Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
FruitPunchNinja
TehInfamousAmos
reim0027
Seenblack
Bioraptor
dirkdeadeye
Katakato
Extertionist
RANT
vageta31
BLA1NE
cloudyeki
PlasticandRage
Imarreteet23
Federally
Dubscythe
20 posters

What's the best %100 physical block shield?

Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What's the best %100 physical block shield? Empty What's the best %100 physical block shield?

Post by Dubscythe Sun May 13, 2012 11:52 pm

I'm working on my first PvP character and I want to try something simple, 40/40 with Sunlight Straight Sword, solid/balanced armor and WoG because I need a bit of a crutch (not to spam, of course).

I wanted to know if you guys had any shield recommendations?
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

What's the best %100 physical block shield? Empty Re: What's the best %100 physical block shield?

Post by Federally Sun May 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Crest shield or Black knight shield, depends on whether you wanna block more magic or fire.

Personally I just stick with BKS all the time because its stability at +5 is very very high
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What's the best %100 physical block shield? Empty Re: What's the best %100 physical block shield?

Post by Imarreteet23 Sun May 13, 2012 11:56 pm

There are a lot of good ones. Really, I have always thought that, for shields, looks are just as big a factor when choosing one as stats. But, a personal favorite is the Balder Shield. It looks totally awesome.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun May 13, 2012 11:57 pm

What size shield are you thinking? There are great ones in all 3 sizes, but obviously the bigger you get the better stability you get.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Sun May 13, 2012 11:58 pm

Balder Shield for looks and stability. Grasscrest for the stamina regen, but you won't need it since you've got a stamina light weapon.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Mon May 14, 2012 12:00 am

PlasticandRage wrote:What size shield are you thinking? There are great ones in all 3 sizes, but obviously the bigger you get the better stability you get.

I don't want a greatshield, I want to be able to parry.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon May 14, 2012 12:04 am

As was said already: the Crest and BKS are both solid choices. The Grass Crest doesn't have 100% physical res, but it's close enough that it might as well, and it's other ability makes it well worth it. The Blood Shield is a good solid choice for status stuff. For mediums I usually go with the Grass Crest. The Balder is good, but I only use it if I haven't gotten the BKS yet.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon May 14, 2012 12:12 am

Dubscythe wrote:I'm working on my first PvP character and I want to try something simple, 40/40 with Sunlight Straight Sword, solid/balanced armor and WoG because I need a bit of a crutch (not to spam, of course).

You mean 2 crutches then; a shield and WoG? silly

Seriously though, how are you going to get WoG into a 40/40 character? You'll need to sacrifice all your Vit and End which, in the end, will leave you at a much bigger disadvantage than not having WoG. So lose that crutch!

On topic: if I used a shield in PvP, and wanted a 100% phys block one, it'd be the heater shield. Weighs 2 lbs, goes up to 68 stability, and has 70 fire defense (you shouldn't block fire and magic anyways--dodge instead). If you want more fire defense, upgrade it along the fire path and it goes up to a whopping 84, still with 100% phys block, a decent 55 stability, and still 2 lbs. What more could you need?
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Mon May 14, 2012 12:12 am

Silver knight shield for good stability and less str requirement to the black knight version. Even though the grass crest is 95 it's still plenty good for blocking attacks, 5% isn't a bad trade-off for the stamina regen. Heater shield is also a damn good shield and very, very light. It allows you to squeeze in heavier armor/weapons in whatever your equip loadout is.

Seriously unless you're turtling with a spear/rapier, you don't need super high stability on a shield. How often do you actually block more than one or two swings of any attack before you parry or dodge?
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon May 14, 2012 12:14 am

BLA1NE wrote:
    Dubscythe wrote:I'm working on my first PvP character and I want to try something simple, 40/40 with Sunlight Straight Sword, solid/balanced armor and WoG because I need a bit of a crutch (not to spam, of course).

Seriously though, how are you going to get WoG into a 40/40 character? You'll need to sacrifice all your Vit and End which, in the end, will leave you at a much bigger disadvantage than not having WoG. So lose that crutch!

On topic: if I used a shield in PvP, and wanted a 100% phys block one, it'd be the heater shield. Weighs 2 lbs, goes up to 68 stability, and has 70 fire defense (you shouldn't block fire and magic anyways--dodge instead). If you want more fire defense, upgrade it along the fire path and it goes up to a whopping 84, still with 100% phys block, a decent 55 stability, and still 2 lbs. What more could you need?

A fire extinguisher and a box of twinkies?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon May 14, 2012 12:55 am

if you wanna parry then the heater shild is the best.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Mon May 14, 2012 12:56 am

BLA1NE wrote:

I dunno, for some stupid reason I thought WoG had a low faith requirement.

I feel like a moron.
    Extertionist
    Extertionist
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Extertionist Mon May 14, 2012 1:25 am

I use the Grass Crest shield, 95% block isn't going to cost you anything to important and stamina regeneration can easily mean the difference between life and death. Not to mention you can always roll away from magic, pyromancy, or faith spells.
    Katakato
    Katakato
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Katakato Mon May 14, 2012 7:48 am

RantFromRant wrote:if you wanna parry then the heater shild is the best.

I keep hearing this over & over but to my knowledge it has the same hit (parry) box as the rest of medium shields.

Am i wrong ?

OT: Crest is my personal favorite, Heather for it's light weight, Dragon Crest if you have problems with Pyro (combustion) spammers, Grass Crest for Stamina regen and Balder for swag.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Mon May 14, 2012 7:50 am

Thanks for the post guys, I've decided on what shield I want to use and I'm trying a different build than the one I posted in the OP.

Thanks again, the thread has served it's purpose (for me anyway).
    dirkdeadeye
    dirkdeadeye
    Regular
    Regular

Post by dirkdeadeye Mon May 14, 2012 8:38 am

Silver knight has the best stability and good lightning resist, balder is up there in stability but lighter black knight has good stability, and amazing fire resist, heater is a 100% block that weighs hardly anything and has a fast parry, grass crest is cookie cutter 2h build bonus stamina

Those are my favorites.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon May 14, 2012 9:47 am

Katakato wrote:

I keep hearing this over & over but to my knowledge it has the same hit (parry) box as the rest of medium shields.

Am i wrong ?

OT: Crest is my personal favorite, Heather for it's light weight, Dragon Crest if you have problems with Pyro (combustion) spammers, Grass Crest for Stamina regen and Balder for swag.

it's the only med with a fast parry, blocks 100% phys attacks and has decent fire damage but if dub is gonna parry she shouldnt have to block(i never do) and its really light.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Mon May 14, 2012 9:51 am

RantFromRant wrote:
    Katakato wrote:

Am i wrong ?

it's the only med with a fast parry, blocks 100% phys attacks and has decent fire damage but if dub is gonna parry she shouldnt have to block(i never do) and its really light.

I'm male Rant XD
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon May 14, 2012 9:59 am

Dubscythe wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:
    Katakato wrote:

Am i wrong ?

I'm male Rant XD

oops, sorry dude, i actually meant to write he/she. again, sorry. but yeah go with the heater shield, i use it a lot when i have enough room, most of the time i endd up with the dark hand which is pretty awesome.
    Bioraptor
    Bioraptor
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bioraptor Mon May 14, 2012 10:31 am

There are factors that you need to account for when choosing a shield.

1,your build.
    2,what your trying to block.(Fire damage,magic damage etc)
    3,Do you want to parry or not?.

I like to run with a few.

My Dex build I have the Caduceus Kite Shield mixed up some times with the +10 Tower Kite Shield.

My Mage build I have the Crest shield or the Crystal Ring Shield.

My tank build I mix up a lot as there is a lot of options to go with,but it usually comes down to BkS and Great shield of Artorias.

There is no right or wrong set friend just go with what you feel suits your playing style.
    Seenblack
    Seenblack
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Seenblack Mon May 14, 2012 1:06 pm

The Heater shield and (Grass/Dragon) Crest Shields are very good overall shields depending of if you want the stamina regeneration, me personally I am stuck using the standard Knight Shield +10 (Lack of slab/chunks for +15) mainly because it fits well with the Elite knight armor on my PvP build.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon May 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Don't forget the Dark hand 80% in every type of damage, and weighs next to nothing. Stability sucks, but in PvP, stability isn't as important. I mainly use a shield for blocking the first attack. After that, you can usually dodge the second one.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Mon May 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Heater Shield
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon May 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Oops, didn't read the title. Missed the 100% block shield. Nevermind about the Dark Hand then.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Mon May 14, 2012 2:35 pm

well the shield with the best deff is havels shield. its just unpractical.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:26 pm