Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+39
Wilkinson3424
Phoenix Rising
aqueous12
Sentiel
Odinbear
RevolverSnake
Halicarnassis
Jovias-86
EarthScraper
eminusx
Aevun
GrinTwist
Dibsville
IHateTheFourKings
Marionx
Rayko
Juutas
RANT
Encore
Emergence
Silver Mont
Reaperfan
Noob-of-Artorias
Myztyrio
tooots
steveswede
chaos4ever181
Rumeye
skarekrow13
Dessembrae
tofucactaur
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
dragonbeast6
ResIsBestStat
Soris Ice Goldwing
FexDS
Serious_Much
tonberryking01
Sargerus
43 posters

Release Date Confirmed: MARCH 2014

eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Release Date Confirmed: MARCH 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: Release Date Confirmed: MARCH 2014

Post by eminusx Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:17 am

confirmed by Bamco

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-03-namco-bandai-confirms-march-2014-dark-souls-2-release-date

thats that then. . .
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Release Date Confirmed: MARCH 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: Release Date Confirmed: MARCH 2014

Post by Odinbear Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:31 am

More I think about it, seems very strange that the release date for DkS2 would come several months after the PS4 has been released. Especially since it has already been said the game would not be released for the next-gen consoles.

This IS puzzling, since you would think that game developers WOULD be jumping on the bandwagon to write their games for the next biggest thing.
    Or maybe they know, I'll throw my PS3 out if DkS2 isn't released for that platform. Lol

BTW, does anybody have any knowledge whether PS3 games will be playable on the new console.
    I know there's a couple PS2 games that supposedly work on the PS3 (personally don't own any PS2 games). Perhaps, FROM's initial release will be for PS3/Xbox , but they will also "port it" to the next- gen consoles by Christmas 2014, thereby maximizing sales/ profits?

The mystery thickens.

Last edited by Odinbear on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 am

This only confirms that the game may be released for next gen instead. Something is bothering me about all this but I can't figure out what yet. I wonder what is going on with the devolpers..
    Sargerus
    Sargerus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sargerus Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:21 am

Odinbear wrote:
    BTW, does anybody have any knowledge whether PS3 games will be playable on the new console.

Both PS4 and Xbox One don't have retrocompatibility
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:31 am

Sargerus wrote:
    Odinbear wrote:

Both PS4 and Xbox One don't have retrocompatibility

Indeed. twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil twistedevil
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:32 am

So would that be why? Because the new consoles will not be backwards compatiable that the new game may instead be released for the new ones? To save sales and keep up with the shift?
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:05 pm

FexDS wrote:That means more time to debug and playtest. Not an issue for me happy
    Agreed, but the wait is a torment!
    aqueous12

Post by aqueous12 Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:32 pm

I think this has already been mentioned, but the thing that really annoys me about this is that it looks like they're releasing it on current gen consoles after next get comes out. I plan to get a PS4 at launch, so if I'm playing that when DKS2 comes out, that that means I'll have to dust off my PS3, reconnect it to my TV, and then switch back if I ever want to play another PS4 game?

Seems like a really strange decision from a marketing perspective.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:41 pm

From a marketing perspective its the equivalent of shooting themselves in the foot. They're missing out on all that holiday money. From a development perspective...if they are sitting on a gold mine of a game, they are going to want it to be as close to perfect as possible and not rush release. So, in a way it makes sense.

On a side note, they just ruined my birthday! (Its in October)Release Date Confirmed: MARCH 2014 - Page 3 1060304348Release Date Confirmed: MARCH 2014 - Page 3 1060304348Release Date Confirmed: MARCH 2014 - Page 3 1060304348
    chaos4ever181
    chaos4ever181
    Regular
    Regular

Post by chaos4ever181 Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Phoenix Rising wrote:From a marketing perspective its the equivalent of shooting themselves in the foot. They're missing out on all that holiday money. From a development perspective...if they are sitting on a gold mine of a game, they are going to want it to be as close to perfect as possible and not rush release. So, in a way it makes sense.

On a side note, they just ruined my birthday! (Its in October)Release Date Confirmed: MARCH 2014 - Page 3 1060304348Release Date Confirmed: MARCH 2014 - Page 3 1060304348Release Date Confirmed: MARCH 2014 - Page 3 1060304348

True, why say that you won't release for the next gen consoles yet wait 5 months into the next gen's debut. By that time, everyone either sold of their PS3's or 360's to some to some shop, threw them out, or put them in their closets or some hard to reach storage place. You could either come out later in the year and rake in what good final last gen money you can make and convince others to hold on to our PS3s, or release a last gen title on the years that the new gen will take over and hardly make the profits you would have made back then.

This release is still backwords to me.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:14 pm

chaos4ever181 wrote:This release is still backwords to me.
    Perfect way to describe how I feel now about this. I mean it does allow more testing which is always good but this date just baffles me.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:17 pm

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:
    Perfect way to describe how I feel now about this. I mean it does allow more testing which is always good but this date just baffles me.

BETA??? maybe?

please?? Release Date Confirmed: MARCH 2014 - Page 3 3745673325
    chaos4ever181
    chaos4ever181
    Regular
    Regular

Post by chaos4ever181 Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:

Look at it this way, if the game comes out this year in like October as like the other ones, no matter the launch dates for the PS4 and Xbox One, it would make great sales based on the fact that it's a Souls game for the last gen before we transition to the next gen, no matter how many bugs the devs might have to work with on launch. If it comes out in March 2014, the game could be a near perfect balance of gameplay, mechanics, and little to no bugs and exploits, but the sales will BOMB due to no real announcement to port onto the next gen, plus the fact that most of the consumers might have already moved on from the last gen consoles. It would make this game a superiority underrated game, and not in a good way. Plus the ads they put out for this game only to make less money than the intended sales number would hurt From Software to the point of making Dark Souls II the LAST Souls game.

In short:
    Dark Souls II for October: Great sales, some gripes/exploits to work with, convince people to hold on to the last gen

Dark Souls II for March 2014 with next gen port coming later: Poor sales, most people already have moved on to next gen. Developers get hurt, having to then chance plans on how to make these sort of games. Will be remembered as the near perfect Souls game that couldn't keep up with the times.

Hope someone from Namco/From Software sees this, they really need to reconsider their release options.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Yeah I noticed that this date really does not make sense on many viewpoints. Not from a business one, shift to next gen sense, or a release trend. Really is anything big ever released in March? I do want an explanation for the reasoning behind it.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:26 pm

The only reason I could think of is that they didn't want to compete with any games that will be released in the fall/winter time frame.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:29 pm

The game is going to move a kajillion units regardless of when it drops.
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Honestly people, True Dark souls fans, and the community of the game that has lasted this far, will get the game regardless of when it comes out. We aren't going down the crapper because FROM wants to work on it a bit longer.
    Sargerus
    Sargerus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sargerus Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:35 pm

chaos4ever181 wrote:
    True, why say that you won't release for the next gen consoles yet wait 5 months into the next gen's debut. By that time, everyone either sold of their PS3's or 360's to some to some shop, threw them out, or put them in their closets or some hard to reach storage place.

That's a hyperbole right there.

Gen transition wont happen in an instant, it generally takes 1-2 years. I know several people that wont even touch next-gen because of curent gen games coming in the winter/holiday season and DkS2. Also, the big next gen hits will arrive in November/December. As of now, March/14 is a "dead" month regarding big games releases, so from a business point of view it makes sense to release DkS2 in such a month, plus it will have more time for polishment.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:43 pm

You know thinking harder a bit wouldn't releasing it in a dead month actually help game sales? It helps fill that gap and there would not be much for a competition.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:58 pm

I don't get why people say it will hurt sales, by march everyone will be bored of the games they got on xmas, and a lot of kids get money for xmas so they have money to buy games after xmas.
    Dusk Soul
    Dusk Soul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dusk Soul Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm weirdly relieved it won't be released on October, another three games I really want come out the same month (AC IV, Batman Arkham Origins and Pokémon X&Y) so DkS II being released later means I will have more time to enjoy those games. Also it means I have more time to save up, which hopefully means I can get those Special Edition that always pop out for such expected games.
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Uhh, people saying I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE DONE THIS!?!?!?!.. perhaps the game isn't finished???? Its not like a game is completed, and then publishers are are like "lets release it 9 months from now to piss off everyone". It will be done when its done and I for one HOPE they don't rush anything, and take all the time they need. Patience is a virtue.
    R3dlace
    R3dlace
    Casual
    Casual

Post by R3dlace Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:03 am

vegan666 wrote:Uhh, people saying I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE DONE THIS!?!?!?!.. perhaps the game isn't finished???? Its not like a game is completed, and then publishers are are like "lets release it 9 months from now to piss off everyone". It will be done when its done and I for one HOPE they don't rush anything, and take all the time they need. Patience is a virtue.

Yup. They will take what they need, it's not like Namco can say "Take this money and it will go faster" because no, creativity won't go faster with more money. Sure it takes some to start it, but its saturation point is pretty low. It's a proof that Namco ain't bullyin' no one yet.
    eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by eminusx Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:31 am

aqueous12 wrote:the thing that really annoys me about this is that it looks like they're releasing it on current gen consoles after next get comes out. I plan to get a PS4 at launch, so if I'm playing that when DKS2 comes out, that that means I'll have to dust off my PS3, reconnect it to my TV, and then switch back if I ever want to play another PS4 game?

arent you supposed to be able to play ps3 games on ps4? i'm pretty sure weve been told its backwards compatible.

9 months wait. guys, have a think about all the things you love about Dark Souls, all that juicy, hidden lore, the intricate flourishes of detail, the jaw dropping environments and architecture. . .and just think what they can achieve with an additional 9 months development time under their belt. . .
    be patient, it will be worth the wait, From arent gonna drop the ball on this, they know the fans are chewing their own fingers in anticipation, but their commitment can only be a good thing, i'd even suggest Miyazaki has some part to play insisting it must be nothing less than grossly incandescent on release.

steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:12 am

eminusx wrote:arent you supposed to be able to play ps3 games on ps4? i'm pretty sure weve been told its backwards compatible.

Only on the cloud. There is no PS3 hardware or emulator in a a PS4.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:36 am