Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
mugenis4real
DamageCK
Tolvo
Garl_Vinland
callipygias
StarScarJenova
RANT
sergeantstrawbery
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Pratix
Rifter7
15 posters

What do you like to see in DkS youtube videos?

Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

What do you like to see in DkS youtube videos? Empty What do you like to see in DkS youtube videos?

Post by Rifter7 Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:00 pm

i was considering getting a capture card just to record forum and covenant fights for people interested.. but i might make a youtube channel for dks too.

i thought i'd ask tho..
    what do you guys like to see on youtube videos?

Spoiler:
    Pratix
    Pratix
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

What do you like to see in DkS youtube videos? Empty Re: What do you like to see in DkS youtube videos?

Post by Pratix Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Hey, I would like to know where to buy a capture card. Do you know where? Also I want to make videos, but I can't commentate because I'll get hated on for being young. Anyway I'd like to see Pvp videos.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

What do you like to see in DkS youtube videos? Empty Re: What do you like to see in DkS youtube videos?

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:16 pm

I think everyone's personality is different. You need to do what comes the most naturally to you, if it's PvP invasions - do that, if it's Let's Plays - do that, if it's plain horsing around with Prisms/Tridents - do that.

Ultimately, if you're engaging enough and are enjoying doing what you're doing people will have fun watching you. It's like when ENB (successful DkS YouTuber) started doing his playthrough of DeS with a Bastard Sword; it wasn't fun to watch because he wasn't having fun, by his own admission not a fan of the heavier weapons. Then when he started over with a Longsword he was enjoying playing the game again so the walkthrough became far more entertaining.
    sergeantstrawbery
    sergeantstrawbery
    Casual
    Casual

Post by sergeantstrawbery Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Pratix wrote:Hey, I would like to know where to buy a capture card. Do you know where? Also I want to make videos, but I can't commentate because I'll get hated on for being young. Anyway I'd like to see Pvp videos.

I would check on amazon if you hadn't already.It doesn't matter if you're young. people hate on young people for being immature or annoying, not just because their young. If your videos are good enough, people wont care. message me when you start making them, ill give 'em a look
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:23 pm

talk about awesome underrated weapons like the pickaxe, im sick of all these guys that post vids on them invading newbies or questers and get an easy parry and everyone saying how good they are...boring.
    Pratix
    Pratix
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pratix Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:12 pm

sergeantstrawbery wrote:
    Pratix wrote:Hey, I would like to know where to buy a capture card. Do you know where? Also I want to make videos, but I can't commentate because I'll get hated on for being young. Anyway I'd like to see Pvp videos.

I would check on amazon if you hadn't already.It doesn't matter if you're young. people hate on young people for being immature or annoying, not just because their young. If your videos are good enough, people wont care. message me when you start making them, ill give 'em a look

Alright seems true. Also I need the money to buy one. I probably will start off with a crappy one, then advance to a HD one. But school first. So I probably won't even get one til' christmas. Oh god.
    StarScarJenova
    StarScarJenova
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StarScarJenova Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:21 pm

RantFromRant wrote:talk about awesome underrated weapons like the pickaxe, im sick of all these guys that post vids on them invading newbies or questers and get an easy parry and everyone saying how good they are...boring.
    +1
    MILLION!
    I couldn't agree more!
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:46 pm

With the exception of ENB the playthroughs I've enjoyed the most are the ones with the most deaths. This became apparent to me when I was really enjoying a blind walkthrough, the guy was a Demon's Souls vet, so he was okay, but he still died a lot... until he got the Eagle Shield. Then it was all over: block - counter - block - counter. Dull as hell and I soon forgot about it.

I assume you're pro so that won't be an option, but unique weapons/gear is a cool idea. Being invaded regularly would also be fun, though if you're gonna incorporate pvp PLEEEEASE don't make rude gestures, no matter how well deserved it is.
    Garl_Vinland
    Garl_Vinland
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Garl_Vinland Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:49 pm

I wanna see Dragonbone Shroyukens! I always love to see people use really unique stuff!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 am

There are different things I look for.

Are they informative-Informative as in do they genuinely understand the mechanics and can they explain it in a concise manner for everyone to easily understand. Do they have perhaps sources or video footage to back up claims they have on the use of things, do they have step by step guides on how to do certain things in game.

Are they Creative-Do they invade with interesting set ups, not just cookie cutter gear. It's quite boring when every person on screen looks the same and it gets hard to tell each youtuber apart. The more you stand out the better, as it makes me remember the footage and who made it easier, as well it's overall more entertaining generally. I'm not even saying don't Min/Max, but if you do, do it in interesting ways. Such as a person with a faith build designed for using Karmic Justice for suicide, just an example.

Inventive Approach to Lore-I really love it when people discuss parts of the lore that aren't as interesting to most people. The stuff that is less discussed and understood, but still has a cryptic nature to it which can be explored. An example would be the discussion of the lore about the state of Balder, as opposed to just talking about the GoW. It is great too if they are accepting of the nature, and realize it is speculation, and offer varying view points rather than just the one they currently believe. Presenting it like an actual debate, showing every view point then listing off detailed explanations with parts of the game that backs up their hypothesis.

Kindness-I really like watching people who are friendly towards one another. Even if they gank, if they do it fat rolling with Caestus in smough costumes making a sumo ring, that's hilarious but not unfair to invaders. I like it when the person doesn't just complain about other players and is accepting of their own defeats, and is will to teach others who may be struggling.

I hope this feedback helps.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:27 am

Tolvo wrote:There are different things I look for.
    snip
    I hope this feedback helps.

i'd like to make guides and post informative videos primarily. i'm a fluent english speaker, too.
    they'd probably be a little chaotic/funny as well.

honestly i'd rather show something i want to teach others in a duel if it came to it, like a specific combo or tactic.
    most of the actual pvp videos would be requested duels or covenant fights.

i know very little about the lore... that doesn't mean i wouldn't want to discuss it, it's just that i'd be uncomfortable doing so...
    i'd also want to stay away from the speculation side of the dks lore because that seems to go in circles. (just coming from an outsider, i really don't know.)

well i can't decide if i'm nice or not honestly, that's up to a viewer... i do feel i give more courtesy to other individuals than i should, and i'd never berate them over youtube for having say summons with them and questing or doing newbish things. i also respect their privacy and would never list gamertags/psn's unless i was allowed to.
    i find in other videos that if it's not funny ranting, i don't want to hear it so i'd probably do the same.

yeah it did. helped me get a clearer idea on what i'd do.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:31 am

Yeah the combo and tactics would fall under the first thing I'd like to see, I wish you luck with your videos man, and I might be checking them when you get to starting up.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:16 am

You can get an HD PVR for $200 at Best Buy (in-store). They also have Dazzles for $60-$100.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:26 am

Original builds/Good cosplay ❤
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:55 am

Find a niche, something you enjoy doing/showing, that hasn't already been done to death. If it's something people want to see, they'll come. There are thousands upon thousands of hours of DkS footage on youtube so if you want to be somewhat successful your videos need to stand out. Either by being something new, or by simply being better than those that are doing similar things. If you've never made videos before then it'll be a huge learning curve. You won't get it right the first time, but if you keep at it you will improve greatly and your audience will notice.

From someone else who has a DkS channel, here's a few tips I had to learn.

1. Quality is important. Low quality footage may be ok for short simple videos about tricks or glitches, but most people aren't going to want to watch a 30 minute video that looks like they recorded it with their phone from a VHS tape while sitting at a 45 degree angle.

2. Commentary. People love commentary, I didn't even really know that until I finally added it to some videos and got a big response. It helps if you have a pleasant voice and have interesting things to say. If I don't add it to my videos I get a lot of complaints, so it's sort of a given now.

3. Polish. The more effort you put into your videos, the more people are going to enjoy watching them. Take the time to edit out loading times, redundant areas, etc.. If 10 minutes of a 30 minute video are wasted space then people won't be as willing to continue watching. If you take the extra effort in that department then they'll get a lot more bang for their buck time-wise.

4. Don't go wild with editing. A lot of new video makers are like kids in a candy store when it comes to their editing software. Their videos often end up like some sort of special effects greatest hits because they try to fit them all in. Most people enjoy very subtle editing so they can focus on the footage, not be distracted by bright neon letters, an overly loud substep soundtrack and a 30 second animation logo intro. It's the content that's important, not the flashy special effects.

5. Listen to your viewers. By all means make the type of videos you enjoy, but if you have enough viewers that offer critiques to improve the videos then take them seriously. It shows them that you're paying attention and want to interact with them. You can't please everyone, but often you'll find a majority opinion on something.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:25 am

^Solid advice.

One other thing I might mention is that if you're putting together a pvp montage, mix up your builds/gameplay/pvp area. 10 minutes of setup parries was sort of cool back when I didn't understand the mechanic, but that sort of thing gets (is) old.

At this point, even though the DkS YouTube community is relatively small, they've got the majority of the bases covered, especially regarding PvP. So you either need to come up with something completely original, or like V said, you've got to do it at least as well, if not better, than the people who are doing it already. I'd wager the vast majority of people who watch PvP vids regularly are probably pretty damn good themselves, so they're going to be expecting a certain level of skill from people who actually post gameplay. At least, I know I do, and the YT crowd can be particularly unforgiving of people who don't deliver.
    Xskulled
    Xskulled
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Xskulled Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:44 am

vageta31 wrote:Find a niche, something you enjoy doing/showing, that hasn't already been done to death.

This x1000.

Everyone has their own style. Some like to commentate, others like to cut straight to the action, ect.

I
    like to make unique builds and showcase them in PvP without commentary.
    I like to cut out all the loading screens and make the videos pretty
    straight forward, but still have room for showing off my build in the beginning of the video.
    VinheimProfessor
    VinheimProfessor
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by VinheimProfessor Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:47 am

Personally, I like to see particular well-done fights with non-standard movesets (backstab, parry, riposte gets boring after a while), stylish finishing moves and groups of people moving around killing things in cool/funny ways (like 2 players tanking O&S while 2 other players in the Princess Guard use Replenishment and SS and BS to keep their health up).

This video, for example, is very humorous and well-done:
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:50 pm

thanks for the advice guys, vageta i like your parry video

and id be getting the dazzle.. while i know the hdpvr is nice, i don't want to spend 200 dollars on this.
    3DHero
    3DHero
    Casual
    Casual

Post by 3DHero Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Do not get the dazzle! I got it the first time when i started recorded and broke within a month 😢 I suggest you wait and save up until you get the HD PVR then save up some more until you get a video editor software if you're going to be upload a lot.

If you're going to upload dark souls videos, i Suggest you upload things that you find interesting like the lore of dark souls, the balder knights or fun cosplay armours. also don't upload things that have been seen by a lot of people, get creative and try new stuff, invade people with unique armour sets that you thought of, use weapons that people will never touch.

All am trying to say to you is, have fun.Be creative but, have fun. listen to you're subscribers and you're get far on YOUTUBE.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 3:41 pm