Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
mr_no_face
Oh_the_Humanity
DE5PA1R
Onion Knight
sinspaw
passivefamiliar
Saturday-Saint
Dibsville
DemonOfFate
steveswede
Tchuwib
Myztyrio
eminusx
Serious_Much
vegan666
GaryBlevins
Emergence
Johnthethird
Animaaal
User1
Zeta Prime
25 posters

Mic Support Poll

Poll

Would you enjoy Mic Support in Dark Soul

[ 14 ]
    Mic Support Poll - Page 2 I_vote_lcap25%Mic Support Poll - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [25%] 
    [ 43 ]
    Mic Support Poll - Page 2 I_vote_lcap75%Mic Support Poll - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [75%] 

Total Votes: 57
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Mic Support Poll - Page 2 Empty Re: Mic Support Poll

Post by mr_no_face Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Not for those who don't use mics Dx gosh I guess no one understands where i am coming from
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:24 pm

mr_no_face wrote:I honestly cannot comprehend how this is a bad idea x(!! If it's done like Killzone 2( the closer you are the better you can hear and the further away the less) then it would be flawless when paired with an option to turn it off and on.

Edit* you can play the game with it turned off completely and there could be a * can you hear me * gesture and you can respond with a gesture. I just enjoy the option ya know? I don't see this being completely unreasonable or game breaking.

Again, completely disagree. Part of what makes the DS series so compelling is that you feel alone and isolated, then you have these moments where you get to interact briefly with players, but only on the most basic level. Communication stripped down to the basics. This is a core part of what makes DS so special to me. Its mysterious, its lonely, and it fits with and contributes to the overall feel and magic of the game.

The last thing I want is the atmosphere being broken by some loud mouthed kid yelling down his mic. Actually would kill the game for me somewhat.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:40 pm

THAT'S WHY THERE IS A MUTE BUTTON >.<
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:44 pm

mr_no_face wrote:THAT'S WHY THERE IS A MUTE BUTTON >.<

Its not the same. Dark Souls is not a "social" game, and I don't want it to become one. It will be to the detriment of what makes DS so special. 99% of games have voice chat, go play those if you need to speak to your friends.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:38 pm

none of them are Dark Souls Dx lol but how is it not a social game it has a very large online community the pvp and co op is very unique and brilliant. I just believe its unfair that xbox players can do private chats but ps3 users can't so why not just put it in the game. I believe it could bring the community closer together with quicker communication when it comes to trading and what not
    Tchuwib
    Tchuwib
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tchuwib Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:45 pm

No, a 100 time no. You can't have mic in this game. Sure you can use it for those co-op session with friend and such, but the core of the game would be ruin on so many level.

1)The lore of darksoul is that warrior from other realm can meet in each other world. So it make sense that you can't communicate. It's like you being jump in India but you have to fight a common threat with someone you can't communicate with. So you do the basic language of sign.

2) It give to much advantage to the host and his ghost during an invasion. In demon soul I've played the co-op with a friend without mic and didn't with darksouls. It was a way different experience during invasion. In DeS we made code of gesture to tell what to do. Like mash raise sheild to say fallow me right away. In DaS you just tell your friend to go around him, first one to pop a BS win. The lack of communication and strategies is the only chance invader have.

3) I would end up screaming at most of the people that summon me most the time. When you get newbie that roam around trying to experience the game and you just get annoy. And even there, you would ruin his game. "Oh, just go there and there, you'll get this and this and oh yeah, the boss, just go there and use arrow.". Could you imagine playing your first playthrough of the DS series with someone telling you everything you should do. That cut away from the experience of the game.

4) I don't want to hear what trolling invader have to say. Being call name and raising my pressure is one reason I don't touch online shooter game anymore. That's not nice in a long period of time.

Anyway, I could go on in so many direction, but DS is made around the lack of communication and it's actually a rare blessing that make it what it is. There a lot of core item in this game that need to never change. That's why the combat mechanic is going to be the same with a bit of more improvement, but you don't see them removing the stamina bar so you can smash away infinite time. Same go for the communication. I can't wait to play this game happy
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:47 pm

mr_no_face wrote:none of them are Dark Souls Dx lol but how is it not a social game it has a very large online community the pvp and co op is very unique and brilliant. I just believe its unfair that xbox players can do private chats but ps3 users can't so why not just put it in the game. I believe it could bring the community closer together with quicker communication when it comes to trading and what not

I should have clarified, the social aspects of Dark Souls are VERY unique. You are playing together but playing alone. I have never used private chat as again, it would completely decimate the vibe that makes Dark Souls special. I just don't really understand why people would want to do that. You have to work for communication through signs and gestures, just like you have to work for the lore and story, and to progress in the game. Nothing should be simple and made easy. I am just vehemently opposed to the idea.
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:49 pm

Tchuwib wrote:"Oh, just go there and there, you'll get this and this and oh yeah, the boss, just go there and use arrow.". Could you imagine playing your first playthrough of the DS series with someone telling you everything you should do. That cut away from the experience of the game.

I don't want to hear what trolling invader have to say.

AMEN!
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:32 pm

I dont think you should be able to hear a hostile players talk but i think this would be great for the co-op.. we can't just treat the soul series like its an isolated game because its not. you are meant to play and journey with other people, so why not intergrate a mic system? it benefits the people who wanna talk and the people who dont want to dont have to. the soul series is prolly going to undergoe some changes because its gotten way more popular than they thought it would be. A mic may seem like an un "souls" like addition to the game but i think it's a bit silly to treat all souls games the same. We know there will be more so why not try the mic for this one? if it doesnt work scrap it.. personally id be happy to talk to lonely travellers and friends.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 am

Poliwrath wrote: we can't just treat the soul series like its an isolated game because its not. you are meant to play and journey with other people.

What?
    The Souls series isn't like ANY other game. Thats why it's so f*cking amazing. It is an isolated game. (whatever that means) I take it as a unique game that breaks barriers in the gaming world while bringing back some of the old school game mechanics that we all miss.

"you are meant to play and journey with other people"

yes, you are but in the way the lore intends you to.
    This is were the word "isolated" fits
    In the Souls series your supposed to feel hopeless and alone.
    Having your buddy around talking to you making you feel at home is exactly the opposite of what From is trying to give us in the Souls experience.
    If you had your friend with you the first time you entered Blighttown, it would have been a completely different experience for you.
    Instead of a tense lonely feeling you would have cracked some jokes at the way the enemies looked or not payed as much attention because your talking about what you did last week, which ruins what the Souls series is.
    So NO. absolutely not. Horrible idea that goes against what From wants us to experience when we play there game.
    I hope this helps the people that really want mics to become part of a Souls game to realize that, even if they don't like it, that mics are just not right in a Souls game.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:20 am

Poliwrath wrote:we can't just treat the soul series like its an isolated game because its not. you are meant to play and journey with other people

If the multiplayer element was removed or the servers go down, the game would still run exactly as it was intended. Multiplayer while innovate and fantastic at the same time, is still an afterthought to the main game. The soul series is not dependent in anyway to it just by the single player campaign alone and proves it even further with the fact you can summon CPU characters to aid you instead of human players. The Soul's games are not like RE5 or DS3 which are meant to be experienced with others and I'm so glad they're not because there's nothing better in a dungeon crawler than the feeling of isolation and desperation and you only get that while playing alone.
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:26 am

Oh_the_Humanity wrote:
    Poliwrath wrote: we can't just treat the soul series like its an isolated game because its not. you are meant to play and journey with other people.

What?
    The Souls series isn't like ANY other game. Thats why it's so f*cking amazing. It is an isolated game. (whatever that means) I take it as a unique game that breaks barriers in the gaming world while bringing back some of the old school game mechanics that we all miss.

"you are meant to play and journey with other people"

yes, you are but in the way the lore intends you to.
    This is were the word "isolated" fits
    In the Souls series your supposed to feel hopeless and alone.
    Having your buddy around talking to you making you feel at home is exactly the opposite of what From is trying to give us in the Souls experience.
    If you had your friend with you the first time you entered Blighttown, it would have been a completely different experience for you.
    Instead of a tense lonely feeling you would have cracked some jokes at the way the enemies looked or not payed as much attention because your talking about what you did last week, which ruins what the Souls series is.
    So NO. absolutely not. Horrible idea that goes against what From wants us to experience when we play there game.
    I hope this helps the people that really want mics to become part of a Souls game to realize that, even if they don't like it, that mics are just not right in a Souls game.

This absolutely nails it. Couldn't agree more.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:34 am

Hm....I don't know about this one. I mean really. The fact that you can't communicate with other players verbally seems more like part of the design than something that is lacking. Phantoms are phantoms. You are basically teaming up with corporeal spirits, if my understanding is correct. The need to use gestures doesn't seem to be some afterthought that was meant to "fix" anything. It appears to have been part of the design.

Secondly, as was already mentioned, increasing cooperation and communication takes away from the feeling of isolation and desperation. That is MOST DEFINITELY part of the design.

Thirdly, another part of the design is the random types of people you will encounter, which randomizes the experience, thus making it less predictable. One moment, you may be fighting alongside a powerful mage, another moment a bad *** knight with a giant axe, and the next a ninja flipping backstabbing thief. This has actually been one of my favorite features in the game. You never know what you will be fighting against, or what you will be fighting alongside. I've seen some awesome builds and skills. Increasing coop features will diminish that, because it will encourage more people to just buddy up with their buddies, and nobody else, and then they will steamroll the competition because they can talk each other through it.

I'm not convinced of this yet...
    eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by eminusx Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am

[quote="vegan666"]
    Oh_the_Humanity wrote:
    Poliwrath wrote:

all of this

This absolutely nails it. Couldn't agree more.

staunchly agree with you chaps.

The other interesting thing about souls, is that you have no idea who is helping you out, or who is invading, the mystery that surrounds who is on the other side of the screen only makes their onscreen character more powerful, its the only thing you have to believe in and there's more of a connection because of the lack of communication.

When you summon someone and they appear, no words need to be spoken, its just the mutual understanding that youre both risking your lives for the greater good, sun bros.
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:40 am

When you summon someone and they appear, no words need to be spoken, its just the mutual understanding that youre both risking your lives for the greater good, sun bros.

Haha! Yes!  Mic Support Poll - Page 2 639795459 Mic Support Poll - Page 2 639795459 Mic Support Poll - Page 2 639795459
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:52 am

WELL I FU CK IN GIVE UP Dx!!!!!!!!
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Nope. Stop trying to break the atmosphere.
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:44 pm

The mic system is there if you want to use it... If you think it's going to ruin the atmosphere of the game you don't have to use it. Sure the soul games are ment to feel lonely.. but i only really felt that on my first playthrough which i did offline, personally i want them to have a little change to communication.. im getting a little bored of the message system. The mic is a good choice for the longrun.. it may not benefit the story but it will certainly benefit the relations we have while playing with friends... and i did say that i would rather have the mics not connect to hostile players..

Plusits possible that this could add to the atmosphere. imagine if your summon is a bit far from you and their voice starts to fade away into soft echoes. i think we gotta give this idea a try
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:36 pm

THANK YOU and if you can hear the enemy phantoms they can use the proximity listening to either pin point a hiding ambush or mess with the players mind by talking but staying hidden. and then surprise You're dead. I am not trying to make it like call of duty where you hear your whole teeam yelling all the damn time I want it to be like killzone where you can only hear those players who are close enough to you
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:14 pm

I still think its an awful, atmosphere destroying idea. REALLY hope they maintain this core element of DS.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 pm

it wont destroy the atmosphere if you don't let it -_- just turn off communication. Like people complain about kids on call of duty . don't be dumb just mute them
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:51 pm

I do not know how many times you have had to point that out to people. *sigh*
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:55 pm

I guess Closed minds are more common than i thought >.<
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:57 pm

Its not the same. Yeah, you can say just mute them 100 times. Its like if there was a super atmosphere breaking item in the game, for example, a rocket launcher. "It completely destroys the carefully cerated atmosphere of the Souls series" - "Just dont use it then!"

See what I mean? It will change the game for the worse. It is a CORE element of what makes the franchise so appealing. I dont see why you need to force things that all other games cater for into this ONE game that doesnt. Why do all games need to be the same? It will dumb down the series. Whats next? Pause screen, save points everywhere?

Awful awful idea.
    DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Hey, now you saying that it does not ruin anything is being closed minded. And they think it would utterly destroy the feeling of despair, which is somewhat closed minded. So try not to be a walking contradiction.

My opinion on this is that it is not a needed feature, not a bad one, but an unneeded one. So i don't really care if they throw it in or not. Though i do somewhat lean towards it not fitting in with the soul series.

Last edited by DemonOfFate on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 am