Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Revoltage
billy_bayonet
Ghadis_God
Glutebrah
The Letter X
cloudyeki
blackphantom08
BrotherBob
12 posters

Little tips and tricks for every PvPer

ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Little tips and tricks for every PvPer - Page 2 Empty Re: Little tips and tricks for every PvPer

Post by ErrJon6661 Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:50 am

@BrotherBob. Every thread turns into an argument or debate about something that has nothing to do with the original post. Its just a fact of the forum. Best thing you can do is wait for everyone to stop and get the post back on track. LOL.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Little tips and tricks for every PvPer - Page 2 Empty Re: Little tips and tricks for every PvPer

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:54 am

WyrmHero wrote:It is odd indeed. You're being tryhard by the constant researching, yet you're being selfish by not sharing information.

Well I do try hard. I try hard at everything I do. Except pooping. Don't want to damage myself.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:55 am

To the tactic of staying still after a backstab you could add a wake up parry. Unlock, as soon as you wake up, parry. Only works when 1 handing weapon. I rarely use it but it's useful.

Another tactic you might add is counter backstab. As soon as you see your opponent strafing towards your back, counter strafe towards his back and try to backstab him ASAP. If it works you'll get backstab but won't take damage. If it works very well you backstab the enemy instead of him backstabbing you.

Those 2 + toggle escape are the only ones I use and almost needed if you want to survive.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:11 am

WyrmHero wrote:To the tactic of staying still after a backstab you could add a wake up parry. Unlock, as soon as you wake up, parry. Only works when 1 handing weapon. I rarely use it but it's useful.

Another tactic you might add is counter backstab. As soon as you see your opponent strafing towards your back, counter strafe towards his back and try to backstab him ASAP. If it works you'll get backstab but won't take damage. If it works very well you backstab the enemy instead of him backstabbing you.

Those 2 + toggle escape are the only ones I use and almost needed if you want to survive.
    Thanks for the great input. My only question would be: does the unlocked parry work even if your opponent isn't facing you? I've never tried it.
    The second tip, on the other hand, I can vouch for. It use that all the time.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:19 am

You have to face them and then parry.

Last edited by WyrmHero on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:19 am

Why am I being selfish? I just don't want every ganker who knows how to look stuff up online to learn how to do X or Y. Most of my tricks will be of little benefit to new players, and most good players have their own, which keeps every PvPer unique and battles fresh.

On Topic: Straight swords consume very, very little stamina when 1handed. Even with low endurance you can get in a lot of swings, which can help against people who will assume you will stop swinging after 1 or 2 as most people do. If you miss the first, unlock and swing in their general direction a few more times, it's very likely they won't try to counterattack.

You might expect the proper use of a Strength Weapon to be to rush the opponent and pound them into the ground by breaking guard and poise. No. You have to be far more patient with a Str Weapon. You will either be able to block or dodge your opponent's attacks, so wait for an opening. Wait until they're low on stamina. You only need to get a three or four attacks in, a katana needs to get in ten or more at higher levels. So wait it out. Trade hits if you can afford to.

Strong attacks are rarely useless. Try to find situations in which they can be effective, the extra damage is a great boon.

Never dodge a spear by rolling backwards.

Opponent has a greatshield? Keep up the pressure with a bleed weapon, they can't parry you.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:21 am

WyrmHero wrote:You have to face them and the parry.
    Oh, I see. Usually, I stand still. I've been traumatized too many times by the chain BS.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:26 am

Ghadis_God wrote:Straight swords consume very, very little stamina when 1handed. Even with low endurance you can get in a lot of swings, which can help against people who will assume you will stop swinging after 1 or 2 as most people do. If you miss the first, unlock and swing in their general direction a few more times, it's very likely they won't try to counterattack.
    On the topic of fast weapons that consume little stamina: Buffs are a pretty good idea to keep in mind, so I think that prospective PvPers might want to consider not going down the elemental upgrade paths.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:28 am

BrotherBob wrote:
    Ghadis_God wrote:Straight swords consume very, very little stamina when 1handed. Even with low endurance you can get in a lot of swings, which can help against people who will assume you will stop swinging after 1 or 2 as most people do. If you miss the first, unlock and swing in their general direction a few more times, it's very likely they won't try to counterattack.
    On the topic of fast weapons that consume little stamina: Buffs are a pretty good idea to keep in mind, so I think that prospective PvPers might want to consider not going down the elemental upgrade paths.

This, what you said about buffs, is a completely viable, obvious, powerful tactic. Sadly buffs are pretty frowned upon in the pvp community 'cause like... it's effective lol
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:33 am

Buffs aren't frowned upon in higher level PvP. It's when a DM invades down to a SL 55 that you're gonna have a bit of a problem.

But do know that you shouldn't RELY on buffs. But it's a good idea to use buffs to augment your style. Came across a turlte with a shield with low magic? Buff a katana or PGS or barbed sword and go to town with the bleed and magic going through.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:34 am

Knight Alundil wrote:
    BrotherBob wrote:

This, what you said about buffs, is a completely viable, obvious, powerful tactic. Sadly buffs are pretty frowned upon in the pvp community 'cause like... it's effective lol
    It really depends on which PvP community. From what I've experienced, in some circles, you'll find people who buff their uber^epic heavy weapon to land a sure OHKO backstab. In others, the attitude is more similar to "Buff if you want because I can deal with it". With Japanese players especially, I've found that poise, backstabs, and buffing are all frowned upon. One Japanese player I've messaged defined a "fair fight" as "no bs, healing, buffs and overpowered armor".
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:35 am

It's all the 120 duelers that I hear complain about it. Whining about how it ends a fight in three hits and stuff. Though at the end of the day you should use buffs cause yknow... they're rly powerful big grin
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:36 am

BrotherBob wrote:
    Knight Alundil wrote:
    BrotherBob wrote:

It really depends on which PvP community. From what I've experienced, in some circles, you'll find people who buff their uber^epic heavy weapon to land a sure OHKO backstab. In others, the attitude is more similar to "Buff if you want because I can deal with it". With Japanese players especially, I've found that poise, backstabs, and buffing are all frowned upon. One Japanese player I've messaged defined a "fair fight" as "no bs, healing, buffs and overpowered armor".

Oh I know, It's just you said it on this forum so I was just letting you know what to expect here from some people big grin
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:37 am

You can get into the debate about whats "fair" and whats not or you can just play the game and have some fun. That's what its there for.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:38 am

Knight Alundil wrote:It's all the 120 duelers that I hear complain about it. Whining about how it ends a fight in three hits and stuff. Though at the end of the day you should use buffs cause yknow... they're rly powerful big grin

XD you kidding me? I end a fight in 3 hits with my great scythe regardless, GMW makes sure they fall into the dodging trap.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:39 am

We're saying what's frowned upon in different communitys, not discussing what's fair or not. Don't worry winking
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:40 am

cloudyeki wrote:
    Knight Alundil wrote:It's all the 120 duelers that I hear complain about it. Whining about how it ends a fight in three hits and stuff. Though at the end of the day you should use buffs cause yknow... they're rly powerful big grin

XD you kidding me? I end a fight in 3 hits with my great scythe regardless, GMW makes sure they fall into the dodging trap.

AAAAAAAAAAHHH NOOOOOOO NOT THIS AGAIN!!!

This happens on so many threads im in.

I didnt say that, im saying that other people say that. This is not my opinion. This is what other people say on this forum regularely and I am mentioning it here to point out what alot of people on this forum feel. These are not my feelings.

*Runs off crying*
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:42 am

Knight Alundil wrote:Oh I know, It's just you said it on this forum so I was just letting you know what to expect here from some people big grin
    Thanks! I'm all too aware that everyone's idea of "fair" is different. My new attitude toward the subject is: let everyone do what they think is "fair" and don't try to change it or else one should be prepared for some very angry messages. happy
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:43 am

Oh yeh totally, just do what you want. I much prefer to communicate with gestures anyway big grin
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:45 am

I should probably also mention something that I just remembered. Players who hate backstabs/ripostes can try fighting on the rotating staircase at Anor Londo as backstabs and ripostes are impossible to perform there.

Last edited by BrotherBob on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:46 am

Aw relax, I'm just ripping on ya for bringing up the japanese player thing. Honestly the idea of not using OP armor in a fair duel Look Skyward

Still, combining armor combinations is definitely better then relying on a single set. Makes things way more fun.

Oh yeah, pro tip. When you're going for beneficial armors don't be afraid of using the starting gear. The Pyro set has some of the best poison and fire res, and the black sorcerer set's res is top of the line.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:47 am

cloudyeki wrote:Aw relax, I'm just ripping on ya for bringing up the japanese player thing. Honestly the idea of not using OP armor in a fair duel Little tips and tricks for every PvPer - Page 2 2707236321

Still, combining armor combinations is definitely better then relying on a single set. Makes things way more fun.

Oh yeah, pro tip. When you're going for beneficial armors don't be afraid of using the starting gear. The Pyro set has some of the best poison and fire res, and the black sorcerer set's res is top of the line.

Oh... well then that wasn't me you confused two different forum members big grin
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:10 am

Nothing wrong with using buffs, just don't cry if the guy turtle dodges you until it runs out.

I personally hate using buffs because I don't find it fun for my self to 2-3 shot some one. But I enjoy fighting buffs, it adds difficulty to the fight.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:12 am

I don't like fighting buffs but do whatever you want. It's not unfair, you did devote stats toward it, but it's annoying to deal with, and when both sides buff, the match ends pretty fast.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:27 am

That's usually what happens. They buff, then I buff. You're right. Fights do end fast with buffing. I once killed another player within about 2 or 3 seconds with a Dagger +15 with CMW.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:53 pm