Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Jansports
BrotherBob
reim0027
Latitoast
KidFuras
elloguvnas
Animaaal
Soris Ice Goldwing
Tolvo
White Knight Wulf
skarekrow13
Walter_White
Devokai
TheMeInTeam
billy_bayonet
twigsterxd
KrazykevS10
Automancer
Aigaios
LunarFog
Kato217
25 posters

PvP etiquette?

Kato217
    Kato217

PvP etiquette? Empty PvP etiquette?

Post by Kato217 Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:31 am

i know there really is none, but now that i have your attention ::

i'm in the darkmoon brotherhood and got whisked to anor londo to punish someone. not too likely since i haven't finished the game yet and i have never used a hack. i do like to duel tho, so anyway... i am greeted by 2 fellows with similar gamertags, one is a phantom. they proceed to beat me down and being who i am i message them both saying "good duel".

anyway, this happens three more times, exactly as above. the host is clearly not able to defeat me without his pal, but i don't care. each time i message, "nice duel". the final time i add thi, "do you need a certain number of kills? i'm happy to keep the ring on for as many as you need to help you get the achievement or whatever you need."

the host messages me back that he wants to try "1v1" ...

ummm, you've had several shots at that already, but okay.

i get summoned in again and they are both in the lobby of the palace. fight starts, i am stomping him and then his friend heals and jumps in. i get smooshed. so i message, "nice duel, but i thought you wanted a 1v1?"

and get back an all caps, "SURPRISE MOTHERFU#$*%ER!!!!!" 

i mean, really? is that supposed to bug me? do you REALLY think I am surprised? oh well, i guess even little kids like to play dark souls happy anyway, i thought the story was interesting.

anyone else have interactions with players who haven't taken their lithium?
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

PvP etiquette? Empty Re: PvP etiquette?

Post by Automancer Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:49 am

"Expect the unexpected" is all i can say after my time playing the game.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:01 am

Kato217 wrote:

i mean, really? is that supposed to bug me? 

It bugged you enough to make you create this topic.  There is no, and shouldn't be any PvP etiquette if you're invading.  If you invade always expect and be ready to deal with the dirtiest tricks you can think of.

Now if you were being summoned through a Red Sign Soapstone or Dragon Eye, then that would be an entirely different story since you literally had to ask permission to fight someone.  That's when you can fairly expect there to be any etiquette. 
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:04 am

LunarFog wrote:
    Kato217 wrote:

i mean, really? is that supposed to bug me? 

It bugged you enough to make you create this topic.  There is no, and shouldn't be any PvP etiquette if you're invading.  If you invade always expect and be ready to deal with the dirtiest tricks you can think of.

Now if you were being summoned through a Red Sign Soapstone or Dragon Eye, then that would be an entirely different story since you literally had to ask permission to fight someone.  That's when you can fairly expect there to be any etiquette. 
    /thread
    Aigaios
    Aigaios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aigaios Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:10 am

PvP etiquette? You do know you are talking about a location used by gankers. It is just how people there play, both the DM and FH that use the ring to invade should expect nothing more. Because people go to those places to gank or to kill gankers so when invading there you need to expect to be ganked.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:33 am

LunarFog wrote:There is no, and shouldn't be any PvP etiquette if you're invading.  If you invade always expect and be ready to deal with the dirtiest tricks you can think of.

This is not true and it is sad to read something like this from a vet, who probably has seen the times, when this rules where common knowledge. Not that everyone followed the rules, but most did know about them and some decided to not play by the unwritten rules.
    With the repeating "There are now rules" mantra you make it true rolling eyes 

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Online#Online%20Play-PvP%20Etiquette%20and%20Respectful%20Playing

This is a list of other things you can do before, during, and after PvP if you wish to stay respectful and make the Dark Souls community better in general.
    Yeah the idea of a community and the aim to make the community better is really dead....sad to say that

Unfortunately, there will always be unscrupulous players that ignore these PvP conventions in pursuit of simply killing you as soon as possible, or worse try to exploit them by acting honorable at first and then backstabbing you when you bow back or the like.
    This is the new rule for everybody - Forest infested whole Lordran

Boletaria isn't already infested....not yet...
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:39 am

PvP Etiquette:

1.  Avoid playing with a wooden modem.  The connection doesn't have to be amazing, just okay.
    2.  Avoid spamming expletives at people, try to keep trash talk classier than that.
    3.  Avoid attempting to force rules onto other players.
    4.  Avoid using something other than Dark Souls to modify the game (IE don't hack or lag switch).

Other things to avoid:

- If you get invaded by a player using no armor or weapons at all, getting killed by him is really embarassing.
    - Poor gesture choices lose style points.  Make sure your gestures suit your purposes.  Focus is key, whether trying to be friendly or annoying.
    - You should probably be suspicious of items near ledges.  Just saying.

One more note:

- Never trust a host + phantom to duel honorably.  Some will do it, but most will have someone jump in if it looks bad.
    - However, their fake honor might nevertheless be a window of opportunity.  Don't neglect the possibility of quickly chain-comboing your target before his buddy can react, or doing something like a PW + Hornet boosted backstab on the guy who's "just watching", killing him instantly long before he decides to jump in.  The important point here is that, at least for a few seconds, the other guy can't react in time to attack you, and that might be all you need.

Last edited by TheMeInTeam on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:39 am

Walter_White wrote:
    LunarFog wrote:There is no, and shouldn't be any PvP etiquette if you're invading.  If you invade always expect and be ready to deal with the dirtiest tricks you can think of.

This is not true and it is sad to read something like this from a vet, who probably has seen the times, when this rules where common knowledge. Not that everyone followed the rules, but most did know about them and some decided to not play by the unwritten rules.
    With the repeating "There are now rules" mantra you make it true rolling eyes 

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Online#Online%20Play-PvP%20Etiquette%20and%20Respectful%20Playing

This is a list of other things you can do before, during, and after PvP if you wish to stay respectful and make the Dark Souls community better in general.
    Yeah the idea of a community and the aim to make the community better is really dead....sad to say that

Unfortunately, there will always be unscrupulous players that ignore these PvP conventions in pursuit of simply killing you as soon as possible, or worse try to exploit them by acting honorable at first and then backstabbing you when you bow back or the like.
    This is the new rule for everybody - Forest infested whole Lordran

Boletaria isn't already infested....not yet...

That's just idealistic thinking. There's no need to sugarcoat such ethics when in truth, people will throw aside such 'rules' in a blink of an eye when in trouble.

The game was never meant to have any 'rules' or 'respect'. Players are the ones that bring that over hoping to create 'order' amongst the playerbase.

If you want respect, keep that to your arranged duels instead of forcing it on others who also have their own methods of having fun, no matter how dirty and aggravating they are. Once you learn to accept that, you'll learn to enjoy the game even more.

Lastly, you earn respect. Not cry for it.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:39 am

What I hate is dropping red for a friend, getting jumped right away, telling host not to summon me but get a nasty response that makes me block the retard.
    Even in DeS the etiquette has changed. Used to be buff, bow, fight. Now it's spawn, make sure you're safe to get ready, then fight.

I find online gaming ridiculous now a days. The only good part about it is doing co op with friends.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:41 am

TheMeInTeam wrote:
    3.  Avoid attempting to force rules onto other players.

Well - you are trying to force THAT rule and the rule, that there is no rule to everybody...who is better?

Automancer wrote:
    The game was never meant to have any 'rules' or 'respect'. Players are the ones that bring that over hoping to create 'order' amongst the playerbase.

I don't know what the game was meant to be played. You are all only guessing how it should be played and force this to the community. So you interpretation is better than mine? Why? Because it's more rutheless? Or is this Miyazaki's forum account?

Automancer wrote:
    If you want respect, keep that to your arranged duels instead of forcing it on others who also have their own methods of having fun, no matter how dirty and aggravating they are.
    Again you force me to change my playstyle....wtf. The one or two hours i play Dark Souls a week i play with honor and respect to all player i invade and i won't change it.

Automancer wrote:
    Once you learn to accept that, you'll learn to enjoy the game even more.
    I will NEVER accept that - thats my style and i won't change it. Only because everybody startet to burn women and children, i don't have to do that!
    Instead of accepting i moved on, like most of the old DeS player back to DeS, or to other games.

And lastly - the OP and i really get downrepped for what we said...REALLY?
    ....as i said R.I.P. community, now even in this forum.....

@ Kato fixed the downrep for you - don't let them pull you down
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 am

Wow, way to twist my words there, pal.

No one ever said anything about how the game was supposed to be played, only that there was no rule set given on how players should play the game in its original framework. Insecure?

Eh, as always you're all talk but no action. *shrugs*
    Whatever floats your boat.

Lastly, i'm sure upvoting him will improve his overall moral, LOL.

Last edited by Automancer on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling errors)
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:54 am

I'll probably get some hate for this but I'd say save yourself a lot of time and deaths and don't bother trying to play nice.There's nothing wrong with trying to play fair but there are many players who really don't care for it and they will be the ones you remember.Just kill,doesn't matter when,how or why but kill every player you can or they will kill you while you bow.Survival of the fittest biggest douche is how it is nowadays.

sad
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Walter +1 bro.

Also, the part about Lastly, you earn respect. Not cry for it.
    So if I bow to an opponent and he bs's me, to me that's disrespectful. You have to SHOW respect in order to get or receive it.

That ^ is why people like Fex and others create forums where we get to know others and share our views of our likes and dislikes such as proper game etiquette.
    Online games were NOT meant for a bunch of bullies to come in and ruin peoples games. If the community as a whole, agreed on proper PvP, it only takes one person to change it.

I agree with everything Walter said, but that's probably because we both old school veterans.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 pm

KrazykevS10 wrote:I'll probably get some hate for this but I'd say save yourself a lot of time and deaths and don't bother trying to play nice.There's nothing wrong with trying to play fair but there are many players who really don't care for it and they will be the ones you remember.Just kill,doesn't matter when,how or why but kill every player you can or they will kill you while you bow.Survival of the fittest biggest douche is how it is nowadays.

sad

no you don't get hate for that...but:

That's not true!

Last time i tried a Invasion run in AL i won 9 out of 10. I bowed to every host, first killed the summons and let the hosts clear the area before bowing. 3 honorable duels (they bowed and didn't heal after bow) and the last one killed me after an epic fight - we exchanged a gg via psn.
    Only one host BSed my bow - that was the one i killed two times after killing his two summons, killed him with 20hp left.

I was completly drunk the whole time and didn't used overpwored equipment or magic, only one BS by accident.

p.s.: i didn't downrepped anybody in this thread!

***edit***

THX twig, esp for that:
    twigsterxd wrote:
    That ^ is why people like Fex and others create forums where we get to know others and share our views of our likes and dislikes such as proper game etiquette.
    Online games were NOT meant for a bunch of bullies to come in and ruin peoples games. If the community as a whole, agreed on proper PvP, it only takes one person to change it.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:31 pm

I got down rep'd HA HA
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:34 pm

lol, its a game
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:42 pm

I should have added,
    "That's not proper etiquette!"
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Well - you are trying to force THAT rule and the rule, that there is no rule to everybody...who is better?

The absence of rules is not a rule.

Again you force me to change my playstyle....wtf. The one or two hours i play Dark Souls a week i play with honor and respect to all player i invade and i won't change it.

There's actually no problem with this.  Dark Souls is designed so that people can play however they want, regardless of the consequences to them for doing it.  Sometimes you get odd stuff like when I invade naked without weapons and hosts actually play the 2 damage punching game.  There's no rule saying they have to.  I don't expect them to.  But, they can if they want, and sometimes they do, and that invasion plays out very differently from the ones where I have a slight speed advantage due to no equip weight and make a nuisance of myself.

The only disconnect here is when you start expecting other players to behave in ways they did not agree to behave.  Otherwise there's nothing wrong with heaping any number of rules on oneself, or on others who agree to them before fighting.

IMO when I invade a random person the 2nd time and we both bow because we had a good fight the last time, even though neither of us did before, that has so much more meaning.  But that doesn't mean everybody has to play that way.  He'd have been equally justified in slapping me while I bowed, had I done it close enough to let him.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Post #6 said nothing wrong to deserve a down vote...+1.

Post #8 is condescending, and accuses the poster of post #6 of "crying" for apparently no reason...-1.

@Op of thread

Ya, kids play games, and I thought you're offer was a very nice gesture.  However, most people are right that there are no rules when invading.  It is what it is.

@Anyone who said/says "DONT PUSH YOUR RULES ON ME"

Just leave the community.  You obviously have no understanding of the community and how the rules apply to almost every aspect of the game.

There are fight clubs designed around this premise, events organized reflecting such ideals, and private covenants that either promote or try and deter from the well known, and well thought out I might add, "community rules".

The notion of applying these rules to random invasions is of course ridiculous, but saying that the rules this community has fashioned into its character from the beginning of Demon's Souls all the way to the current Dark Souls meta, are arbitrary and/or "idealistic" takes away from everything we (the community) have worked so hard for.

And for the record, I think we've done an OUTSTANDING job over the past 3-4 years.

Last edited by Animaaal on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Devokai
    Devokai
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Devokai Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:12 pm

I wanted to give you a +1 Animal for being a cool dude who doesn't afraid of anything.
    But sadly it seems I can't so I'll just give you a fictional internets QQ
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Devokai wrote:I wanted to give you a +1 Animal for being a cool dude who doesn't afraid of anything.
    But sadly it seems I can't so I'll just give you a fictional internets QQ

%$#@ YES!!!!!!!!

Those are waaaaaaaaaaaay better cheers 

Thank You

Bow 
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:17 pm

thx animaaal - i'm out of uprepps for today, but tomorrow is a new day ;-)
    this time i tried to say it the right way - thx for helping me in the thread i said it the wrong way and thx for saying it even better with your words
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:30 pm

You're welcome Walter.

I thought for sure there would be a flood of, "Animaaal you jerky jerk face, rules are for sissies and your avatar sucks....".  BUT, like you said....tomorrow is a new day lol.

Personally, I'm in awe of the Souls Community.  Anyone that has any real gaming experience will agree, we...are....magical.

The  community is the reason the game has lasted so long.  Is it a fantastic experience offline all on its own???...sure.

However, what we (the players) have done to push Dark Souls 2 into a "AAA title" is simply amazing.

We have cultured the series into what it is today.  WE are responsible for the arena, certain aspects of certain patches, and many other things we are probably unaware of.

When the history books are written (or whatever) the souls community will go down as a community that changed the face of gaming and how developers work with and listen to their consumer base.

We are special indeed...+1 at all of us. thumbs up

Last edited by Animaaal on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammer)
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:30 pm

PvP etiquette from the mind of a Skarekrow:

During online competitive play in a video game, it is expected that all parties will choose to either press or not press buttons.

There are no other guidelines.

Wait; make sure you know that the Channeler's Trident is the Salad Fork and the Four Pronged Plow should be used for your entree.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Can I still use the MLBH for kabobs?...and I've been doing it SOOOO wrong.

Its a SALAD fork.....Look Skyward 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:16 am