Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Hellion7776
reim0027
IV_Mark_VI
infofrog
TehInfamousAmos
Dragon Slayer Ornstein
Pesth
RANT
bjmacman
13 posters

Going for a cleric build......any advice?

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Going for a cleric build......any advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Going for a cleric build......any advice?

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Maybe post patch they'll be viable, but right now, you can't hit anyone with them. Rarely I'm hit, and only because of lag. They're so easy to dodge... PvE they're awesome, go for 20 faith right away and join the cov big grin
    bjmacman
    bjmacman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Going for a cleric build......any advice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Going for a cleric build......any advice?

Post by bjmacman Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Yep..... that's my goal. Not sure about armour, what do you recommend? Havel's ring will help build poise.
    Hellion7776
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Hellion7776 Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:39 am

Well, this come back to how in depth you are gonna be in making this character. Cleric or WotW sets both will do the job just fine for average use... But if you are planning on doing your own thing, you will be stuck min-maxing with everyone else. Play whats fun! Pick a theme and stick with it. My 3rd sunbro toon is about to move onto NG+ wearing full +9 Solaire's armor. No endurance or int added. The COOP is wonderful, and as a girl character in full Solaire's, the gankers are always making funny jokes about crossdressing or Solaire being a transgender! =) Jolly good fun!
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:07 am

My advice is not to use the A.S.S. It's the weakest SS for any SL120 build, almost undebateably.
    Tristan
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Tristan Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:13 am

I might suggest the Estoc as it is very knightly, and it just fits this game's interpretation of clerics. At 120, maybe something like...

http://tinyurl.com/bl7m86e

If you want fast roll you can switch some gear around. With these stats you can also Menu Swap the Darkmoon Bow in for more range. Feel free to switch out any of the spells or reduce end to give you more slots for sunlight Spear. Cleric helm can be switched out if it's too heavy for your taste.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Grab Astora Straight sword right away. Pump Faith to 20, and END, and a bit of VIT. Then push Faith to 30, same with END, keep str/dex lowish (just high enough to equip the weapons you want).

Join Warriors of Sunlight. Astora's straight sword should do you until you can get a good divine weapon. After Queelag, grind some greenshards from the Leeches, kill the moonlight butterfly with a Crossbow, get a good Divine weapon of whatever flavour suits your fancy (I like a mace on a cleric).

Push into the Catacombs, grab the excellent cleric spells such as TWoP. Tomb of Giants is pretty much undoable IMO until you get something that can create light (sunlight maggot).

Armour I'd use is Knight, Elite Knight, Chain, Cleric, Balder, Steel, Black Knight, or Paladin (if male). Female I'd throw in Maiden robes.
    bjmacman
    bjmacman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by bjmacman Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:53 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Grab Astora Straight sword right away. Pump Faith to 20, and END, and a bit of VIT. Then push Faith to 30, same with END, keep str/dex lowish (just high enough to equip the weapons you want).

A S S is ok so far, getting a bit tricky on later enemies. I think the CLAY might be a good divine weapon, I like the action. Got to go a kick the butterfly to get that ember.

Join Warriors of Sunlight. Astora's straight sword should do you until you can get a good divine weapon. After Queelag, grind some greenshards from the Leeches, kill the moonlight butterfly with a Crossbow, get a good Divine weapon of whatever flavour suits your fancy (I like a mace on a cleric).

Yup - joined the sunbros, did a lot of jolly coop and got myself the Lightening Spear. Kicks a$$ bigtime on the roof dragons but a bit slow. Still love the effect big grin

Push into the Catacombs, grab the excellent cleric spells such as TWoP. Tomb of Giants is pretty much undoable IMO until you get something that can create light (sunlight maggot).

Hmmmm..... TOG is a tough haul. I have to kill all Necros in the Catacombs to get some light. I don't want to try Lost Izalith just yet for the Sunlight maggots. So it's to the Catacombs next I guess.

Armour I'd use is Knight, Elite Knight, Chain, Cleric, Balder, Steel, Black Knight, or Paladin (if male). Female I'd throw in Maiden robes.

Always liked the Elite Knight set, very good all round. Might go for Paladin too, looks cool or the Cleric as I'm feeling the Faith. Is the Chain set any good? Never bothered with it but it might be an option.

Thanks for the tips..... I think I'm on the right track Going for a cleric build......any advice? - Page 2 2905764326

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Well, you can't get a divine weapon until you have greenshards. Assuming no BB glitch, the only place to get a good amount of those is blighttown. So you could make a run and farm leeches, but personally I'd just grab the A.S.S. and use it for the first part of the game. It's actually quite good early on with a cleric that is pumping faith. End game terrible though.

Elite Knight was nerfed on the PS3; if you're on the XBox it's great. Paladin is terrific, but you don't get that until much later.

Chain is underrated in my opinion; cleric's starting armour isn't good, and chain provides some early poise. I use it early game for fun. It's very light, the entire set weights only 17.2 units and has 26 poise. So I think it's quite good for early game. Depends how much you want to pump END early. If you're planning on it anyways, skip chain and grab Elite Knight (on 360). If you're delaying it, chain is good.
    bjmacman
    bjmacman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by bjmacman Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:27 pm

I'm in Blighttown now...... God what a dump, so hard but that's the fun, swore I'd never come back :affraid: . Using a reg clay and spider shield, no BB glitch. So I'm gonna have to farm those fat slugs.

I think I'll end up with Elite Knight, best value armour overall I think, looks the part too. Too late to go back for chain. I got the Spider Shield, it's keeping me alive.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Are you on Xbox then?
    bjmacman
    bjmacman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by bjmacman Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:38 pm

yup
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:41 pm

Groovy, add me if you wish:

VI Mark IV

I have a lvl 18 cleric that I'm doing very similar to this build. Let me know if you want to coop. Planning on Divine everything.
    bjmacman
    bjmacman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by bjmacman Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:54 pm

nice, will do. i'm up to lvl 30 something, i want to max my FAI and get a divine CLAY before I face Queelag
    Tristan
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Tristan Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:01 pm

I am Sl.27 using elite legs gauntlets, holy robe and chain helm with a dragon crest shield and A.S.S. I'm rocking L.spear and G.Heal Exerpt for my miracles. I do relatively okay. I parry a lot so I am doing good in the burg, but I may have to switch my weapon before Blighttown.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:09 pm

My strategy is to pump Faith and VIT. End will be 3rd on my list. Unsure how far I've gotten... what timezone are you in, and when do you normally play? I'm in GMT-6
    bjmacman
    bjmacman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by bjmacman Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:44 pm

I play at all sorts of odd hours as I work shifts. I'm in UK so GMT so I might see u on. I'm mixing FAI/VIT/DEX. for me no point in having great spears if they take too long to throw. If high DEX speeds up miracles then I want that for my kick-a$$ spears. Love the action and graphic of the sunlight spears. I got a roof dragon mid-air today on the final shot - it was AWSOME.

I need to go to Catacombs to get some better miracles from the maiden, but got to get thru BLOODY Blighttown 1st
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:50 pm

In PvE, you can land Spears. In PvP, even with maxed dex, you won't hit. It doesn't really matter IMO.

Roof Dragon: do you mean Gargoyles?

I'm going to really try to get Reah (or is it Rhea?) as well, as her miracles are awesome.

Likely I'll focus on STR to get Grant (because I've never used it) so keep your dex big grin
    Tristan
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Tristan Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:51 pm

bjmacman wrote:I play at all sorts of odd hours as I work shifts. I'm in UK so GMT so I might see u on. I'm mixing FAI/VIT/DEX. for me no point in having great spears if they take too long to throw. If high DEX speeds up miracles then I want that for my kick-a$$ spears. Love the action and graphic of the sunlight spears. I got a roof dragon mid-air today on the final shot - it was AWSOME.

I need to go to Catacombs to get some better miracles from the maiden, but got to get thru BLOODY Blighttown 1st
    I think you only start to see a difference at 20 dex and the speed becomes noticably different at certain intervals. Kinda like poise. I could be wrong but I just don't want you to be diappointed if you don't recieve a noticable difference ever 4-5 points you spend. 45 is ideal and they come out really fast at this interval. It's pretty tough to predict. I believe martyesbrigade played a 40-45 dex spear build that was tough. Toggle lock will be a strategy you want to try and master if you pvp with the spears. It's fun, as I have played with them successfully in pvp but it is hard to master.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:55 pm

I can't imagine hitting anything at range by not locking on... maybe at short range, or point blank, or trying to get them to roll into/behind you... hm.
    Tristan
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Tristan Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:57 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:I can't imagine hitting anything at range by not locking on... maybe at short range, or point blank, or trying to get them to roll into/behind you... hm.

Its more of a mid range skill in PvP, but yeah some popular tactics is to lead a player into it and to use trickery to point blank blast them. Thing is tho at 45 dex and 50 faith with one of the miracle rings or the crown's you can 1hko or even 2hko people if it lands.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:59 pm

"I'm in Blighttown now...... God what a dump"

Great quote.
    KiDisaster
    KiDisaster

Post by KiDisaster Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:44 pm

I've been considering doing a cleric build all day myself (Slow day at work) and messing about with the character builder.

Thinking I'm gonna go for a "Paladin style" STR/FAI build focusing on using maces and offensive miracles. Based on the advice here I'll probably grab the Astora sword to use at first until I can get the mats for a divine Mace. Eventually want to get the Grant from Leeroy and use that.

Just love the idea of smiting things with lightning bolts and then smacking them down with a massive hammer.

Looking at this for the Grant http://tinyurl.com/grantbuild Or this if I decide to stick with the Divine Mace and prioritize lightning throwing http://tinyurl.com/macebuild

Not sure how viable these are though, I'm completely new to this whole theorycrafting thing silly So any input would be appreciated.
    bjmacman
    bjmacman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by bjmacman Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi

I'm no expert by any means, but I'd put a bit more into END. However if ur keeping to 120 then u'd have to take it from somewhere else. In ur STR build u could have one less ATT slot or drop the FAI. And in ur FAI build u could lose some from STR, u don't need it to swing the mace.

But with a high STR/FAI it means you can wield some heavy weapons and do some damage with ur faith (WOG,SS).
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 pm

For the mace build:
    No point raising dex to 10, unless you want to use Claymores.
    If you're going to raise your STR to 40, I would keep the mace at +15 (have another mace with Divine +10). Buff your regular mace with Sunlight blade.

If you only want Divine Weapons... well, split damage sucks. But as it's PvE it should be OK. You might want to not pump STR and just allocate those points into VIT, END and ATT and choose an Occult weapon instead. I wish the builder showed what portion was physical and what was magical.

Anyways, if this is for PvE, whatever suits your fancy. But if you have a +40% to all miracles in terms of damage, drop the str, get more VIT/END (will stack with RoFaP better), get more miracle spells that do damage. Emit Force, more spears, more WoG.
    bjmacman
    bjmacman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by bjmacman Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Listen to what IV_Mark_IV says - he knows what he's talking about.

Praise The Sun Praise the Sun

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:32 pm