Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Zephryl
AnCapaillMor
Erebos
7 posters

Sorceries with low Int?

Erebos
    Erebos

Sorceries with low Int? Empty Sorceries with low Int?

Post by Erebos Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:38 am

Alright, so I've put a decent amount of time into this game, and decided it was high time I actually tried using sorceries or faith. I ended up designing a mix of a pyromancy and sorcery build, thinking to keep as many stats as low as possible, while still being effective.

Now that I've gotten a little bit into it, I feel like sorcery is completely useless for what I wanted to do. I have 16 Int for Great Heavy Soul Arrow, and figured I'd use two slots of that, but the damage output is disappointingly low, and I was casting faster and doing more damage with a fireball with a +3 glove.

Since then I've gotten an Ascended Flame +5, with a Claymore +10 that will be lightning when I bother to go to Anor, I'll also pick up Giants when I get there.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=190300730729672673

There's what I have so far, minus the things I mentioned above.

Anyone have any ideas to use sorcery with this other than dumping points into intelligence? Because I'd like to stay as low a level as possible

Thanks for reading my novel and for any help

EDIT: I should also point out this is entirely for PvE, I'm a Sunbro
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Sorceries with low Int? Empty Re: Sorceries with low Int?

Post by AnCapaillMor Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:52 am

Stick with the oollacille catalyst, you'll get a 180 mag adjust no matter the int stat. Use the bellowing ring and crown of dusk to boost damage and get dark bead. for any other powerful spells you'll need to up your int. Stick with the pyro and have dark bead. I'd also suggest get claymore to +15 and use great magic weapon on it.
    Erebos
    Erebos

Post by Erebos Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:01 am

That's why I chose that catalyst, but is dark bead worth carrying around, since i'd need the catalyst, instead of some other pyromancys?

And I'm going lightning for the achievement mostly, I've done +15 before so I'm switching it up
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 am

If you can land dark bead up close its pretty lethal, handy if you're being ganked too.
    Erebos
    Erebos

Post by Erebos Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:08 am

I never do any pvp anyway, closest I get is being invaded during co-op, but I'll just keep going as I planned and pick up dark bead and try it out then, thanks bud
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 am

I'd say to go up to SL 55 to get another Attunement Slot, and get Fire Surge (If you've ever seen Rynn stream her Pyromancer, you'll know how devestating that Pyro is when used well).

Dark Bead is very good, and if you're gonna use a Sorcery it's well worth it to use just that one. You can either use it close range to really ramp up damage, or at longer range with a wider spread to try and hit more agile opponents.

And Lightning is a good choice for your weapon. It's not hugely known, but if your opponent pops a Flash Sweat in an effort to negate your Pyromancy, they'll actually take increased damage from Lightning.
    Erebos
    Erebos

Post by Erebos Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:20 am

I've seen people use fire surge, I've been rocked by it a couple times ahah, but is it useful for pve?
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 am

I've done a lot of low level builds and I think you have way too many points into endurance.

In my opinion, you would be better off keeping endurance low, wear light armor, and boost your intelligence. Get intelligence up to 44 and you can use the Soul Spear, which would reduce your endurance to 12.

I prefer the Izalith catalyst, but that's probably because I was able to defeat the four kings (solo) with it.

You'd get a big boost on magic output and your pyro won't be affected.

Oh, wait. After I'm done with my rant, I noticed the "low intelligence" goal. With an intelligence of at least 24, you can use some homing souls (crystal or normal) and they'll be better.
    Erebos
    Erebos

Post by Erebos Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:27 am

I pumped endurance because I love the claymore, not a very useful weapon if i can only whip out two swings, plus dodging as much as i want is nice.

But I probably will do a build soon with a lot of int and use soul spear and CMH, I wont use pyromancy on it either, ill probably be back with questions on that build too
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:03 am

Ah, you're looking for just PvE tips? In that case, definitely go for Dark Bead. It destroys in PvP, it totally owns PvE.

And I don't think it's as good in PvE, but I still say go for Attunement. With a 4th slot you can use a "Utility" spell, for if you know you're going somewhere you'll need Fall Control, or Cast Light. Or you can use Hidden Weapon/Body, or Power Within to boost that damage, or you can put in Great Soul Arrow (I suggest the regular version over the Heavy version for the extra casts and speed, your other spells/mancies are all low casts so a higher cost ranged option is good)
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:06 pm

At that soul level for pve, you need 21 poise (max) and Dark Bead and pyros.

After that go to NG+(x1,000,000).

Enjoy.

Also, use a short sword, the heater shield and Strong Magic Shield.

Trust me on this.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:08 am

Low level sorcery is only 2nd to pyromancy in terms of damage output. You can completely crush pve with only the basic soul arrow when used with dusk crown, bellowing dragoncrest ring, oolacile catalyst and red tearstone. If you throw in power within it becomes even easier. Anything over that is just icing on the cake reaslly.

Over a year ago I did an SL 3 sorcerer run(no leveling) and basically waltzed through the game destroying just about everything with the basic spells. Now that they've added dark bead and other low int spells it's even easier than ever. If you're going primarily sorcery then vit and end aren't even needed really as you shouldn't be getting hit or needing to block or swing weapons. Just put a grass crest shield on your back and make do with whatever stamina you want.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:29 am

Intelligence makes PvE a joke, TBH.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 7:34 pm