Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+66
Demon Slayer
TomBombadil515*
The Letter X
Zeta Prime
VaDoom
reim0027
Uparkaam
GkMrBane
OminousSquaffle
Bassman Bob
tigab95
mddwg
Soul of Stray Demon
lonewolf
Mr. Tart
PlasticandRage
MikailArksot
SolaireOfAstora
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Encore
Marino.
WaffleGuy
Reaperfan
Hatsune Miku
bunnywink
Serious_Much
Hue
Animaaal
AnCapaillMor
KrazykevS10
nsane32
Lord of Ash
Elite Knight
Onion Knight
TheMeInTeam
Hart
TehInfamousAmos
drdrack
Jester's Tears
Leet
Forum Pirate
twilightwarwolf
Peaceful Wollyhop
Emergence
Rifter7
Soris Ice Goldwing
Bontee
Shakie666
Ostrava34
Doctor Snuggles
Spurgun
Aigaios
Sentiel
Tolvo
Wilkinson3424
Carphil
XachAttack
LunarFog
Latitoast
wretchedsausage
ResIsBestStat
Dibsville
Forcefed
skarekrow13
GrinTwist
SirArchmage
70 posters

Confessions

GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Confessions - Page 27 Empty Re: Confessions

Post by GrinTwist Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:54 am

I dislike anime that uses chibi faces on their characters at a constant rate.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:15 am

I confess I stayed up really late (still up obviously) waiting for a DS2 code rather than sleep because:

I'm teaching CPR tomorrow and I'm of the opinion that as far as work goes, I can phone that in pretty easily
    lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lonewolf Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:02 am

i like animated movies oth 3d and drawn, i would choose them over real life movies
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:56 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I watch old nature documentaries.
    I used to watch old nature documentaries, but then I took an arrow in the knee.
    Bassman Bob
    Bassman Bob
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bassman Bob Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Hatsune Miku wrote:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I watch old nature documentaries.
    I used to watch old nature documentaries, but then I took an arrow in the knee.
    And then you took a FALCON PUNCH!!! to the face.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:35 pm

I confess- I never thought I'd become a moderator.. least not a proper one silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:24 pm

I confess, I'm a misanthrope.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Tolvo wrote:I confess, I'm a misanthrope.
    I confess I had to google that
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:30 pm

I confess I don't really hate the individuals, but I do hate humanity as a whole and have always wished the rest of humanity would just be wiped out leaving me eternally on an empty planet where I can enjoy being alone.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:55 pm

You could try an uninhabited island for a few years T and see how that works out for you.
    Demon Slayer
    Demon Slayer
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Demon Slayer Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:04 pm

LunarFog wrote:I'm a man.

jkjk
    Wut...

I dont like religion.

I HATE when  my mom makes me go to the church.

I dont like  cats
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Demon Slayer wrote:I dont like religion.

Choose your religious practices and beliefs for yourself.  Don't let your family dictate when and how to express them.  But also don't let your disdain for your family's actions define your beliefs for you.

Call it a personal trigger, but it upsets me when people decide to throw out the idea of religion entirely because "I don't like going to church."  Take the time to actually evaluate the beliefs being taught, and decide if you agree or disagree with them.  After you've decided that, then say those beliefs and practices are or aren't for you.  Just don't make the decision off of something as petty as your parent's weekly routine.

Last edited by Reaperfan on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:25 pm

I confess that my skills with paint have vastly improved, just look at my signature !
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:25 pm

I confess that some days I don't even know what I should do upon waking up...Look Skyward 
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:27 pm

I confess my self-confidence issues are starting to bite at me a bit.  I won't know until sometime this weekend if the nerves are justified or not though...
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:34 pm

I confess that my priorities are not set straight. I've breezed by most things in my life, and now it's biting me in the butt.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:35 pm

Reaperfan wrote:I confess my self-confidence issues are starting to bite at me a bit.  I won't know until sometime this weekend if the nerves are justified or not though...
    What's happening?

And same, X.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Reaperfan wrote:

Choose your religious practices and beliefs for yourself.  Don't let your family dictate when and how to express them.  But also don't let your disdain for your family's actions define your beliefs for you.

Call it a personal trigger, but it upsets me when people decide to throw out the idea of religion entirely because "I don't like going to church."  Take the time to actually evaluate the beliefs being taught, and decide if you agree or disagree with them.  After you've decided that, then say those beliefs and practices are or aren't for you.  Just don't make the decision off of something as petty as your parent's weekly routine.
    +1 for Truthiness!
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Reaperfan wrote:

Actually the whole dislike of a religion because of its rituals (aka going to church) is a valid reason, partially because of the minor task, but also because of the answer when one asks "why".

For a kid, as I was when this carries the most memory for me, it made little sense.  The act wasn't necessarily good in and of itself for any reason I could discern, and the sermons varied but were generally lectures on various points of morality or self growth.  To me back then, I looked upon that being mandatory as illogical and forced boredom when I wasn't getting anything I perceived as useful (and still don't) as extra school time basically.  I didn't like a faith that forced that upon me, especially as I was largely pretty well behaved.  I learned over time that such things only carry meaning when one wishes to pursue them, but then going to church itself to get that experience would only have any use if one desired it and made a conscious effort to grow from it (the latter part of this argument I couldn't formulate until later).

I didn't yet know that religion has a long history of being used as a tool to manipulate or as justification for doing harmful things.  I didn't know so many purported practictioners of the faith actually didn't have it in their own hearts, and I didn't understand its importance as a unifying force in a community that might otherwise lack direction.  I didn't care about any of that.  What I perceived did not make sense to me, and yet for a while I was still forced to go, and so go I did.

Faith is something with enormous potential, and that potential is a double edged sword.  Even as a kid, I was able to perceive that much.  Some people were just so on board with it, bought into it so much, and yet I couldn't see it at all.  Perhaps that was its most important lesson to me back then; a frame of reference I might not have seen or understood for much longer had I not witnessed it...a direct, observable confirmation that different people really do perceive the world and its workings so differently.  It took me a little longer to accept that reality, but perhaps that was religion's biggest gift to me, despite that I don't and like won't follow any faith.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:45 pm

Yeah, I think one should be able to decide not to go to church if they don't want to. I'm sure for most religions, their god should be accepting of that. (Although I understand not all are that way)
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:00 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:I didn't yet know that religion has a long history of being used as a tool to manipulate or as justification for doing harmful things.
    If I understood/read this correctly; I may be greatly offended by this.

Please elaborate.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Hatsune Miku wrote:
    TheMeInTeam wrote:I didn't yet know that religion has a long history of being used as a tool to manipulate or as justification for doing harmful things.
    If I understood/read this correctly; I may be greatly offended by this.

Please elaborate.
    I believe he's referring to things like the Crusades and the Inquisition, where the Church used extreme violence against other nations and cultures and even it's own people to further or preserve its influence under the excuses "it's the will of God" or that it was all "in God's name."

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:What's happening?
    Keep an eye on Fextralife.
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:00 am

I exhibit more psychopathic behaviors than 80% of the American population.
    On a scale of 1 to 5, I score around a 3.5, while most score a 1 or 2

I'm still plenty sane though, this just alludes to a number of my personality traits.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:27 am

I believe he's referring to things like the Crusades and the Inquisition, where the Church used extreme violence against other nations and cultures and even it's own people to further or preserve its influence under the excuses "it's the will of God" or that it was all "in God's name."
    Yes, that is one major historical example.  Unfortunately, it isn't the only one.  The Church was once a major political force unto itself and influenced nations in questionable ways quite a bit while it was still at the height of its power.  But smaller-scale usage of religion as a tool exists also.  Terrorists warp it and then use that warped version to push faith into evil acts, nations use it as a pretense to set and enforce laws that violate human rights, and people kill in the name of religion even today.

These are all examples of evil acts of people, but they *are* using religion as a tool.  They are wielding blind faith as a means to get people to commit acts they'd otherwise not do.  Note that this doesn't make a religion bad unto itself, but rather shows the pitfall of equating/mistaking the will and guidance of another person or group with the divine guidance of a religion's teachings.

Confession:  One of the reasons I know about this is that I find the practice of manipulating other people fascinating.  I grew up knowing someone in my family who was extremely good at it, but faced what I now realize is a mostly subconscious moral dilemma while doing so.  In our case, this tendency has significant negative consequences for the entire family at times, me included. Everyone manipulates each other to an extent just naturally, but the deliberate practice, and doing so successfully, is an impressive if potentially evil art.

There's a custom map in starcraft 2 called "mafia", a take on the party game, except that everyone is truly anonymous for the duration of a game and the nature of the interface gives various roles more depth and possibility.  One of the true joys in this game is to get a mostly meaningless role (survivor - win by simply not being hit or lynched, regardless of faction), a role with no ability to gather information and no direct stake in which faction wins...and then completely changing and shaping the town chat and even altering which side wins.  That this is possible, despite that others have access to more information and have more power, says a lot about the potential power of manipulation of other human beings.  I consider this a dangerous thing to embrace, but it's kind of like the "moth to flame/pyromancy" thing; so powerful it's hard to resist.  

It can be used for good, however, such as when the survivor points out that another person didn't vote to lynch a player that turned out to be mafia, pressures him for his role, and then points out the inconsistency in the answer/how the person would have acted differently if they were telling the truth.  However, one can also get a town player lynched just as easily, and in fact town players who aren't good at the game make great targets because their failure to do their job to its potential makes them more suspicious, and you less so for targeting them in chat.

It seems that out of all of my siblings, I am the one most likely to take the manipulation role into the next generation. That both scares me and fascinates me. I hope I can use it more responsibly.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:30 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:These are all examples of evil acts of people, but they *are* using religion as a tool.  They are wielding blind faith as a means to get people to commit acts they'd otherwise not do.  Note that this doesn't make a religion bad unto itself, but rather shows the pitfall of equating/mistaking the will and guidance of another person or group with the divine guidance of a religion's teachings.
    Now I'm less offend. But just the same, still offended.

Although I do realize some people do evil acts in the name of a religion. Those people the do evil acts are not in their right mind and are corrupt.
    But that's not the purpose of a religion. It does differ with each religion. But the action taken and the usual out come is for the most part good.

I won't go any further than that, cause this is not a debate thread. And really, this topic we both are having should've started in a PM. My apologize to the forum team.

On-Topic:
    I got a my haircut military style for my granddaddy's 80th birth day, since he served our country.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:04 am