1. You need a host Gravelord (for those who don’t know basics of gravelording please refer this video tutorial).
2. Victim (infected player) is human, boss in victim’s world must be defeated for single play with no incoming invasions (btw, this is the best option for mapping the black phantoms) or alive for coop play or single play with invasions.
3. And here is a key for successful infection. Victim MUST enter NG+ or higher, NG doesn’t work!!! Host plays NG or higher.
4. After you met first three requirements, you have to establish stable connection between host and victim. Victim drops red sign soapstone. Host summons and kills the victim or victim uses black separation crystal. When the victim is returning to his world, host drops an Eye of Death (EoD) immediately. Congratulation, you’ve spawned black phantoms in victim’s world.
This method is reliable (it worked 100% for me) and let you to explore infected world without time limit. But it has one side effect. Host should be a patient, use to wait and be able to defend incoming invaders. As we all know nothing in this world is 100% sure. They are many factors which might affect successful infection, such as soul level, player’s traffic, NG, etc... Soul level of the host and victim is important factor but not crucial (mine was 127, the most active one. To avoid high traffic increase your soul level above 125 or better play low soul level). Player’s traffic is vital, high traffic reduces probability to successfully infect and connect with specific victim. NG is very important, If your lobby is full of NG players your NG+ victim will be infected by host. If your lobby is filled with NG+ players forget about infection. If your lobby (victim's lobby) is filled with other NG+ players, NG+ victim in the lobby has less chance to be infected by host since other NG+ players compete with the victim for the same Gravelord (your host). I’ve tested other variations of infection with white sign soupstone, black separation crystal and all worked well in my hands. Method with WSS is especially useful for a coop play. I’ve also tested an effect of NG on infection, offline mode, internal black phantoms clock, dry fingers... All these features are welcome to know if you want to play without a host. For further information refer this video tutorial
Techniques for getting un-gravelorded: How do I get rid of black phantoms and perma-gravelordning?
1. If you lose connection with the Gravelord servant, an invisible timer is set to ten minutes. After ten minutes pass, a "disasters are gone..." message will appear automatically and the black phantoms will disappear. Resting at a bonfire, dying or quitting/reloading the game will reset the timer, allowing the black phantoms to last indefinitely. If you reset the timer before the ten minutes pass you will get a wrong impression being permanently gravelorded for a long period.
2. If you go online, find a buddy Gravelord servant and ask him to infect you on purpose. Invade in his world, kill him, after "disasters are gone..." message will appear, black phantoms will disappear.
How successfully infect a host as a white phantom or dark spirit?
Best way to get people infected with BPs is to join their game as a white phantom or duel with them as dark spirit. Only limit: host must be NG+. Before you leave the host you have to decently ask him if he is in NG+. And if he says yes then grrrrrr.... After return as white phantom or dark spirit back in your game you just drop an EoD. The results are seen in the video.
SPECIAL NOTE: November the 2nd, 2012, Players can only see the black phantoms in NG+ and above. NG+ seems to be confirmed by this Miyazaki interview.
Last edited by Al1000 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:20 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : UPDATE)