Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
SpecialNewb
ublug
Argetlam350
Serious_Much
DxV04
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Glutebrah
Myztyrio
Fossil
Animaaal
sinspaw
Frank_White
JumpsU3vs1
mr_no_face
Wilkinson3424
Oh_the_Humanity
Sloth9230
Conrack
DE5PA1R
ChizFreak
Repto
25 posters

Playstation 4 + Dark Souls 2

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Playstation 4 + Dark Souls 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Playstation 4 + Dark Souls 2

Post by Animaaal Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:52 pm

I make these guys look like English teachers when I speak Japanese lol.
    Fossil
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Fossil Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:57 pm

Frank_White wrote:The typo is this

Demon's Souls = Demon is Souls
    Demons' Souls = souls that belong to demons

They screwed it up.

Demon's Souls could still be singular possessive. It's a matter of how you want to view it. You could be reaping a demon's souls many times over, or you could be reaping several demons' souls over the course of the game.

Was that the intention? I have no idea, but technically it's not wrong because it's grammatically ambiguous.

On topic... DkS2 would be awesome for PS4, but most people won't have them at launch so it would still have to be on PS3/360. However DeS2 as an exclusive would be beyond amazing.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:59 pm

He told me to pi$$ off, it's none of my buisness, and his english is fine.
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Fossil wrote:
    Frank_White wrote:The typo is this

Demon's Souls = Demon is Souls
    Demons' Souls = souls that belong to demons

They screwed it up.

Demon's Souls could still be singular possessive. It's a matter of how you want to view it. You could be reaping a demon's souls many times over, or you could be reaping several demons' souls over the course of the game.

Was that the intention? I have no idea, but technically it's not wrong because it's grammatically ambiguous.

On topic... DkS2 would be awesome for PS4, but most people won't have them at launch so it would still have to be on PS3/360. However DeS2 as an exclusive would be beyond amazing.

No, really. In english if any word has that upper dot and s right after, it means "is". Always.
    Demon's = Demon is
    Car's = car is
    And so on
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:04 pm

My Father's bike.
    Fossil
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Fossil Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Animaaal wrote:My Father's bike.

lol exactly. Apostrophe + s does not always mean "is", it could also be singular possessive just like I said. It's grammatically ambiguous.

Who's souls are those? A bunch of demons' souls. I reaped them from many demons along my journey.

Who's souls are those? A demon's souls. I took down a demon and his souls are mine.

What is that demon? That demon's souls. He IS souls.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:49 pm

@Fossil

Good, I thought the apprx 6k I spent on literature in college was a waste! I guess it was anyway, no one spells anymore. :evil:

On topic:

Dark Soul's six will be on ps7.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Fossil wrote:

lol exactly. Apostrophe + s does not always mean "is", it could also be singular possessive just like I said. It's grammatically ambiguous.

Who's souls are those? A bunch of demons' souls. I reaped them from many demons along my journey.

Who's souls are those? A demon's souls. I took down a demon and his souls are mine.

I thought that in those cases it was better to use "whose" (and I don't know what "whom" was exactly)?
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

ChizFreak wrote:
    Fossil wrote:

I thought that in those cases it was better to use "whose" (and I don't know what "whom" was exactly)?

Idk dude. I still say I got drunk instead of drank. The english language is a fickle speak...I also make more sense when I'm drank.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:37 pm

DE5PA1R wrote:I still think Miyazaki is directing Demon's Souls 2 for PS4 and PS Vita.

I would jizz.
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm

Lol yes that is a typo. You are saying "my father is a bike". What you tried to say is "my fathers' bike"
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:15 pm

Fossil wrote:

You are both wrong. It is always an "is" if the dot is before the "s". You are just confused about the location of the dot.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Frank_White wrote:

Lol yes that is a typo. You are saying "my father is a bike". What you tried to say is "my fathers' bike"

I appreciate it....but no...no I'm not. "E" for effort though Point Up
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:21 pm

Frank_White wrote:
    Fossil wrote:

You are both wrong. It is always an "is" if the dot is before the "s". You are just confused about the location of the dot.

I think it's and apostraphe.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:23 pm

Dark Souls 9 for ps10
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:26 pm

Animaaal wrote:
    Frank_White wrote:

I appreciate it....but no...no I'm not. "E" for effort though Point Up

Yes, you are as wrong about this as you can be.
    's = is (always)
    s' = usually for expressing ownership of something
    no dot = usually for plural

You sure like to argue even when you don't know what you're talking about. But look it up and admit your defeat instead of embarrassing yourself.
    I bet you're one of those people who thinks you can say "I must of" when trying to say "I must have"
    Fossil
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Fossil Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:29 pm

ChizFreak wrote:

I think you're right, that was an oversight on my part. As Animaaal said, English is a fickle beast.

Frank_White wrote:

I don't want to turn this into a thing because this whole line of conversation is off-topic, but I am 100% positive that you are wrong.

To say "My fathers' bike" would refer to a bike owned by multiple fathers.

To avoid any more pointless back and forth I will link: http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/nouns-possessive.htm

Or you can Google "possessive grammar" or something of that nature if you don't find that source credible.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Frank_White wrote:...I bet you're one of those people who thinks you can say "I must of" when trying to say "I must have"...

Prolly.

I also say I'm drunk instead of drank. That's besides the point.

I'm not arguiong, only stating grammatical fact. You need to go through...oh about 4-5 more grades (I'm guessing), before stating such non-sense.

Like someone said earlier...it's (it IS) called possessive.

Look up possessive nouns and then come and apologize. If you're man enough. Woman enough, whatever.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:33 pm

And what Fossil said Well What is it
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:36 pm

Hold on, are you talking about american english now? There certainly is differences between that and proper english.
    I suppose it might be like you're saying in US english, even though that would be quite impractical.
    But I can assure you in UK english with proper grammar, it does refer to "is" always.
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:41 pm

Animaaal wrote:
    Frank_White wrote:...I bet you're one of those people who thinks you can say "I must of" when trying to say "I must have"...

Prolly.

I also say I'm drunk instead of drank. That's besides the point.

I'm not arguiong, only stating grammatical fact. You need to go through...oh about 4-5 more grades (I'm guessing), before stating such non-sense.

Like someone said earlier...it's (it IS) called possessive.

Look up possessive nouns and then come and apologize. If you're man enough. Woman enough, whatever.

Only it's you who should be apologizing. I know I'm right about this because that's how it was taught to me in school, and my country has the best schools on this planet so... It's safe to say they didn't screw up, and it's safe to say I'm quite likely more correct than someone who might have gone through an american school (just assuming because of your lack of grammatical understanding).
    Fossil
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Fossil Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:42 pm

No idea about UK english, but yes I've been going by US grammar rules.
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Fossil wrote:No idea about UK english, but yes I've been going by US grammar rules.

Then we're both propably right. I was talking about UK english since that's what they teach in schools everywhere outside of the USA. I believe you though that it's like you say in US english.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:31 am

Maybe you should ask before assuming????

You seem to do that a lot Frank.

I mean quite Frankly, Iz now about proper speekin jus phine sir! silly

I kant speek for tha rest.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:17 am

In the US it's "'s" for singular and just "'" at the end for plural. I actually had an English(UK) Writing professor and while he was very picky in regards to proper writing etiquette and such, he never really cared about apostrophes... unless someone screwed up "its" and "it's" silly

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/apostrophe
    http://www.eng-lang.co.uk/apostrophe_rules.htm

This and this say it's the same for the UK, so I'm not really sure.

Now then... So how about that PS4 guys?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 9:38 pm