Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
HazelrahFiver
Acarnatia
Serious_Much
DE5PA1R
User1
SlakeMoth
Nugget
hey its andres
GrinTwist
Flankydizzle
Johnthethird
15 posters

No bonfires please

Johnthethird
    Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

No bonfires please Empty No bonfires please

Post by Johnthethird Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:07 am

In dark souls 2, you are forever without light. Therefore, you should not have the confort of a bonfire, but instead have some sort of system like in demon souls, or maybe something completely new.
    Flankydizzle
    Flankydizzle
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

No bonfires please Empty Re: No bonfires please

Post by Flankydizzle Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:19 am

Makes summoning a bit of a pain (Eg: I would love to go put my sign down at tomb of giants to help some noobs with Papa Nito, but then I have to go all the way through bonewheels etc and then there is no guarantee that anyone will even summon me... Meh...).

I guess if there were archstones or whatever they're called in Demon's Souls then it wouldn't be tooooo bad...

GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:05 am

I think they got it pretty well with the bonfires as far as mechanics went. As far as design I wouldn't mind seeing some type of ancient runestone as a means to recharge everything you have.
    Johnthethird
    Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Johnthethird Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:26 am

What about an abyss well? A giant pit in the ground with abyss material leaking out. Then warping would make more sence. You would literally swim through the abyss to the new bonfires.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:32 am

Are there even bonfires outside of Lordran? Well it's supposedly set inside of a cavern by the ocean, and the ocean will play a bigger role. Maybe we'll have small ports of some sort?
    Flankydizzle
    Flankydizzle
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Flankydizzle Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:33 am

Isn't it confirmed that there will be ships or horses or something like that?
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:36 am

I haven't heard about ships being "confirmed," nothing ever is, and I have yet to here anything about horses. Maybe this cavern will serve as the hub and you will travel by boat to your destinations. This mechanic could be somewhat similar to Wind Waker in that you travel to islands which are the areas with bosses and demons. I would definitely like to see a water demon (pun intended).
    Nugget
    Nugget
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nugget Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:14 am

I don't know, bonfires are a really iconic part of Dark Souls, but I think no matter what, the bonfire system will return even if by some other name. The bonfire system is incredibly well designed, and I much prefer it to the archstones in Demon Souls.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:17 am

I'm not saying that the mechanic itself should be change, just the delivering of it.

The more I think about it, the more I think that it'd be awesome to sail the seas of the Dark Souls world. :pirat:
    Johnthethird
    Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Johnthethird Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:26 am

What about a mix between the system of arch stones and bonfires? I'd like to see how the archstones worked. I wish I had a PS3
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 am

The more I think about it, the more I think that it'd be awesome to sail the seas of the Dark Souls world. :pirat: [/quote]
    You obviously have not played 'Two Worlds-2'. twisted
    As for the bonfire versus archstone debate. The bonfires made Dark Souls easier to negotiate. Archstones in Demons were pretty thin on the ground.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:32 am

I'm all over the no bonfires idea.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:34 pm

hey its andres wrote:Are there even bonfires outside of Lordran? Well it's supposedly set inside of a cavern by the ocean, and the ocean will play a bigger role. Maybe we'll have small ports of some sort?

A cove is a possible setting the devs may explore.

I'm torn about bonfires. I think they make the game a bit easy, but they're a standout game mechanic.

One of my YT viewers recommended that bonfires must be lit with a torch, which itself needs a source of fire and must be sheltered from rain, water, etc. Which I think is a marvelous idea.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:01 pm

I think they'll continue with the mechanics pf a bonfre, just rename/brand it appropriately to the setting of the world we next inhabit

To be honest, it's hard to decide between one or the other with archstones and bonfires. I'm of course referring the spacing, as having options on the bonfires is good... To be honest I'd like to have a bonfire/archstone hybrid where they're sparce and everything is centred around the main safe zone, but make it so that you can't always warp like bonfires and you still recover magic, health, healing items there.

Anyways I digress, the point originally wanted to make is the simple fact that the archstones were like they were because of the world layout- central hub, linear level based system, and the bonfires like they were also- open, more branched out world, less localised hub for weapons upgrades, magic etc.

I have a feeling however the new world is set out, the new version of archstones bonfires etc will follow to suit the way the world is, which I think will most likely be closer to bonfires than archstones as an open world style game.
    Johnthethird
    Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Johnthethird Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:02 pm

What about gazebos? Little roofed buildings that you can rest under, and then there could be some idol in the center that you can kneel before to level up!

This would also allow different types of resting areas for different areas aka different architecture.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:55 pm

I really, really dislike games that feature Nexus-like zones. Demon's Souls is the only game I've played with one that I still thought was awesome, and I definitely prefer bonfires. I hope they return nearly identical to bonfires aside from whatever exact form the rest zones take. (bonfire, spring, archstone shard, etc.)
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:07 pm

You don't like places with your every need? happy
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:38 pm

No, the centralized nexus/hub that I basically just enter zones/levels from. See Crash Bandicoot, Demons Souls, Bionicle: Heroes, Spyro, many multi-world arcade games. They just take away from the game being an open world, which is what I seek in games. Nexus/hubs are almost always just level and boss-killer games with minimal story. I look for games with very interactive, open worlds.
    Having an area, such as a town, that has most/all of the basics and resources necessary to gear up, stash away and prepare is quite alright with me. It's just when the entire rest of the game is just grinder levels that branch out from it that I usually don't like the game.
    Johnthethird
    Johnthethird
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Johnthethird Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:18 am

WHat about the gazebo Idea? I think it could work. And the gazebos could match the archetecture of the level.
    HazelrahFiver

Post by HazelrahFiver Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:44 am

If we are simply talking about the aesthetics of the bonfires, then I could care less so long as they make sense in the lore. The bonfires fit perfectly in the world if DkS, so I have no complaints.

If we are talking about the different mechanics involved in bonfires and archstones, then it's far more complicated. Part of me definitely thinks the bonfires were a better idea, and that the level setup of DeS was a bit childish, or "old-school."
    However, perhaps the single worst part of DkS is the amount of running around and backtracking you must do. Even if you are an expert at the game it can still eat up a lot of time. In this regard DeS has an edge. Double however, this also increases the chances for invasions in DkS, and I have always suspected that is exactly what they were going for. A smaller feeling world would mean less invasions, which may or may not be a good thing.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:52 am

I like the idea of having no/less bonfires. It will be challenging but that's the nature of this game.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:04 am

I think, as Automancer stated above, that the punishing and challenging aspect of the game would greatly improve if there were no check points. It would help encourage getting by on what supplies you have, all the way through to maybe a shop. It would make the game feel more like you need to conserve more than use carefully.
    BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:55 am

I CALL PINK TEXT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLelelelelelelelleelelele

lelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelelele

I like vonfires, it gives u comfort and a false sense of security imo, cuz seathe will still kick ure butt
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:10 pm

As much as all of us would love less bonfires, they're trying to make the game more accessible next time. There's no way they'll make it harder, we can only really expect the same difficulty or easier (which will feel easy to us as we're so used to souls gameplay now)

I'd like it if you could still be invaded in places you've killed the boss.. There's no actual lore reason for invasions to stop, so I say put it back in! I'm sick and tired of having to NG+ so I can go host in places like sens, blighttown, anor londo etc.
    BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:17 pm

I totally agree, but I liked the bonfire more than the nexus, because hte nexus was like a home.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:09 pm