Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
dalsio
twigsterxd
Serious_Much
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
IHateTheFourKings
9 posters

playing unpatched

IHateTheFourKings
    IHateTheFourKings
    Addicted
    Addicted

playing unpatched Empty playing unpatched

Post by IHateTheFourKings Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:35 am

I have an Xbox 360 and play Dark Souls on that, and boy do I regret not going with the PS3 instead. Never mind that I can forget about playing Demon's Souls, I can't even apply patches because I don't want to pay a bloody fee just to be able to access the internet to apply patches. It doesn't help that I'd have to buy an adapter (I have a "first-generation" 360), which means giving Microshaft even more money for something I should have for free. It really sucks when you have to pay, just so you can pay for dlc and such.

Anyway, to the crux of the issue: I'm paying unpatched. I can deal with the bell gargoyles giving me only 1500 souls, and I can deal with the giant blacksmith not selling upgrade materials, but what concerns me is the fact that my +5 black knight greataxe is only doing 558 damage at 40 strength and 20 dexterity when it should be doing 610. I feel like I should be one-shotting the guys in upper blighttown in NG+, but I'm not. Are there any other big disadvantages to not having the game patched?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

playing unpatched Empty Re: playing unpatched

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:38 am

That's odd, I thought the BKGA got nerfed (never used the weapon so I don't honestly know) so, in theory, by playing unpatched you should be using the stronger version of the ax.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:44 am

Drop rates are way lower

Soul drops in general are lower

No DLC

Noone except the guy in new Londo can uncurse you.

Sunbros are 50 faith to enter (if you want lightning spears)

Good things though! You can make money by trading certain items and selling them to frampt, bb glitch, dragon head glitch, pyro is insanely powerful and iron flesh is ridiculous, no protective wall against one shots, ultimate dwgr.
    IHateTheFourKings
    IHateTheFourKings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by IHateTheFourKings Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:45 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:That's odd, I thought the BKGA got nerfed (never used the weapon so I don't honestly know) so, in theory, by playing unpatched you should be using the stronger version of the ax.
    I heard that it got nerfed in patch 1.06, though it could be that an earlier patch buffed it before 1.06 brought it down again. If that's the case, it seems like an attack of 610 would be outdated. Unless, of course, it was even higher than that before 1.06. I wonder if I could find some data on the damage of the weapon as of each patch.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:31 am

Also some mobs don't give souls. Drops suck.
    Just curious if you could do what ps3 does. When I got my new, (used), ps3, I had to download patches from playstation in order to get it to work. Can you download the patches off Microsoft or maybe some other free site? This way you could possibly play online.
    dalsio
    dalsio
    Regular
    Regular

Post by dalsio Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:38 am

You can find in-depth patch notes here.

There have been many bug-fixes and a few exploits fixed, as well as several changes to online and PVP play, but some things about offline play of note are:

• Lock on range in general has been increased, and target acquisition/switching has been improved
    • The giant blacksmith in Anor Londo now sells Twinkling titanite
    • Ingward (from new londo) now sells transient curses
    • Various changes to armor, weapons, weapon upgrades, and magic as a whole

If you're having some bugs or issues, I suggest perusing the bug-fix sections of the patch notes. I don't know your playstyle, so I don't know which sections are of interest to you, but it's categorized pretty well for ease of use.
    IHateTheFourKings
    IHateTheFourKings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by IHateTheFourKings Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:51 am

To think, I'm only missing out on this stuff because I like the 360 controller better than that of the PS3. I like how the PS3 has a free version of online and a paid version. The free version would be perfect for someone like me who doesn't care about multiplayer but wants access to updates and dlc. I miss the days when dlc was released on discs like it was with Fallout 3.

Thanks a lot, Microsoft! ASDFGHJKL
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Doesn't xbox live have a free "silver" membership that does in fact allow some online features to work?
    dalsio
    dalsio
    Regular
    Regular

Post by dalsio Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:11 pm

PC master race FTW. I'm sitting here with my cheap PC and my cheap internet and my cheap keyboard and mouse and loving every minute of it. Sure I can't play demon souls (single tear) but at least I have DSMfix to keep my fingers from bleeding too much. silly

I haven't owned a next-gen console in years, and I'm not at all the worse for wear. *sits in a corner at night and cries from the lack of JRPGs*Prostration
    ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Regarding the BKGA, AR =/= Damage. Different enemies have different defense. It gets fairly complicated but you can use this if you really want to see how damage and defense interact:

https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/mini-calcs (scroll down)
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:20 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:Doesn't xbox live have a free "silver" membership that does in fact allow some online features to work?
    Although I'm too lazy to look it up, I do recall that you can still see messages and bloodstains, but that you couldn't summon or be invaded.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:27 am

Back Lot Basher wrote:
    TheMeInTeam wrote:Doesn't xbox live have a free "silver" membership that does in fact allow some online features to work?
    Although I'm too lazy to look it up, I do recall that you can still see messages and bloodstains, but that you couldn't summon or be invaded.
    My point is that I suspect silver membership allows you to access patches and (of course) purchase games in xbox live arcade.
    tigab95
    tigab95
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by tigab95 Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:58 am

TheMeInTeam wrote:
    Back Lot Basher wrote:
    My point is that I suspect silver membership allows you to access patches and (of course) purchase games in xbox live arcade.
    Yes , i have an xbox and silver membership allows you to get patches and to download games and content
    IHateTheFourKings
    IHateTheFourKings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by IHateTheFourKings Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Okay. This is probably a dumb question, but is there any way to connect my 360 to the internet without needing the adapter? Because if I shell out the $50 or so for that, I may as well pay for a gold membership.
    tigab95
    tigab95
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by tigab95 Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Is it one of the firsts Xbox 360 or one of the more new ? If its an old withe one you need an adapter but if its one of the more new black ones you can get wireless internet , no adapter needed
    dalsio
    dalsio
    Regular
    Regular

Post by dalsio Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Wait, it doesn't have an Ethernet port? What kind of port does it have?!? I don't know much about XBoxes but if it has an E-port then you should just be able to smack an ethernet cable right from your internet (wherever that comes from, modem, wall jack, satellite, giant antennae maintained by garden gnomes) to your console. If it doesn't have an e-port and it doesn't use wireless and there's no mystical voodoo crap happening that I don't know about, then Microsoft is weird and the guy who thought that up in a board meeting should be covered in butter and mailed to Paula Deen.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:06 am