Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
swordiris
Slarg232
PlasticandRage
Sevans
steveswede
nsane32
IIdoneus
NPCWhiteMage
Seignar
User1
Warrior_J
RANT
GrinTwist
Serious_Much
Carphil
BeeSeaEss
Reaperfan
21 posters

Fighting Game General

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Fighting Game General - Page 2 Empty Re: Fighting Game General

Post by Serious_Much Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:25 am

Yeah, I noted darkstalkers was pretty much the inspiration for bloody roar (though the series is now defunct, I guess the golden age of beat em ups is over, huh)

The era in which beat em ups really thrived the most was the PS1 era, wasn't it? so so many different games, now you can barely name 5..

MK, Tekken, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, marvel v capcom... is king of fighters defunct now? cant remember (you can tell I don't really class smash bros a traditional fighting game, it's unique in itself really)
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:49 am

Serious_Much wrote:The era in which beat em ups really thrived the most was the PS1 era, wasn't it? so so many different games, now you can barely name 5..

No it was earlier in the 16 bit era, both arcade and home console.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 am

so it was the 4th generation before it? huh, well i'm not old enough to have played that era of console sadly, but oh well silly
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:58 am

I would say 1994-1995 was it's peak. We had SSFII and MK2 on console (these two were the equivalent of Mario vs Sonic of Beat'em'ups), Killer Instinct and MK3 in arcade, SNK fighters like Fatal Fury and Samurai Showdown, X-Men COTA,Virtua Fighter. Yeah it was around the release of the Playstation but as you know console generations merge rather than straight up swap over and this was the time the 16 era was in full swing.

I sound like a right old git taking about my favorite era of gaming this far back. I bet some members here weren't even born yet.
    IIdoneus
    IIdoneus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Here but there. In all places, yet only a few locations.

Post by IIdoneus Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Yeah, I noted darkstalkers was pretty much the inspiration for bloody roar (though the series is now defunct, I guess the golden age of beat em ups is over, huh)

The era in which beat em ups really thrived the most was the PS1 era, wasn't it? so so many different games, now you can barely name 5..

MK, Tekken, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, marvel v capcom... is king of fighters defunct now? cant remember (you can tell I don't really class smash bros a traditional fighting game, it's unique in itself really)

King of Fighters is pretty defunct on the console scene, but with respect to mobile gameing on handhelds, android, and iOS, it actually ranks with streetfighter as one of the more popular franchises.
    Sevans
    Sevans
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Sevans Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:58 am

See Avatar.

My favorite game genre because of the sheer amount of depth they offer.

Anyone play MvC2 or MvC Origins on PSN?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Carphil wrote:The King of Fighters

I thought I was the only person on Earth who still played King of Fighters. I love the series. I think my favorites are 96-01. Whose you're team? I play mostly Iori, Choi, and Joe Higashi.

I've also been playing Street Fighter since Championship Edition had lines 10 people deep in arcades. Love those games. The classics anyway. I never got into any of the ones past the Alpha series. Tekken too.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:17 pm

I would say that Street Fighter Alpha 3 is the best Street Fighter in the series. I haven't seen any other Street Fighter that tops it.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:18 pm

steveswede wrote:I would say that Street Fighter Alpha 3 is the best Street Fighter in the series. I haven't seen any other Street Fighter that tops it.

I grew up on the Street Fighter 2 era, which pretty much pinnacled at Super Street Fighter 2 before the formula really changed, so that'll always be favorite. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of sitting in my pajamas on the living room floor playing my brother for hours and hours.

On a side note, any of you guys ever see the game Street Fighter: the Movie. Worst Street Fighter game ever. Possibly even worst game ever. They tried to do the whole Mortal Kombat thing, and cast actors for the character sprites, and it just didn't work at all

Here, check it out:

If you're wondering what that ridiculous sound is in the beginning, that's the sound the game makes when you put quarters in. So funny
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:25 pm

bushido blade, so underrated in the states, they even stopped publishing them here, too bad.
    Sevans
    Sevans
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Sevans Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:31 pm

steveswede wrote:I would say that Street Fighter Alpha 3 is the best Street Fighter in the series. I haven't seen any other Street Fighter that tops it.

It is absolutely the best SF series game!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Sevans wrote:

It is absolutely the best SF series game!

Alpha 3 was fun as hell...

In fact thats the first street fighter i owned!
    Sevans
    Sevans
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Sevans Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Charlie/Nash ftw.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:59 am

So I've tried to learn a character who relies on links for the first time ever. Spend a few hours in training mode until you can time it right pretty consistently and combo afterwards, then think to yourself "I got this. Maybe not perfect but I'll try it out in a real match."

Minus half my online Battle Points later I've not pulled it off once in a real match. HOW DO PROS DO LINKS ALL THE TIME?!?!?!
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:10 am

Seriously, none of you guys have ever played Skullgirls?

https://youtu.be/W1u038WaRX8

One of the best, quirkiest fighters I've played in a long time. Tis a shame that they no longer havea publisher and are now Kickstarting additional characters, though sad
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:45 am

Slarg232 wrote:Seriously, none of you guys have ever played Skullgirls?

https://youtu.be/W1u038WaRX8

One of the best, quirkiest fighters I've played in a long time. Tis a shame that they no longer havea publisher and are now Kickstarting additional characters, though sad

Never actually played it, but it does look fun. I find I tend to enjoy the 2.5D fighters most though :|

As for the Kickstarter thing, I'd heard of that and it is a shame. Though I've heard that they made it so that if they make enough money through their campaign, Labzero will allow Mane6 to use their Skullgirls engine for the revamp of Fighting is Magic. I wish I wasn't poor, because I'd like both of those things to be better supported :|
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:28 am

Didn't hear that about the Mane6 being able to use their engine, that's awesome. Will have to put more money into it.
    Hoping the last character is Black Dahlia, myself.
    Sevans
    Sevans
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Sevans Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Reaperfan wrote:So I've tried to learn a character who relies on links for the first time ever. Spend a few hours in training mode until you can time it right pretty consistently and combo afterwards, then think to yourself "I got this. Maybe not perfect but I'll try it out in a real match."

Minus half my online Battle Points later I've not pulled it off once in a real match. HOW DO PROS DO LINKS ALL THE TIME?!?!?!

More practice.

To really learn links in matches you should force yourself to try them in casuals. I half think you develop the muscle memory out of necessity. lol

For tight links in games like SF4, learn how to Plink (or p-link.) Basically, it's hitting one button directly after your desired button so that the game registers the desired button for one extra frame.

Example:

I'm trying to link Vega's C.MP from his S.HP (Close.) If I hit C.MP then ALMOST simultaneously hit either LP or LK then it tricks the game into thinking that the C.MP was pressed for two consecutive frames.

The main stipulation for being able to Plink something is that the second input cannot out-prioritize the first.

Priority is in descending order: (At least for SF4)
    Taunt, Focus, Throw, HK, HP, MK, MP, LK, LP.

So you can Plink everything but LP.

Short on time, maybe I'll add more later if you're interested!

swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:18 pm

Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend is my favorite fighter of all time.

If anyone wants to play my Rachel add Amadeous313 on PSN.

I also play Mortal Kombat, Guilty Gear XX accent Core, KoF13, and Persona 4 Arena.

I'm far better at Blazblue than the others though.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:27 am

Sevans wrote:
    Reaperfan wrote:So I've tried to learn a character who relies on links for the first time ever. Spend a few hours in training mode until you can time it right pretty consistently and combo afterwards, then think to yourself "I got this. Maybe not perfect but I'll try it out in a real match."

More practice.

To really learn links in matches you should force yourself to try them in casuals. I half think you develop the muscle memory out of necessity. lol

For tight links in games like SF4, learn how to Plink (or p-link.) Basically, it's hitting one button directly after your desired button so that the game registers the desired button for one extra frame.

Example:

I'm trying to link Vega's C.MP from his S.HP (Close.) If I hit C.MP then ALMOST simultaneously hit either LP or LK then it tricks the game into thinking that the C.MP was pressed for two consecutive frames.

The main stipulation for being able to Plink something is that the second input cannot out-prioritize the first.

Priority is in descending order: (At least for SF4)
    Taunt, Focus, Throw, HK, HP, MK, MP, LK, LP.

So you can Plink everything but LP.

Short on time, maybe I'll add more later if you're interested!

Hmm...I've never really known what exactly plinking is, but I think I'll try it out, thanks happy

I just hope adding additional button presses in doesn't screw with my timing on the followup special moves. Specifically, I'm trying to learn Bob in SFxT, working on his BnB of crLP xx crHP > Special Step > Langue Washer (did I use the proper format there? I'm pretty sure it's xx for links and > for cancels, yes?). I find that because of the way his Special Step works into its followups (following the initial dp+k motion with a punch), I'll end up missing the timing after the crHP and it won't seem to read the kick input and only read the punch followup, resulting in him not doing the Special Step and instead doing his Cracker move which causes me to drop the combo short and lose out on alot of damage. Is this just me being bad at timing the input command for the Special Step cancel, a problem with overlapping inputs, or both?
    Sevans
    Sevans
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Sevans Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:26 pm

When I first tried plinking in matches, the extra inputs did kind of mess with me, but they didn't take too long to get used to. Think of them like kara throws, if you are familiar with that technique.

That sounds like a timing issue. Try slowing yourself down a bit; It can work wonders when practicing combos. I know that occasionally due to the nature of fighting games and special cancels, etc., it feels like doing everything very quickly is the best solution, but that can sometimes lead to more problems.

Also, the format really just depends on the person. I use commas for links and xx for cancels.

J.HP, CS.HP, C.MP xx EX Flying Barcelona, Izuna Drop

Something like that! Do whatever you want, there really isn't a proper format.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:48 pm

Holy necro, Batman!

I want to ask a simple question with this attempted revival:

Does this predicament apply to you?:

Because it certainly does for me, and it's annoying not having anyone to play with.  So let's fix that with the power of online matches and friends lists happy
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:39 pm

What fighting games do you own and for what platforms? Seems like a decent starting point.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:59 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:What fighting games do you own and for what platforms? Seems like a decent starting point.
    Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (PS3)
    Blazblue: Calamity Trigger and Blazblue: Contiuum Shift (PS3)
    Street Fighter x Tekken (PS3)
    Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)

And while they aren't mine, I have access via roommates' stuff to:

Injustice: Gods Among Us (360)
    Marvel vs Capcom 2 (360/XBLA)
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (360)
    Darkstalkers: Ressurection (360/XBLA (not actually sure if this one has online or not))

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My favorites right now are Street Fighter IV and SFxT.  I've also not practiced at all with Injustice, the MvC games, or Darkstalkers since they aren't mine, so I can't really say "the dilemma" applies to me on those games (though I will still participate in matches if we get a mini-community going winking).
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:29 am

Whose ur main in AE and bbcse

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:47 pm