Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
retro
JoeBroski09
Kaminari
skarekrow13
mugenis4real
9 posters

Has anyone found out what rubbish does?

mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Has anyone found out what rubbish does? Empty Has anyone found out what rubbish does?

Post by mugenis4real Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:18 am

I don't understand why people go looking for the "secret" of the pendant, its just a trade item for snuggly. That's its function in the game, why do people think there's an actual use for it besides that? Might as well go looking for the purpose of rubbish lol
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Has anyone found out what rubbish does? Empty Re: Has anyone found out what rubbish does?

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:20 am

That's actually next on my list of things to discover the real use of. Once the pendant secret is found of course.

While that's a little tongue in cheek in all reality I have wondered about rubbish for real, there's just been more interesting things to uncover. For instance, comparing rubbish and the pendant....if someone discovers a painting with rubbish in it (like the one I found with the pendant) I will gladly look more into it. The difference is that there's more in game clues regarding the pendant than the rubbish as well as the quality of clues are better. Add in some hype from the director and you have lore search mode
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Has anyone found out what rubbish does? Empty Re: Has anyone found out what rubbish does?

Post by mugenis4real Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:34 am

Scratch that, I just looked at the lore page and whoa. WHAT DOES THE PENDANT DO!?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:38 am

Lol.....to be honest the answer very well could be "nothing" still. It definitely has lore connections but for "mechanical" uses there's still experiments to be done but.....well I'm sure you've seen the work that's gone into it.
    Kaminari
    Kaminari
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kaminari Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:02 pm

also, the use of rubbish could simply be to teach players to be carefull, most peope goes like "Oh Shiny big grin" *runs to grab and get ambushed by undeads*
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:44 pm

No! Bad Kaminari! Bad! One must never let logic get in the way of lore.

In other words, that does seem accurate based on the circumstances you obtain it in.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:53 pm

I believe Dough said that he believes the pendant was said to be what you should grab for the playthrough because it's relevant in the story. Idk why the dev would say "the pendant or nothing," though. So, I don't really know what it does, I have no idea why it has the wrong description, and I don't know why it was said to be one of the most important gifts to start out with. But... it was said. So.. ya know. We have to find the "why."
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:11 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:That's actually next on my list of things to discover the real use of. Once the pendant secret is found of course.
    I sort of wished the community approached this backwards, and saved the pendant for last.

Not that it's my place to tell others what to do, but I've read through a lot of different pendant theories and the testing that's taken place, and it seems like a good majority of it has been based on very speculative ideas with no indication that all the incredibly specific scenarios will lead to any results. I'm talking about things like matching covenants with pre-determined face types from the character builder, wearing certain armor while dropping the pendant somewhere, etc. Also trying to get more fires lit in the firelink alter with no indication that it'll work, or the assumption that the statues will reveal more than subtle backstory...

There are still smaller mysteries that have yet to be solved, like the conditions for creating and seeing miracle resonance signs, or creating vagrants- and these are things that we know are real. My cynical opinion on the pendant is that it has been somewhat of a distraction. If less than half of the effort that's been spent on trying to solve it was directed towards other unknowns, they'd probably all be solved and have much better explanations on the wikis.

I do understand the allure of the pendant, but after the text dump, 3D map viewer, and unused items / character models have been examined, it seems very unlikely that there are any big secrets left in the game. I would guess that if the pendant actually does something, its function is not asset-heavy and won't lead to unseen content.

If I'm wrong, the payoff will be HUGE, but every time I read about someone going to great lengths to solve the pendant / statues / lore, I feel like there are other things that are much more likely to have findable solutions with less effort.

Hope I don't sound too negative... don't mean to be too critical of others' efforts, but it's certainly driven me to be much more interested in every mystery that isn't the pendant or lore. happy
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:19 pm

That's definitely a great point actually and you're right that it has been a distraction to other things. I think though that it's partly because of the intrigue. The conditions of resonance and vagrants would be interesting to know but the very tangible nature of those things makes them less intriguing. Also, with the way the online works, they can be much more difficult to objectively assess. For instance, while Xbox videos show a ton of resonance rings there's rarely a Ps3 sighting meaning that PS3 testing might be next to futile. There's been organized drops of items to try to spawn vagrants but to assess thoroughly there would have to be not only organized drops but organized feedback on a much greater scale than what has been seen. The pendant and other lore that's been done to death are all capable of being done independently and more easily replicable which is attractive. Still I like your view that there's other secrets to keep exploring.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Rubbish can be traded in for a chunk, in which is a fragment of the titanite Slab. As players goes threw the trouble of fighting enemies to get this rubbish, it gives a somewhat idea as of what it states for the Chunk; As the Chunk means nothing in terms of power compared to the Slab, players fights across the world and goes threw all the trouble just to get these Slabs. The Stary Demon, the Onion Knight, and the Crystal Lizards of Great Hollow. If the player fails in any of these regards, or if luck is not on their side (or both), then they lose the slab.

As players also try to kill enemies again and again to obtain these Slabs, it shows the mockery that the Chunk also shows; As the player fights enemies in order to get the prize, they are only given rubbish. It may not be rubbish to most, but for those who aim to get the bigger prize, the chunks mean nothing as it stacks in their inventory, and they have yet to find the Slab, the treasure, that they look for.

The Chunk is metaphorically, symbolically, and literally a reference of the Chunk and Slab, and even Snuggly the Crow shows this; The Rubbish can be exchanged from the Rubbish to a titanite Chunk.
    CaptanSpudsy
    CaptanSpudsy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CaptanSpudsy Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Don't you know? Rubbish can be used in middle of a BS, which negates all damage and sends them flying into space.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Curses. The secret is out!
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Xacktastic once flew into the air, landed across the forest, and got backstabbed. We thought it was lag, but maybe someone glitched the rubbish!
    Jorund
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jorund Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:27 pm

If you think about it, all items can be bought or found throughout the playthrough. Rubbish is pretty much mandatory to find, if I remember correctly, and the pendant can only be chosen, found on Petrus, or obtained from FH invading. It's the same with equipment, sure, and titanite slabs. Acidic makes a great point in saying that it's a direct reference to the chunk and slab. But I think there may be something to be said of the limited availability of these things.

Then again I probably am completely off base.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:29 pm

"You sir, are off base!... it's a f**king cheeto!"

-Gustavo Sorola
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 pm

I must also add an error to your statement; Rhea, not Petrus.
    Jorund
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jorund Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Acidic_Cook wrote:I must also add an error to your statement; Rhea, not Petrus.

Unless you let Petrus kill Reah, which is the situation I was referring to.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:34 pm

I wouldn't say it would be found on Petrus, though. More so, the corpse of the White Lady by the hands of Petrus. I would not say that is found on Petrus.
    Estebanx1
    Estebanx1

Post by Estebanx1 Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:21 pm

I always wondered why there is a lack of resonance rings and vagrants on the PS3 version of the game :T. I just hope that we will see more of them soon.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Sir, I think you reached the wrong thread.
    Estebanx1
    Estebanx1

Post by Estebanx1 Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:39 am

lol its just a thought...anyways What does rubbish do in terms of combat?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:53 am