Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Serious_Much
Forum Pirate
DE5PA1R
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
IV_Mark_VI
9 posters

Better multiplayer options

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Better multiplayer options Empty Better multiplayer options

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:41 pm

One of the only reasons I play dark souls is the multiplayer aspect; not just fighting other players, but I'm enjoying playing the game through as a SL40 character. No matter if you're low level, or high level, there's areas of the game where it's just hard to find other people to share your journey. I really hope they fix this. People say it makes it too easy, but it makes it less annoying. Many times I've wanted to multiplayer with friends, and finding their summoning sign is just... so damn annoying.

For myself, if there is no support to summon people you want (perhaps a specific covenant that you can link up with? Like a Way of White that worked really well?) I will not be purchasing the next game. Dark souls is great, but I would rather play a game that I can play with friends, easily.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Better multiplayer options Empty Re: Better multiplayer options

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Well, you can meet up with friends and, with enough patience, you can play through a whole game with an intended summon. I don't see them making too many changes (except for maybe dedicated servers) to make it easier to join up with a buddy.

Dark Souls is supposed to be a lonely journey, and I think they'll keep it that way. Now, it's possible that they move away from that isolation/loneliness concept and go a different thematical route, in which case, all bets are off.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 pm

The time it takes to summon is off putting; enough that it makes me not want to purchase the next installment. If they do not, and it`s the choice for the rest of the community, that`s fine, but I`ll purchase something that supports me playing with friends, and not alone.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:55 am

Those aren't objectively better options; they're just different.

Easily summoning friends is contrary to the Souls games' tone.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:55 am

So being able to do it isn't the problem, but doing it easily/waiting around a lot is?

That doesn't make sense. Doing it seamlessly into the game to not break the games reality is the tone. What is the reason for making people wait so long to summon a specific person?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 am

As far as the main game goes, the tone is desperation and loneliness. You take what you can get, not whatever you'd like.

Being able to reliably and easily summon friends would detract from that.

You are alone. You have no friends. If you're lucky you get kind strangers, if you're not so lucky you get hostile strangers. You scavenge and scrape for every item, every level, every bit of strength to tackle the next challenge.

By your logic, why not have every enemy drop 2 billion souls and 99 of every upgrade material. Its seamlessly and easily leveling, to avoid it taking so long, so why not? Because (asside from making the game horribly easy, not unlike co-op) it would wreck the tone.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:26 am

Yeah, that's my logic exactly, and that's totally not a strawman argument Pirate silly
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:36 am

No its not. I'm simply applying your logic to alternate, but parallel situations with similar impacts on game play.

If it's not valid there, its not valid here.

Unless you can provide a reason (relivant to the situations) why said parallel is inexact, your logic is self defeating.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 am

That is exactly a straw man argument.

Summoning a friend for coop and having god mode/2 billion souls/instawin button are not the same.

Summoning a friend makes the game easier. Upgrading your weapon from +0 to +1 makes the game easier. Having 99 humanity and 2 billion souls per enemy killed makes it easier. Having a hack for unlimited health makes it easier.

Saying they are all equivalent because they make the game easier is ridiculous.

Being able to reliably summon friends would make this a game I could play with friends, which is what I'd want to do. I hardly have any time to play anymore, and I'd rather spend it socializing and playing a game I enjoy. Having to waste unnecessary time just to coop with a particular person is a bad position to take. I would take the position that most people want to play with friends; I see it all the time in other games, and I do it myself all the time.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:45 am

Notice I made a point of excluding "makes the game easier" with the word "asside"

The problem is it would wreck the lonely, desperate tone. Its not "grab your palls and murder **** while you bs about things."

Thus my point stands. What you want degrades the very essence of what a souls game is. Somewhere else it would be fine, but not here.

You can't honestly say "most people" anything without all kinds of backup numbers I'm positive you don't have and expect to be taken seriously do you?

It might be more fun, for you, to do so, but it would come at the cost of the atmosphere that defines a large part of the PvE experience, especially in the first few playthrough.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Pirate is correct. The game is about loneliness, desperation and the struggle to survive.

Being able to easily summon someone you know would describe the problem succinctly, yes.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:22 pm

I disagree, entirely.

There are mods on this site, that admittedly play the game with the wiki open beside them, on their first playthrough. Where to go, what to do, what items to get, how to level up... the game isn't hard, if you have this knowledge. What was hard is figuring out these things. Once you know them, the game is a breeze.

I've also encountered a bunch of people that watch walkthroughs before even playing the game; they know what's coming before it comes. These are all things that make the game less lonely and way easier.

I don't buy this argument, at all. If you want to have loneliness, have it and don't use it. But this would work for people that want to PvP as well.

I don't want to judge pirate, but I can't help it. Is English your first language?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Personally, I think you can have both the option to summon specific friends without it impacting the integrity of the game..

If you're summoning, you're summoning- to me being able to summon your friends through a covenant isn't a bad thing since you'd be getting that help anyway.

Just having the option doesn't really ruin the loneliness to me- you still can only communicate through gestures mainly, they're still a phantom, your companionship fleeting and temporary..

However, this ability- I don't think it should be something that makes the whole process easier, just maybe something that excludes your sign from anyone except friends, and also makes only friend's signs show up? To make it a nice double edged sword I think this could also be a permanent effect.

Obviously that example is very raw idea but a way that specific friend summoning could be improved and implemented quite easily
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Honestly, this will be a make or break for me. If I can't play with friends, easily, then I will not play at all. I'll play something else, a game that sucks like Borderlands 2, but at least we can all talk and play together.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:12 pm

wow,wow,wow... slow down there, borderlands for me is the one saving grace of the FPS genre :|
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Well obviously it's my opinion; I would have enjoyed it more if it was difficult, but I found it so easy... would have been better if the difficulty could be ramped up (even after beating the game it's easy). Maybe I played too many shooters in my youth... Call of Duty gets knocked but there's quite a bit of strategy and psychology in that game (or can be).
    CarverUpqik
    CarverUpqik
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CarverUpqik Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:13 pm

idk if anyones said this already but they have said themselves (the creators) that they are making the multiplayer better so its a good bet that co-op will be much easier in DkS2
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:51 pm

What do you mean by 'better'?
    CarverUpqik
    CarverUpqik
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CarverUpqik Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:52 pm

idk i just know they said they are making the multiplayer aspect of the game easier and better
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:57 pm

CarverUpqik wrote:idk i just know they said they are making the multiplayer aspect of the game easier and better

Links or didnt happen silly

Seriously though, easier?
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:03 pm

How can they nerf other, human beings skills?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:12 pm

I think he meant access silly

Seriously though, if they don't get rid of the arena next game I'll abdicate PvP. It ruins the whole point of the invasion thing :|
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:57 am

First off, if people want to degrade the intended experience with walkthroughs there's no way to stop them. That doesn't mean it should be enabled by the devs too.

Second, Is english my first language? Are you ******* kidding me? **** off mother ******. Congratulations, you're the first forum member to offend me. I'm done dealing with you, go to hell.
    CarverUpqik
    CarverUpqik
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CarverUpqik Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:20 am

yea by "easier" i meant easier to summon and such. they werent very specific on how though
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:34 am

didn't read the whole feed so sorry if this is already here but I think there should be auto viewing of friends list signs and cross world summoning should be implemented some how maybe a calling stone that summons anyone who uses a certain ring or an item that opens them to being summoned cross the world or maybe a magic"" book you enlist your name in if you want to get summoned and then some one can read and call upon you

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:39 am