Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Spurgun
Rifter7
WyrmHero
7 posters

Goodbye gameinformer

WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Goodbye gameinformer Empty Goodbye gameinformer

Post by WyrmHero Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:08 am

After almost a year of not paying attention to any game other than DkS, I went on again in the search for good games. Gameinformer was the only magazine I had access to due to the subscription of Gamestop points card, and the cheap price and bonuses it offers. For almost 2 years I've been member of the magazine, and I have noticed a strange pattern in its reviews and articles.

The magazine has a obvious bias towards North American games and towards the xbox. I never had the opportunity to buy an xbox, so all my gaming systems after the super nintendo were the playstations. Before going further with the rant, you might call me a playstation fan boy, because when I had the opportunity to buy a new gaming system, I chose the PS3 instead of the xbox 360.

Anyways, I'm not so pissed by their bias towards xbox, but this leads them to focus more on American game releases, XBLA indie games and almost always top scoring reviews for multiconsole, "triple AAA" games. Almost all their magazine covers features an american game, I was amazed to see mario wii u was chosen as this month's cover. The only Japanese game to have a 10 score review is MGS4. They have a serious bias towards games like Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect. Their 2011 best shooter was MW3, when clearly BF3 is a better game. Their 2011 game of the year and best RPG was Skyrim, yet the game is almost unplayable on PS3 and there were better RPGs that year. My favorite obviously was DkS, and I heard awesome feedbacks on the Witcher 2.

Their DkS review was lame, they gave it 8.75 and the guy didn't even played the PvP, one of the most exciting things of DkS. They haven't announced nothing on the DLC, nor gave a review to the PC Edition.

So that's it, goodbye gameinformer, I won't buy your subscription anymore. F*** the points. Not going to buy any used games from gamestop neither lol. If you guys can suggest good unbiased gaming magazines and sites it'll be very much appreciated.

TL;DR GI has a ridiculous bias towards the xbox and american games.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Goodbye gameinformer Empty Re: Goodbye gameinformer

Post by Rifter7 Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:19 am

sounds like a lame magazine..

i dunno tho, you can't really compare and rank bf3 and mw3. theyre not the same, and theyre pretty on par for their pros and cons.. so it's just a matter of opinion.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:36 am

Of course they're not the same, CoD is close quarters combat, where you can use snipers as assault rifles. Battlefield is a much complex, grand scale game. It also has better graphics and sound. And killing things with a jet is f*cking awesome. Don't take it personal rif I know you're playing MW3 now lol.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:41 am

i actually played bf3 a ton on xbox too.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/Rifter7/stats/277905297/xbox/

imo mw3 is better. the older battlefields are better tho

Last edited by Rifter7 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:47 am

ive got 622 vehicle kills with jets btw happy
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:54 am

I forgot how many I got, last time I tried a jet I was getting chased constantly by a pro pilot. I was pretty good when no one knew how to fly the things. DkS took too much of my gaming life, looking forward to buy the DLC.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:55 am

I really like BF3, but i made the mistake of buying it to console instead of PC sad. It's so hard to aim on the console.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:57 am

i dunno man. i swapped out my mom, giants and dwgr set to get ready for ptde and i'd keep running into people using the same gear and dwgr and i felt like snapping the god damned disc. i'm stuck between playing at a disadvantage to get ready for ptde or going back to my old stuff and not being ready.. so i didn't do either hahaha.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:03 am

I meant the BF3 DLC lol, but DkS DLC too obviously. I heard there's a new badass airplane.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:07 am

Spurgun wrote:I really like BF3, but i made the mistake of buying it to console instead of PC sad. It's so hard to aim on the console.

It's super hard that's one of the reasons most guys don't try Battlefield. But once you get used to it, it feels natural to kill a guy 50 feet away from you.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:10 am

yeah.. i turned the aim assists off after a while. theyre so wonky.

you should try that.
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:25 am

Even the CoD makers know BF3 is better, they had to change the games main theme just to not go bankrupt because of BF3...

BTW The Witcher is F***ing amazing cheers
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:41 am

change the games main theme?
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:54 am

The Robots, Zombies & Cold War of 2025 Futuristic Warfare part, CoD was always based on 'realistic warfare' but BF3 beat them at it...
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:05 am

a magical box dispenses ammo and healing properties, you can hit a teammate with a .32 cal bullet lodged in his brain with a paddle to revive him and suddenly every grunt knows how to drive tanks, helicopters and jets.

players can get shot multiple times and hide behind a dumpster for a few seconds to fully regenerate, slashing someones arm with a basic combat knife results in an insta death and "special training" results in players being immune uav reconnaissance, renders them invisible to any pilot in the area and allows them to transform any ammunition into the ammo they need.

i can go on and on... the point is both of them where never meant to be realistic shooters. your point doesn't really make any sense.. if you want that- a realistic shooter, i'd suggest arma or red orchestra.

don't even get me started on the fact that a rifleman can pick up a sniper and fire it at long ranges with no obvious prior training either.. or any weapon really- that stuff bothered me the most.
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:25 am

Hahaha, they are games O_o what do you expect them to be perfect in every way with all the parts of real warfare but yeh BF3 is as realistic as a shooter gets...

Oh and if you think your so smart go and make your own shooter with friendly fire, no way to review a team mate, an advance tutorial that needs to be completed for every type of transport and maby add a bladder meater, a food bar, illnesses, sleep meater and one life per player account, that will be so FUN! :shock:
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:28 am

I thought he meant that CoD was always history wars and present warfare while DICE did BF 2000 idk some time ago.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:43 am

Spurgun wrote:I really like BF3, but i made the mistake of buying it to console instead of PC sad. It's so hard to aim on the console.

Lol that you think aiming is the problem on consoles, I got it on ps3 and it's garbage compared to the pc version, the console versions feel like they're empty on the biggest malts it's so boring.

@wyrm yeah dude they're very biased but Imo every magazine and website is a little biased since he people they hire have a system they prefer. Gameinformer is one of the most biased I've come across, they love they're xbox.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:48 am

I'm probably going to buy it for PC later. silly
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:08 am

OMG thank you rant for saying that I knew I wasn't crazy lol.
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:48 pm

I was also disappointed when i saw they didint put a dark souls DLC review. But they are mostly opinions, Dark Souls is still going to be awesome, no matter what they say about it. The DLC is still coming out! dont be frustrated, gameinformer is mostly a bunch of dipshits anyway!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Reviewers are people, just like anyone else.

I have a problem with most reviews, even when I agree. In my mind, the goal of a review should be to, as objectively as possible, determine and relay the quality of a game and its varying aspects.

This is independant of personal opinion. I don't like left for dead. I would call left for dead a high quality game and reccommend it to anyone who was into that sort of thing.

Thus, when reading reviews, instead of considering the reviewers opinion I pick out the details of the game that are mentioned and generally already know wether or not I like that detail in the type po game I'm reading about. This practice makes it important to read several reviews to get as much information as possible if I'm interested in a game but still on the fence about buying it.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:07 pm

Yah it's better to read the review for the details of the game and then watch a bunch of gameplay videos of it which helps a lot. I always try to rent games as much as I can just to make sure but you really should have an idea of what you like. Before demons souls came out I knew I was gonna love it just by looking at the videos.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Rin wrote:Hahaha, they are games O_o what do you expect them to be perfect in every way with all the parts of real warfare but yeh BF3 is as realistic as a shooter gets...

Oh and if you think your so smart go and make your own shooter with friendly fire, no way to review a team mate, an advance tutorial that needs to be completed for every type of transport and maby add a bladder meater, a food bar, illnesses, sleep meater and one life per player account, that will be so FUN! :shock:

like i said red orchestra or arma.
    but if you want to bring in stuff like that then you should consider stalker or bethesdas fallout new vegas.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:28 am