and then go back to my world without them being the wiser. So when they return to find it extinguished they would see an item to pick up and it would be an orb to invade my world. I honestly thought that when Lautric did it to me in DkS the game was showing me that I could do it to other players.
    Anyways I think this would be an interesting mechanic to add to DkS2.
    What do you guys think?
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Gyonimizotetsu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gyonimizotetsu Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Oh_the_Humanity wrote:If they do have bonfires again, I really hope they let you steal other peoples. I was really disappointed when I found out you couldn't invade someones world kill one of there bonfire keepers and then go back to my world without them being the wiser. So when they return to find it extinguished they would see an item to pick up and it would be an orb to invade my world. I honestly thought that when Lautric did it to me in DkS the game was showing me that I could do it to other players.
    Anyways I think this would be an interesting mechanic to add to DkS2.
    What do you guys think?
    That sounds... Friggin' genius.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:12 pm

While that sounds awesome, that will make it too difficult on new and less experienced players. This a griefer's dream and a new player's nightmare.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 5:08 pm