Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Derpwraith
A Fierce Plankton
Werdax
twigsterxd
Cartod
Hue
dumbworm
Dibsville
Gambs_the_Grey
Shkar
DE5PA1R
ResIsBestStat
Dutchy
17 posters

Butchers are female, or could it be all wrong?

Dutchy
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Butchers are female, or could it be all wrong? Empty Butchers are female, or could it be all wrong?

Post by Dutchy Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:16 pm

I was thinking about this, and something clicked. Why is Maneater Mildred called that. I'm sure she didn't give herself that name. She probably does eat men. or people. She wears a sack and uses a butcher's knife, just like the butcher's. And she is female. When we meet our Pyro compadre down in the depths, he says she would have eaten me. And given the fact that there are vicious chopping butchers nearby, we assume that they are females. But then we go into Blightown and come upon Maneater Mildred, a female. Players would traditionally go through the Depths, talk to Pyro dude, then go onto Blightown. Now, I write horror/mystery novels, and the pyro dude's story would be an excellent way to build suspense, and fear for our own lives. I think this might be the case, and that the Developers didn't put the placing of it right. Just a thought.

Afterthought: Why does Mildred help with Quelaag?
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Butchers are female, or could it be all wrong? Empty Re: Butchers are female, or could it be all wrong?

Post by ResIsBestStat Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:I was thinking about this, and something clicked. Why is Maneater Mildred called that. I'm sure she didn't give herself that name. She probably does eat men. or people. She wears a sack and uses a butcher's knife, just like the butcher's. And she is female. When we meet our Pyro compadre down in the depths, he says she would have eaten me. And given the fact that there are vicious chopping butchers nearby, we assume that they are females. But then we go into Blightown and come upon Maneater Mildred, a female. Players would traditionally go through the Depths, talk to Pyro dude, then go onto Blightown. Now, I write horror/mystery novels, and the pyro dude's story would be an excellent way to build suspense, and fear for our own lives. I think this might be the case, and that the Developers didn't put the placing of it right. Just a thought.

Afterthought: Why does Mildred help with Quelaag?

Maybe Mildred was one of the butchers who trespassed Quelaag's lair and got killed, later after you kill her black phantom, she become a white phantom to get her revenge
    Dutchy
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Butchers are female, or could it be all wrong? Empty Re: Butchers are female, or could it be all wrong?

Post by Dutchy Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Maybe, but that sounds a bit simplistic
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Well Queelag did give humanity to Queelan, I wouldn't get why Mildred would help you kill Queelag if she didn't have a grudge against her
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Miyazaki confirmed the butchers are women.

Relevant shameless plug:

Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:15 pm

DE5PA1R wrote:Miyazaki confirmed the butchers are women.

Relevant shameless plug:

Finally watched that video, and while I don't necessarily agree with it, I did fine it was well presented.

Tell me, did you see my most recent thread, the analysis of the Lord Souls? If not, pop a comment in there, you seem to typically have decent theories. https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t20445-another-look-at-the-flame

But enough of my off-topicness for this thread.
    Gambs_the_Grey
    Gambs_the_Grey
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Gambs_the_Grey Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:19 am

The other 2 butchers in the depths certainly appear male. Upper body strenghth like that. Maybe undead bones contain anabolics lol..
    You ever wondered why they are put into barrells ? we see undead in barrels all the way through the game, lower burg, new londo, parish etc
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:54 am

Many things in Dark Souls are referenced from Demon's Souls, such as the Shotel, the Crestfallen Warrior, and even Maneater Mildred.
    dumbworm
    dumbworm

Post by dumbworm Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:16 pm

I think they really are female. You remember when rescue that pyromancer, he says something like: ' she could have eaten me'. I dont really remember but basically it is like that
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:06 pm

Dibsville wrote:Many things in Dark Souls are referenced from Demon's Souls, such as the Shotel, the Crestfallen Warrior, and even Maneater Mildred.
    The shotel is referenced from real life
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotel
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Hachouma wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:Many things in Dark Souls are referenced from Demon's Souls, such as the Shotel, the Crestfallen Warrior, and even Maneater Mildred.
    The shotel is referenced from real life
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotel
    That's pretty obvious.
    Every weapon in the souls series has been referenced to real life things...
    You hatin' on people because they believed in a magical blue Greatsword?
    Cartod
    Cartod
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Cartod Tue May 07, 2013 1:03 pm

I know this is really late, but I just want to express my opinion on that.

It's pretty obvious to anybody with eyeballs that the butchers are male. They walk like males, are shaped like males, sound like males, and even act manly (they chop stuff up all day, much like a lumberjack, which is unarguably the manliest occupation one could have), so to me, they're male.

Miyazaki could say that the chosen undead is actually Mickey Mouse, but that doesn't mean I'll buy into it.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Tue May 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Cartod wrote:

It's pretty obvious to anybody with eyeballs that the butchers are male. They walk like males, are shaped like males, sound like males, and even act manly (they chop stuff up all day, much like a lumberjack, which is unarguably the manliest occupation one could have), so to me, they're male.

Miyazaki could say that the chosen undead is actually Mickey Mouse, but that doesn't mean I'll buy into it.

lol that's pretty stupid.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue May 07, 2013 4:04 pm

I don't get it. If they all suppose to be female, why do they have such manly grunts lol
    Cartod
    Cartod
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Cartod Wed May 08, 2013 12:29 am

DE5PA1R wrote:
    Cartod wrote:

lol that's pretty stupid.

Stay classy.
    Gambs_the_Grey
    Gambs_the_Grey
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Gambs_the_Grey Wed May 08, 2013 9:22 am

dumbworm wrote:I think they really are female. You remember when rescue that pyromancer, he says something like: ' she could have eaten me'. I dont really remember but basically it is like that
    She could mean Quelaag OR Mildred ?
    I still think the other 2 butchers are male
    Cartod
    Cartod
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Cartod Wed May 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Gambs_the_Grey wrote:
    dumbworm wrote:I think they really are female. You remember when rescue that pyromancer, he says something like: ' she could have eaten me'. I dont really remember but basically it is like that
    She could mean Quelaag OR Mildred ?
    I still think the other 2 butchers are male

I believe that Laurentius is referring to Mildred.

I saw a theory on here awhile back that made a lot of sense to me.

Basically, the butchers are a group that worships the Gaping Dragon, which is why they're always chopping meat (so they can make sacrifices to their "god"). When you kill the Gaping Dragon, their leader (Mildred) follows you to Blighttown to take revenge.
    Werdax
    Werdax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Werdax Wed May 08, 2013 6:36 pm

I've always considered the butchers as males. I have taken their gender into consideration, as Laurentius inform us that he was captured by a female. But the butchers have no female like appearances or movement whatsoever.
    And then there is Mildred, whom we are all able to recognize as a woman.
    A Fierce Plankton
    A Fierce Plankton
    Casual
    Casual

Post by A Fierce Plankton Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 pm

But didn't Miyazaki told the story of Maneater Mildred already?
    Unless I'm terribly mistaken, she doesn't have one. Related to the lore at least. In an interview some time ago the developers mentioned that there wasn't an initial a plan to include a NPC invasion there until late in development. The reason they put her there was because one of the testers was constantly invading other FROM employees at the swamp during testing stage of game development, using a fat female character and a butcher's knife and wearing nothing but a sack. So they decided to make an NPC based on that as an internal joke.
    Derpwraith
    Derpwraith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Derpwraith Wed May 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Its obvious that Mildred wanted to taste some delicious chaos spider meat, mmm..
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Wed May 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Come on Sunbroski, that was uncalled for.
    Don't go into Mildred's personal life, she's very sensitive!
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Wed May 08, 2013 8:53 pm

i see it more as an "honor" thing, you survived her onslaught so she gave you a hand on your common enemy. i actually think it would have been better pulled off if you had have encountered her in a few more places, depths, TOG, places where she would want to go, then every time you defeat her she helps you. then after the final time (likely in the kiln) she drops something like a special sack or a special pyro as a final farewell.
    Dutchy
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dutchy Thu May 09, 2013 6:11 am

I think perhaps you should read the OP before commenting... not just the topic
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Thu May 09, 2013 11:39 am

Please stop. Miyazaki confirmed the butchers are female. End of discussion.
    Derpwraith
    Derpwraith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Derpwraith Thu May 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Dibsville wrote:Come on Sunbroski, that was uncalled for.
    Don't go into Mildred's personal life, she's very sensitive!
    Whaa..? After we killed her we had a mighty feast! Ohhh I wonder what her sister tastes like, keh he he he he...!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:04 pm