Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
venomblader
Akatik
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
RANT
Herbo
djgq42
10 posters

Greatswords- what's so great about them?

djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Greatswords- what's so great about them? Empty Greatswords- what's so great about them?

Post by djgq42 Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:31 pm

i'd like to hear from some greatsword/str based weapon users as to which are thier favorites and why (doing some research on my first str/fth build). thanks.
    Herbo
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Greatswords- what's so great about them? Empty Re: Greatswords- what's so great about them?

Post by Herbo Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Black Knight Sword is pretty awesome, not just in looks but it also has a great base damage, good scaling, relatively low entry point for stats and it has a robust move set. It can get outclassed by the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias for physical damage once you level to the point that your stats are a bit mixed since it scales with four stats. But for a Strength build up to 40, early in the game and lasting through NG+?...BKS is an essential piece to have in your golf bag. Only downside is that you won't be able to enhance it like you can with more mundane weaponry.

Man Serpent Greatsword is fantastic since it's easy to get relatively early on in the game and you have the full menu of upgrade paths available for it.

I really haven't had a whole lot of experience with Ultra Greatswords so...I'll have to sidestep for someone else to weigh in there. But they all look pretty awesome :-)
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Greatswords- what's so great about them? Empty Re: Greatswords- what's so great about them?

Post by djgq42 Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:52 pm

thanks for the info (+1). do you find the msgs pretty quick for a greatsword?
    Herbo
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Herbo Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:57 pm

I think all the greatswords are in the same ballpark for swing speeds. The reason I haven't really plunged into the Ultra Greatswords is that I like to fight sword-n-board style and you really can't do that effectively with the UG's as they are really mean for the double grip afficianados.

That being said I think that the BKS is slightly faster (maybe a perceptive thing only?) than the Mono Sodium Glutamate-sword (MSG big grin ).
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:02 pm

msgs is awesome, it has an A in str, its really fast and puts out a lot of damage because of it, you sould go with that one for youo str/fai for sure, also the large and great are pretty awesome, they both hav A on str but prefer the great club for the better damage and reach but my fave weapon in the game hasto be the demon great machete with the msgs a close second. i just started using the clubs and theyre pretty awesome for pvp.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:03 pm

moonlight sword has a slightly higher speed and ridiculous stunlock and its special magic move, gah that things overpowered. at least lessen the stun!
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:12 pm

assuming that i go with the msgs, where should i cap str?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:14 pm

id say 30 str, how much fai do you plan on having?
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Greatsword of Artorias and Gravelord Greatsword user here. I love the way that they kill so quickly. It only takes a swing or two to drop most enemies. Since, I'm a blocker and counter-striker, I like to have to make as little hits as possible. The GSoA hits harder, but the Gravelord swings faster and has poison.
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:18 pm

RantFromRant wrote:id say 30 str, how much fai do you plan on having?

i am thinking 50 as i will eventually use sunlight blade
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:19 pm

i have a toon that has 30 str and 50 faith, its pretty good, im gonna test it this saturday in the fight club, just finished it.
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:21 pm

RantFromRant wrote:i have a toon that has 30 str and 50 faith, its pretty good, im gonna test it this saturday in the fight club, just finished it.

is there any advantage to increasing str as the blade scales to it ?
    venomblader
    Casual
    Casual

Post by venomblader Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:22 pm

In my own opinion, Greatswords and UG's are not good to pvp. They're uber for pve but if you aim for pvp, most of the strongest armors ingame, that you will meet in pvp have the highst defences on Regular and Slash type of dmg. That's why if you're STR kind of guy go for Hammers. Look at the armors and you will notice that even Smough's armor (highest physicall def ingame) has the lowest resistance to strike type weapons. Strike is meant to work on pvp the best :p

@ 3x up

Gravelord's greatsword hhas toxic not poison. You're welcome ;]
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:23 pm

not much, twoi handing it i tested it on the dw in ng with 30 and 40 str, the difference is about 80 or a little more, im not playing right now but i could posted later if you wanna know the excat number.
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:24 pm

I once got the Tower Knight in the painted world toxic. He kept flasking sad.
    nhbdy
    nhbdy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by nhbdy Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:28 pm

venomblader wrote:In my own opinion, Greatswords and UG's are not good to pvp. They're uber for pve but if you aim for pvp, most of the strongest armors ingame, that you will meet in pvp have the highst defences on Regular and Slash type of dmg. That's why if you're STR kind of guy go for Hammers. Look at the armors and you will notice that even Smough's armor (highest physicall def ingame) has the lowest resistance to strike type weapons. Strike is meant to work on pvp the best :p

@ 3x up

Gravelord's greatsword hhas toxic not poison. You're welcome ;]

If we're worried about PvP, I'd worry more about the moveset, as it determines how open you are to counterattack/BS as well as possible dead angles, the damage can be almost anything as long as it scales properly and you can optimize it. That said, greatswords are fairly popular for pvp (from my limited experience) I see a lot of claymores and msgs which tend to favor stunlock strategies against me (I do not optimize poise, makes things a little more interesting). Personally I use the mlgs and it is a powerhouse when it connects, the moveset is quick enough that I can usually get away before being punished too hard if I wiff, so all in all I recommend greatswords.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:28 pm

im not sure if youve seen this but its from the fight club and it'll give you an idead of the damge with sunligh blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0YZDsQ8zM&feature=g-upl&context=G267d91fAUAAAAAAAAAA
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:32 pm

RantFromRant wrote:not much, twoi handing it i tested it on the dw in ng with 30 and 40 str, the difference is about 80 or a little more, im not playing right now but i could posted later if you wanna know the excat number.

nah, don't worry about it, thanks anyway. i'm thinking something like this:

http://darksouls.itsthatguy.com/?c=Q2xlcmljLDEyMywzNSwxNiwzNSwzMCwyMCwxMSw4LDUw
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 pm

RantFromRant wrote:im not sure if youve seen this but its from the fight club and it'll give you an idead of the damge with sunligh blade.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0YZDsQ8zM&feature=g-upl&context=G267d91fAUAAAAAAAAAA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0YZDsQ8zM&feature=g-upl&context=G267d91fAUAAAAAAAAAA[/quote[/url]]

that's the demon machette, correct?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:35 pm

yeah, machete and great club.
    venomblader
    Casual
    Casual

Post by venomblader Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:43 pm

What's the lvl cap for fight club?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:53 pm

its sl 110 to 120, that way we can all summon each other and the people that feel their build is done at sl 110 or 115 can just leave it like that.
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:18 pm

on an off note, anyone had any experience with the dragon spear?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:27 pm

everyone says tha its starts getting good after sl 120 but it depends on how you distribute your stats, it can be goo in sl 120 but you have to sacrifice all the other stats.
    HelmHammerhand
    HelmHammerhand
    Casual
    Casual

Post by HelmHammerhand Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Can you pvp in fight club at SL 125?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:59 am