Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
SpecialNewb
ublug
Argetlam350
Serious_Much
DxV04
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Glutebrah
Myztyrio
Fossil
Animaaal
sinspaw
Frank_White
JumpsU3vs1
mr_no_face
Wilkinson3424
Oh_the_Humanity
Sloth9230
Conrack
DE5PA1R
ChizFreak
Repto
25 posters

Playstation 4 + Dark Souls 2

mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Playstation 4 + Dark Souls 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Playstation 4 + Dark Souls 2

Post by mr_no_face Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:56 am

AND THUS THIS THREAD IS SHOT STRAIGHT TO HELL
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:05 am

mr_no_face wrote:AND THUS THIS THREAD IS SHOT STRAIGHT TO HELL

Dark Souls 15 will come out in hell frozen over....damn....sounds like fun!..... twisted

Can you go to hell for a litlle bit?!?!?!
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 pm

if dark sols 2 is for PS3 and PS4 is released shortly after that will take a huge chunk out of the online community
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Glutebrah wrote:if dark sols 2 is for PS3 and PS4 is released shortly after that will take a huge chunk out of the online community

But it will also take a huge chunk out of the online community if it's released for PS4 only. Not everyone can be expected to make the switch so quickly.

There are no easy answers.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:54 pm

I suggested DKS 2 for next gen and DLC for DKS current Gen. I can live with that. But I bet what is going to happen is that we will get DKS2 for this gen then they will port it to next gen. Thereby splitting the player pool. I would really just rather have it for next gen.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:00 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:
    Glutebrah wrote:if dark sols 2 is for PS3 and PS4 is released shortly after that will take a huge chunk out of the online community

But it will also take a huge chunk out of the online community if it's released for PS4 only. Not everyone can be expected to make the switch so quickly.

There are no easy answers.

true but in the long run the community will grow and remain consistent on PS4, where has PS3 would give them quick sales and die out fast.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks for coming back to topic lol

Yes, I believe this is true, From Software aren't stupid and I bet they already knew when they announced Dark Souls II that PS4 was coming out closely, that's why I bet Miyazaki's secret project will be something for PS4, when the PS4 launches, DkS II for PS3 will lose population.

From my point of view, it's best to release tthe game for PS4, so they build up a strong community in PS4, just think about it, DkS II one of the first games in PS4, every one that loves RPGs will buy it along with The Witcher 3, they will create a community ready to buy their future products. I believe that From is already doing this but (very likely) with another franchise (King's Field or a new franchise) for PS4, but I want to have a Souls community for PS4 sad
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Maybe the online will be connected between PS3 and PS4 versions, and only difference between them will be graphics. Then PS3 and PS4 players could play with/against each other.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:29 am

...Did someone say PS4 won't be backwards compatible on launch?

So long sony, was good while it lasted, money grubbing assholes.

Anyways I think Miyazaki's new project will be the one on PS4. Miyazaki has become somewhat of a golden goose due to the fact his brainchild series has made so many waves and ruffled a lot of feathers, as well as having the potential to become a real heavy hitter in the gaming world. No doubt they've saddled him with an interesting idea, nice budget and a plethora of creative freedom.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:44 pm

Serious_Much wrote:...Did someone say PS4 won't be backwards compatible on launch?

So long sony, was good while it lasted, money grubbing assholes.

Anyways I think Miyazaki's new project will be the one on PS4. Miyazaki has become somewhat of a golden goose due to the fact his brainchild series has made so many waves and ruffled a lot of feathers, as well as having the potential to become a real heavy hitter in the gaming world. No doubt they've saddled him with an interesting idea, nice budget and a plethora of creative freedom.

It will have retro-compatibility with the PS3 (and others) through streaming (cloud gaming/gaikai), but they didn't said if it was going to be available at launch, we don't know though, maybe it will, but we know that it WILL NOT have standard retrocomp, I mean you won't be able to put PS3 game discs in your PS4 to play. Best advice is: keep your PS3 close and plugged when the PS4 launches, that, until you have enough games to let your PS3 go (*cough* Demon's Souls 2 *cough* ).

They said PSMove will be compatible though, and we know they will be heaviliy supporting PS Vita, so, I bought those 2 some time ago and now I have hope ❤.
    Repto
    Repto
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Repto Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Since this is my thread, I think I should actually post in it.

As Frank_White said, the PS3 and PS4 may be able to connect to each other online, so the community won't be split. It seems like the sensible thing to do.

The new directors have also said about making the game more accessible, so having the game on both the old and new consoles seems like a wise decision to me. I'm not sure when/if I'll get the PS4 (depends on the price) so I'd be happy if it came out in both consoles, giving me freedom to play it no matter what.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:04 pm

So what you're telling me is all old games will have to be purchased in digital form from PS store if I wanna play them on the PS4?

*** you sony, last straw, i'm outta here. It's not about there being enough games on the console to replace old ones, I don't sell games. It's about understanding that old games are irreplaceable. If sony can't realise that, then I'm not giving my money to them on their new console that doesn't give players integral features of any console.
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Argetlam350 Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:08 pm

One reason on not having backwards compatibility is the fact that means they have to put more money into the system in order to make it backwards compatible. That means higher prices we the consumer have to pay. Bear in mind how high the price of PS3 was at launch. Sony wants to compete against Nintendo and Microsoft, they can't compete against those companies when their system costs 100 or 200 dollars more then the other systems. So you have to cut something out that serves no purpose, and quite frankly, the backwards compatibility of the PS3 was something that was only good for about the first two years of the PS3, after that it was rather worthless. What's the point of implementing something into a system that later in the life cycle of the PS4 will be more then likely worthless? They still are a business and they have to think like a business, they can't be the consumers friend all the time.
    Now to get back on topic, really I don't know if Dark Souls 2 will be on PS4. If it is, well it will depend on when the game is released for me to decide if I'll get it for PS3 or PS4 since I won't buy a PS4 right when it comes out. I'll be waiting for that first price drop after a few months of its release.

EDIT:
    Also back on the topic of the PS4 for a second. Watch ENB's latest video on why the social media implementations are begin added. They might not be a big thing in the western countries now but they are big in some other countries right now. You have to aim your system not at one part of the world but the entire world.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Serious_Much wrote:integral features of any console.

Does the N64 allow you to play SNES games? No. Does the Gamecube allow you to play N64 games? No. The Wii was the first Nintendo system that allowed backward compatibility. The Wii U will have some backwards compatibly, but only with some Wii games and no Gamecube games(some will be released digitally.

The X-box 360 also has some backwards compatibility, but not with all X-Box games.

Backwards compatibility does not come naturally, it requires certain software and it has to have the appropriate hardware, both of which would add production costs and would therefore raise the price on the consumers end. So no, backwards compatibility is not an integral feature of any console.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:

Does the N64 allow you to play SNES games? No. Does the Gamecube allow you to play N64 games? No. The Wii was the first Nintendo system that allowed backward compatibility. The Wii U will have some backwards compatibly, but only with some Wii games and no Gamecube games(some will be released digitally.

The X-box 360 also has some backwards compatibility, but not with all X-Box games.

Backwards compatibility does not come naturally, it requires certain software and it has to have the appropriate hardware, both of which would add production costs and would therefore raise the price on the consumers end. So no, backwards compatibility is not an integral feature of any console.

The reason I never jumped ship from Sony as my main console was backwards compatibility.

Frankly the reason that it is intergral is the fact I feel I should get it considering the amount of money I've put into Sony over the years. PS1,2 and 3 all purchased, roughly 100 games and counting. Yet they expect me to buy them all again from the PS Store on the next console if i wanna keep playing them?

I don't know what you think, but however I spin it, the thought doesn't sit well ethically with me.

Argetlam.. Why was backwards compatibility only useful for 2 years? Why would being able to play your old games ever stop being useful? I don't get your logic at all. I have had PS3 since about mid 2007. I still play old games for it (hell I still buy originals of PS2 games off the internet to play on it), so why is this feature 'worthless' in your opinion? It certainly isn't for me.

Overall, at the very least if they employ having to download games off the PS store, you should be able to input the serial numbers of the games you already own and download them for free, since you already bought them. If they can do that, then not having disc compatibility would be acceptable. If not, then I've lost a lot of respect for sony. Trying to squeeze every last penny out of customers who've been faithful for upwards of 10 years is disgraceful.

I honestly don't know how you guys can just sit there and eat **** as easily as you are. They're ripping us all off plain and simple if the game catalogue you've built up over years is made into a clean slate.

Edit: It saddens me when a comment of just opinion without any aggression or malice gets down repped rather than disputed properly.
    Fossil
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Fossil Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm so sick of hearing people ***** about backwards compatibility...

Sony is the one that started BC on consoles and the PS2 is the only console to ever have full BC with the previous generation. Well actually I don't know about the Wii, but Nintendo uses retarded media storage anyways, and DVD drives that don't play DVDs and Blu-ray drives that don't play Blu-rays so they can go *** themself. Historically most consoles do not have it, so I'd hardly consider it an "integral feature."

But really people need to realize Sony is abandoning the cell architecture. Unless you want them to release another $600 console you're not going to get backwards compatibility. And even if you did want that, most consumers including myself do not.

The PSN thing is lame, but again it's related to the cell architecture.
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Argetlam350 Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Well for starters I don't sit around and collect games. Honestly PS2 had really few games that kept me interested so yes the backwards compatibility was worthless to me because when the PS3 came around I only had about perhaps 10 games I actually played and owned. Sorry I don't stockpile games if I know I won't play it ever again, it goes bye-bye.
    Plus if I still own the old system I play on that system rather then shove the disk into a new system and throw my old system away. They aren't forcing you to do anything. If you take care of your old systems there is no point for backwards compatibility.
    I buy a new console for new games, not for replaying my old games that I can play on my older systems that I've taken care of nicely.
    Really to me your logic makes no sense. You say that you have to rebuy all your games again on PS4 yet they are not forcing you to do that. You can keep the old system those games are made for and play them on those systems. So how are they forcing you to rebuy the games?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:30 pm

I call it integral because it's a reason that the PS3 was preferable to me than the xbox 360. It's the same concept as the Wii using motion control. It was an extra USP that made it stand out from the other two consoles.

I weight it up based on how much money it costs to have the compatibility (PS4 should play PS3 anyways as it's still bluray, so if it doesn't that REALLY is just grubbing money), compared to how much it would cost to get all my games on PSN. I'd pay upwards of £300 (thats about $450-500) to get only the games on PS1+2 I still play on PSN, therefore to me it is important.

I admit I have no idea about how many want backwards compatibility, but the money Sony would make from people not jumping ship due to the compatibility could be worth putting it in. We simply don't know unfortunately.

Argetlam, the fact is old consoles break, or they get moved on by selling them (eg to make money for getting the new console), or given to charity. I feel really that due to this, most people won't have their old consoles to use, and getting another after it's stopped being produced couple years down the line can be difficult. Of course they're not forcing me, but I'm saying it probably would cost me money. I have games I really enjoy and replay once every year or two, I certain would buy them again, or they can put in backwards compatibility. I admit to you though that it's totally based on preference, I play a lot of old games, but you don't I get it. As a result sadly this discussion can only go in circles.

Anyways, I've said what I wanted to here and made my stake for compatibility. This discussion won't ever end as we won't budge our beliefs so yeah. Adieus.
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Argetlam350 Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Fine I guess we agree to disagree. End of discussion.
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:

Does the PS2 let you play ALL PS1 games? Yes.
    Nuff said.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:58 pm

I doubt the ps4 will be backwards compatible. They'll just sell the stuff on the psn.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:42 am

Frank_White wrote:
    Sloth9230 wrote:

Does the PS2 let you play ALL PS1 games? Yes.
    Nuff said.

PS1 games are simple, it's Ps2 games that have always been a problem. They all require the Emotion Engine CPU chip in order to play. I'm actually not sure what the problem would be with the PS4 since I assume they still plan to use blue ray discs, and so should still be compatible with PS3 games :?:

My point was just that BC is not an integral feature of any console.

Edit: Not even sure who's side you were taking actually silly
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:20 pm

ChizFreak wrote:Yes, I believe this is true, From Software aren't stupid and I bet they already knew when they announced Dark Souls II that PS4 was coming out closely, that's why I bet Miyazaki's secret project will be something for PS4, when the PS4 launches, DkS II for PS3 will lose population.
    Miyazaki tweeted this a few hours ago:
    Playstation 4
    Most of his other tweets are darks souls related, so draw your own conclusions :?:
    https://twitter.com/hidetakamiyazak
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:55 pm

ublug wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:Yes, I believe this is true, From Software aren't stupid and I bet they already knew when they announced Dark Souls II that PS4 was coming out closely, that's why I bet Miyazaki's secret project will be something for PS4, when the PS4 launches, DkS II for PS3 will lose population.
    Miyazaki tweeted this a few hours ago:
    Playstation 4
    Most of his other tweets are darks souls related, so draw your own conclusions :?:
    https://twitter.com/hidetakamiyazak

OMFG THE MASTER TROLL! HE WILL NEVER STOP TEASING US!
    sinspaw
    sinspaw
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinspaw Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Sloth9230 wrote:

The reason I never jumped ship from Sony as my main console was backwards compatibility.

Frankly the reason that it is intergral is the fact I feel I should get it considering the amount of money I've put into Sony over the years. PS1,2 and 3 all purchased, roughly 100 games and counting. Yet they expect me to buy them all again from the PS Store on the next console if i wanna keep playing them?

I don't know what you think, but however I spin it, the thought doesn't sit well ethically with me.

Argetlam.. Why was backwards compatibility only useful for 2 years? Why would being able to play your old games ever stop being useful? I don't get your logic at all. I have had PS3 since about mid 2007. I still play old games for it (hell I still buy originals of PS2 games off the internet to play on it), so why is this feature 'worthless' in your opinion? It certainly isn't for me.

Overall, at the very least if they employ having to download games off the PS store, you should be able to input the serial numbers of the games you already own and download them for free, since you already bought them. If they can do that, then not having disc compatibility would be acceptable. If not, then I've lost a lot of respect for sony. Trying to squeeze every last penny out of customers who've been faithful for upwards of 10 years is disgraceful.

I honestly don't know how you guys can just sit there and eat **** as easily as you are. They're ripping us all off plain and simple if the game catalogue you've built up over years is made into a clean slate.

Edit: It saddens me when a comment of just opinion without any aggression or malice gets down repped rather than disputed properly.

I don't want to start no fight or anything, but I really got ask... why don't you simply connect the ps3 back when you want to play on ps3 games? Seriously man, whilst I do understand your points, you gotta realize you are asking for something that is not only costly, but has relative use global-wise. All you seem to need to do is just connect the console you want onto the TV as you did before and play them. How is this that big of a deal?

On topic. I had predicted before and I still think so now -- DkS2 will be on PS4. It might just run a little smoother than on ps3, which I also think they will release on, but yes I do think it will be on PS4 to begin with. Probably a good way to test that new engine of theirs too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 5:46 am