Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Murakumo the Legend, Gods of Japan, and the Review

ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Murakumo the Legend, Gods of Japan, and the Review Empty Murakumo the Legend, Gods of Japan, and the Review

Post by ARSP Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Well Guys it turns out the Murakumo is real.... sort of.

The Myth of Murakumo

The Weapon it's self is shrouded in mystery and legend. This tale might sound kinda familiar to anyone who has ever played a certain game (+1 if you are the first to guess right). Now the Full Name of the Murakumo is Ame-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi or Sword of Gathering Clouds of Heaven. The Legend of the Murakumo is written in the Japanese Myth Book called Kojiki.

The Story takes place in japan and starts when Susanoo encounter a grieving family of Kunitsukami or Gods of the Land. Essentially a Giant Monster with 8 heads has ravaged their family and eaten seven of the family's eight daughters. After doing a bit of recon Susanoo came up with a plan to defeat the Monster known as Yamata-no-Orochi. The only price the Susanoo demands in return for his help is the last daughter's hand in marriage which they accepted. After Turning the eight daughter into a Comb Susanoo Places eight Vats of Sake Upon eight Platforms while Yamato-no-Orochi was getting liquored up Susanoo lopped off each of his eight heads and four of his tails. After cutting off the fourth tail he found the Murakumo which gave to Amaterasu to settle an old feud.

Murakumo a few generations later was given to Yamato Takeru from his aunt Yamato-Hime. He later used Murakumo to cut grass after a treacherous WarLord tried to burn him to death by lighting grass on fire during a hunting trip. He used Murakumo to slice the burning grass removing the source of the flame. He renamed the sword Kusunagi-no-Tsurugi or Grass Cutting Sword. So essentially our Murakumo came from being a sword of the gathering clouds of heaven to a weed whacker. What a downgrade.

The History

The Weapon supposedly exists today but it has a tendecy to get lost, stolen or otherwise removed from public view.

The First story is that it is in Asuta Shrine and that it is not for public display. During the Edo Period a Monk did claim to have seen the sword. He described it as well maintained, shaped like a sweet flag with a white metallic color.

According the tale of Heike (a collection of oral stories) the Murakumo was lost a sea after the leaders of the Heike clan were defeated in a naval battle. Thenthe leaders commited suicide they took a sacred Jewel and Murakumo with them (the jewel was later recovered).

The Tenth Emporer Sujin has supposed created a replica of the sword. The Sword was later stolen although the royal family claims that the Replica was stolen not the sword it's self. The possibility of the real one being stolen and the fake still being there is just as likely.

Murakumo the Review

The Murakumo is a decent weapon if you have the Strength and Dex to wield it. While being limited only towards slash attacks it makes for this with a high starting damage. Because the sword is large it's attacks are kinda slow but they can sweep taking out multiple opponents at once (I would swap the weapon for one on one encounters). Despite requiring 28 strength to wield it only has an E scaling with strength which is a huge investement for a dex build. The reason why I say this is because the weapon has a B scaling in dex. It is largely impractical for strength builds. While the Murakumo looks nice and has high damage there are better alternatives for it's role. If you are running a Dex Build the Uchigatana, the Iato and the Washing pole are better picks if you are running a strength build the just about anyother great sword will do the job better than the murakumo. It can be buffed but then again so can most other weapons. I'd give the weapon 6/10 it is a decent weapon it does what it does very well but there are just better options out there.
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Murakumo the Legend, Gods of Japan, and the Review Empty Re: Murakumo the Legend, Gods of Japan, and the Review

Post by RandelOolacile Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:55 pm

Are we talking Okami here? If so I only know it cause of Amaterasu from UMvC3, silly. My other guess would be Sengoku Basara...

GREAT write-up! These are awesome to read! The fact that it's rumored to still be around in a clandestine location makes its appeal greater!
    big grin
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Murakumo the Legend, Gods of Japan, and the Review Empty Re: Murakumo the Legend, Gods of Japan, and the Review

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:46 pm

I knew about it already, it is fitting that the mighty Mura be named after the sword of legend. I disagree with your review, the reason the Mura has great stat requirements that aren't in line with its scaling is because it's a high-tier weapon that at +15 and 40/40 outdamages every other greatsword. It dead angles really well and can fend off fishers by fighting unlocked. It leaves the user less vulnerable than other greatswords, and a Str build can make it Lightning +5 and bypass the Dex. scaling.
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:I knew about it already, it is fitting that the mighty Mura be named after the sword of legend. I disagree with your review, the reason the Mura has great stat requirements that aren't in line with its scaling is because it's a high-tier weapon that at +15 and 40/40 outdamages every other greatsword. It dead angles really well and can fend off fishers by fighting unlocked. It leaves the user less vulnerable than other greatswords, and a Str build can make it Lightning +5 and bypass the Dex. scaling.

This is how I base my reviews

• Damage
    • Speed
    • Buffability
    • Stat Requirements
    • Moveset
    • PVP Practicality
    • PVE Practicality

the Murakumo has excellent damage, it can be buffed, and it is useful during PVE those are it's good points. But it is slow, Heavy, the Stat requirements are high, and the scaling is isn't that good compared to what it costs to use it. I don't think the weapon is terrible it is just above average. This is just my opinion you can rate it higher if you want. Truthfully Great Swords are not practical for PVP in general (great for a challenge though)
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:59 pm

RandelOolacile wrote:Are we talking Okami here? If so I only know it cause of Amaterasu from UMvC3, silly. My other guess would be Sengoku Basara...

GREAT write-up! These are awesome to read! The fact that it's rumored to still be around in a clandestine location makes its appeal greater!
    big grin

Correct!
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Bastard sword is next, right? big grin
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:03 pm

RandelOolacile wrote:Bastard sword is next, right? big grin

Yup next segment coming out on Monday got stuff to do this weekend

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:03 pm